Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Most reliable in your opinion
Treadstone
31.03%
GReddy
68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

on my zpi stage 0 setup, the last time i dynoed, i got 260 whp, 267 tq....and that was without turning up the boost.....the sound of the open wastegate too is to die for...its freakin mean sounding as hell....
Old 04-01-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
Nauticalblue, Treadstone would be more available (considering location), and isn't ZPI w/ the injectors considered stg1? _
Stage 1 runs at 9-10 psi right out of the box (stage 0 at 6psi), and has 550cc injectors, Front mount intercooler, and pretuned emanaged. All this makes it have significantly more hp. I just like the Stage 0 because it gives you a building block to expand on as you get used to the power. As far as ZPI's customer service, I have heard accounts of Kenny flying to various places around the country to tune customer cars, as well as drive 3-4 hours to hand deliver much needed parts. I may also be a little ZPI biased, since they are only bout an hour from my house. On another note, I didnt realize the greddy came with a Front mount, which is a huge plus for reliability in my opinion since it gets rid of so much heat. You say Greddy was your gut instinct, so I would say go with greddy. They are all good kits IMO, just have slight differences. I've been helping a buddy work on hondas for about 8 years, and I've never seen a crappy part from Greddy, it is all top notch.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's all about the power you want to make. I honestly really like the GReddy kit and with your application, I'd say go with that.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you made a post/poll about 2 manufacturers.

But you asked which one is going to be more reliable......

they both offer the same reliablity if they both are tuned the same.

I get asked this question allot and no matter how good the components are it doesn't matter if the tune is crap = your reliablity is shot.

If the kit contains good components the reliablity comes from the tune. Who tunes your car, how familiar they are with the software(always something to consider when choosing management) that you are using.

You can go spend big $$$ on the best managment out there(Motec for example) but if your local tuner can't use it your stuck.......

Reliablity comes from the tune and how well you take care of your car ;)

Regards-

Todd
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont' know why you narrowed it down to those two. I'm not even sure how many greddy kits are out running compared to ZPI. But if your in Florida, I'd look into the Dezod kit. I think that's where their shop is, so if you had issues, you could take it directly to the builder. Plus, their kit is sweet.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
SL Member

Yea, Todd... I hear you on the tuning.
Ironically though, considering i'm from SO.FL, and I have both Dezod and Treadstone close to home, everywhere I call and ask about installations/tunings, I ALWAYS get "Well, we've never had a TC before, but.." so i'm like "WTF?!" All of you guys from all other states purchase the kits from here, and then have them shipped, but as of yet, no one deals with the TC or has the TC expericence.confidence to say "Oh, yea- another TC? Sure we've got 3 here waiting to be dyno'd- Drop by and let's take a look" -
I don't care what anyone says, and i'll probably get shot for this,
but here in MIAMI, if you're not an SRT4, you're not allowed on a dyno, period! Check Lujanmotorsports.com They really are 5 min from my house and like 2 min from my job, and "Nope, sorry- we only handle SRT4s" (...just like that) Treadstone doesn't do their own installs, and when I called and asked about it they said they'd refer me to a shop that does. When I called the shop, guess what I was told.. exactly! (in case you're not following: I was told they've never done a TC before)-
Dezod.... I haven't bothered calling Dezod- but I will soon. Atleast for installs.

enough of that.. It's just that Todd mentioned something about experience and knowledge, and seems like no one here's seen and TC before, like if it's still fuQin concept car, or something!!!

Mr Meaty, Dezod is kinda pricey. I'm more in the ZPI stg0, GReddy, and maybe even Treadstone budget for now.

and krdshrk, as far as the power I want to make, honestly..
I'd be more than satisfied with 250 whp. Nauticalblue and his friends are running some very impressive numbers , but really all I want is more for the extra pull and to take out all all these halfass 90's Hondas with underglows that sound like bumble bee's who's owners are either 16 or 47.
I don't know about your home towns, but here... man, ... when you pull up to ANY other car on a redlight, and either of you have a spoiler, muffler, HIDS, or hell- even tinted windows, It's GO from dig, fellas! ...i'm telling you_

250whp is perfect for me. I'm not out trying to take M3's and sh*t . It'd be nice to take it to some of these 350z’s in my area, and definitely wipe out EVERY SI in my sight . Honest to god, they start it. ALWAYS-
I am the peaceful warrior
Old 04-01-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pollup, so you're saying...

ZPI stg0< GReddy< ZPI stg 1 ?
yes.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:58 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
Pollup, so you're saying...

ZPI stg0< GReddy< ZPI stg 1 ?
yes.

hmmm...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM
SL Member

....i'm going with Stg 0

talk about peer-ressure
Old 04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

....i'm going with Stg 0

talk about peer-ressure
Get what YOU want. Make sure you atleast get a BOV. I believe you said you already have one. Running a turbo without a BOV scares me
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't give in to the peer pressure - if you were leaning towards GReddy and you already have the other items you need, why not get that?

I'd rather run it as a stage 1 with an intercooler... There's ways of hiding it :D
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
....i'm going with Stg 0

talk about peer-ressure
Get what YOU want. Make sure you atleast get a BOV. I believe you said you already have one. Running a turbo without a BOV scares me
Most Def, JROD..
I'm getting my beautifully obnoxious Turbo XS HRFL in there, and I've got my AEM UEGO wideband, and BOost Gauge (with glowshifts pod pillar), and i'm getting my emanage soon.

NO, yea... I already have one, so might as well through in my BOV.

Another thing, does anyone know if I can safely run stg0 with stock injectors, and my car isn't going to die without an intercooler, right?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
....i'm going with Stg 0

talk about peer-ressure
Most Def, JROD..
I'm getting my beautifully obnoxious Turbo XS HRFL in there, and I've got my AEM UEGO wideband, and BOost Gauge (with glowshifts pod pillar), and i'm getting my emanage soon.

NO, yea... I already have one, so might as well through in my BOV.

Another thing, does anyone know if I can safely run stg0 with stock injectors, and my car isn't going to die without an intercooler, right?
There are few peeps on here running the stg 0 on stock injectors and no intercooler with no issues at all. I am just the type of person who wants it all or nothing. Like I want everything the turbo NEEDS eventually from the get go. The stage 0 is definately a power making kit, but why not just get everything you need from teh get go. Get the stage 1 or go Greddy. Just realize, as I have, there is no "cheap" way to turbo. Get EVERTHING you need and plan on more. LOL
Old 04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd feel safer going with upgraded injectors at least.

I'm betting that the stock injectors are close to topping out. Heck, even the TRD Supercharger upgrades you from the stock 370cc injectors to 410cc injectors.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ironically though, considering i'm from SO.FL, and I have both Dezod and Treadstone close to home, everywhere I call and ask about installations/tunings, I ALWAYS get "Well, we've never had a TC before, but.." so i'm like "WTF?!" All of you guys from all other states purchase the kits from here, and then have them shipped, but as of yet, no one deals with the TC or has the TC expericence.confidence to say "Oh, yea- another TC? Sure we've got 3 here waiting to be dyno'd- Drop by and let's take a look" -
but here in MIAMI, if you're not an SRT4, you're not allowed on a dyno, period! Check Lujanmotorsports.com They really are 5 min from my house and like 2 min from my job, and "Nope, sorry- we only handle SRT4s" (...just like that) Treadstone doesn't do their own installs, and when I called and asked about it they said they'd refer me to a shop that does. When I called the shop, guess what I was told.. exactly! (in case you're not following: I was told they've never done a TC before)-
Dezod.... I haven't bothered calling Dezod- but I will soon. Atleast for installs.

enough of that.. It's just that Todd mentioned something about experience and knowledge, and seems like no one here's seen and TC before, like if it's still fuQin concept car, or something!!!

Mr Meaty, Dezod is kinda pricey. I'm more in the ZPI stg0, GReddy, and maybe even Treadstone budget for now.

I'd be more than satisfied with 250 whp. Nauticalblue and his friends are running some very impressive numbers , but really all I want is more for the extra pull and to take out all all these halfass 90's Hondas with underglows that sound like bumble bee's who's owners are either 16 or 47.
I don't know about your home towns, but here... man, ... when you pull up to ANY other car on a redlight, and either of you have a spoiler, muffler, HIDS, or hell- even tinted windows, It's GO from dig, fellas! ...i'm telling you_

250whp is perfect for me. I'm not out trying to take M3's and sh*t . It'd be nice to take it to some of these 350z’s in my area, and definitely wipe out EVERY SI in my sight . Honest to god, they start it. ALWAYS-

your funny, Ummm. Between Greddy and Treadstone, I think I will go with GReddy because they have been in the game longer. I always like to work with people with alot experiences. Treadstone is a good kit. I havent heard anything bad about them. but I'm not the type to cut or remove something that add safey to my car. if you thinking about getting a ZPI 0 kit, you might as well just get the ZPI stage 1 kit. Dezod is a good kit also. it's your money. do what you want with it.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cessblood

your funny, Ummm. Between Greddy and Treadstone, I think I will go with GReddy because they have been in the game longer. I always like to work with people with alot experiences. Treadstone is a good kit but I'm not the type to cut or remove something that add safey to my car. if you thinking about getting a ZPI 0 kit, you might as well just get the ZPI stage 1 kit. Dezod is a good kit also. it's your money. do what you want with it.
I agree, but how else is a company going to get established if everyone always choosed different? All the parts treadstone offers are legit not some knock off. Sorry if i'm coming across mean or whatever. I just think tread gets the short end of the stick because they chose to show the intercooler piping through the bumper. I know of a couple high HP kits that require removing the crash bar all together. The guy who installed my kit said he's done this same thing on other cars he's built many times. But with either ZPI/Greddy/Dezod or Tread, they are ALL good kits.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Well if you look at what we use in the kit and what we include, it levels the playing field.

GReddy does not include a BOV, EMS or fuel system. Neither does a Stage 0.

We include all stainless components, an HKS SSQV, drop in fuel injectors, a PnP harness with all of the e-manage harness and a base mapped e-manage.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
SL Member

Whoa, talkabout responses!

Alright, alright…. First things first,
If I hear the “it’s your money, do what you want with it” one more time…
I know it’s my money, but I want your opinions!
We as consumers, and on the same team especially,
we’re just looking out for others to avoid making mistakes that others have learned firsthand through their own experiences. Let’s not be so touchy, fellas…

Aight, back to business….

I had my own opinion which was GReddy form the get-go, but through research and feedback, I thought my best choice could’ve been ZPI’s stage 0.
1.) I don’t have A LOT of money right now, but am willing to save (hence the coming of stg1)
2.) The stuff I’ve already bought is the stuff you’d need to use for any other kit anyways (Gauges, emanage, BOV)- I strategically bought this before hand to avoid any determinations as to what kit to finally purchase, giving me time to resarch, etc.

Jrod, I know you’re saying about people not giving the new guys a chance, I thought about it myself.
But I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say I’m not out to prove their efficiency at my expense (word?) .
Their set up does look mighty fine, and being that no one’s “treading” on you, I take it you’ve boosted with pride,
But some of the stuff they have on their site about how fuel management is overated, and not recommended…
makes me wonder, ya know?

And yea, Krdshrk, I’m thinking of getting the emanage/440cc bundle ($630), but I’m also thinking…
‘I’m going to hopefully want stg1 if I go w/ stg0, and I would hate to upgrade fuel injectors twice’
If ANYTHING, I’d just bought the 550cc (stg1) injectors from the get-go, right?...

Paul, I know what you’re saying. ( If It’s coming HERE, it’s coming out HERE- either way you’re going to spend it)
I just don’t think I can cough up $4.2k+ right now to boost. The stage0 gives me a break , and allows me to gradually add on performance parts to “get there”- I’m sure you’re terrific, and a F/I genius- I DOUBT YOUR PRODUCTS 0% , but don’t have the money.

There was another post where a member told me that the GReddy was a fine kit (which I think we can all agree it is), but left too much on the tuning side, and I’d honestly hate to leave SO MUCH on someone tuning it, you know?

I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know..

I’m still about $800 away from making a decision.

So far… I’m thinking..
Stg0, emanage (stock injectors), Turbo XS Hrfl BOV , and gauges (a/f, boost, oil pres.)

You guys can feel free to keeping giving me your input. I’m reading these threads religiously ever 5 min!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh the fun of boosting. So many choices, so many decisions. The great thing is, you cannot go wrong.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jrod, I know you’re saying about people not giving the new guys a chance, I thought about it myself.
But I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say I’m not out to prove their efficiency at my expense (word?) .
Their set up does look mighty fine, and being that no one’s “treading” on you, I take it you’ve boosted with pride,
But some of the stuff they have on their site about how fuel management is overated,
The only thing that gets me with that argument is the fact that ZPI offers the Stage 0 with no injectors, BOV or Emanage and everyone seems to not really make a big deal about it. Its like its ok with them since its ZPI I'm not saying they are right or wrong, i just see a double standard with that argument. Also, if they say FM is over-rated, they should def. take that down. I just liked the quality components they sold with the kit at the pricing point. Anyways, its almost annoying with sooo many choices of a set up. I think with Greddy or ZPI, you are getting a proven kit and quality components. Sorry if I've confused you even more.

Edit: i hope that didn't sound like a knock on ZPI. I didn't mean it like that. I just think treadstone is saying what zpi is saying, you can safely run their kit on 5psi with the upgraded injectors on the stock ecu. Rhythm has made me a TRUE believer in what ZPI kits can do!

Quick Reply: Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.