Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Most reliable in your opinion
Treadstone
31.03%
GReddy
68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how about the turbonetics kit?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mospeedtc
how about the turbonetics kit?

pshhheeaa! ...I wish_
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, this is a great thread! Due to the link posted on the first page I just realized ZPI makes a Stage 1 kit for auto tranny's YES!!!! So, I'm gonna still do more research and definitly watch this tread but i think i may set my heart on their kit as its "auto tranny safe"
Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is the first Thread that I read with the companies and fanboys are not arguing . this is a great thread. I wish we have more thread like this.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
SL Member

'Tis I the Thread-starter...

Being such a subjective thread, I think everone on this forum has been very mature, and the advice and help I've received is priceless. I can't thank you guys enough for taking your time and 'helping-a-broda-out' -

..let's keep 'em coming_
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here’s my opinion, go with Dezod’s S1 kit. You’ll be running a nice size turbo and will have everything you need to install the kit. Another great advantage with them is you can get really specific with the setup: down-pipe, fuel, turbo spec, coatings ect. Also there aren’t to many guys as active in the Scion tuning community as Paul. I can’t say their kits are better than the next guy, I’ve never worked on the others, but I couldn’t have been happier with the quality of the kit.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Here’s my opinion, go with Dezod’s S1 kit. You’ll be running a nice size turbo and will have everything you need to install the kit. Another great advantage with them is you can get really specific with the setup: down-pipe, fuel, turbo spec, coatings ect. Also there aren’t to many guys as active in the Scion tuning community as Paul. I can’t say their kits are better than the next guy, I’ve never worked on the others, but I couldn’t have been happier with the quality of the kit.
Ok... ok... ok...
They're a lil' out of my price range, but i'll keep 'em in mind_
Old 04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, I think my post on the bottom of page 2 got completely over looked! Stupid pages!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$4265. It's hard to buy a complete stage 1 style kit for any less but of course money is a big factor. What ever you do just don't cheap out on a kit. Usually, and I say say that as people might find exceptions, you get what you pay for. At least make sure you're running with some sort of fuel management. I know guys around here are running the stage 0 with no problems but running lean under boost is a little scary for me.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Originally Posted by AngrySnail

Jrod, I know you’re saying about people not giving the new guys a chance, I thought about it myself.
But I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say I’m not out to prove their efficiency at my expense (word?) .
Their set up does look mighty fine, and being that no one’s “treading” on you, I take it you’ve boosted with pride,
But some of the stuff they have on their site about how fuel management is overated,
The only thing that gets me with that argument is the fact that ZPI offers the Stage 0 with no injectors, BOV or Emanage and everyone seems to not really make a big deal about it. Its like its ok with them since its ZPI I'm not saying they are right or wrong, i just see a double standard with that argument. Also, if they say FM is over-rated, they should def. take that down. I just liked the quality components they sold with the kit at the pricing point. Anyways, its almost annoying with sooo many choices of a set up. I think with Greddy or ZPI, you are getting a proven kit and quality components. Sorry if I've confused you even more.

Edit: i hope that didn't sound like a knock on ZPI. I didn't mean it like that. I just think treadstone is saying what zpi is saying, you can safely run their kit on 5psi with the upgraded injectors on the stock ecu. Rhythm has made me a TRUE believer in what ZPI kits can do!
Ok, let's eloborate...
I don't think it's a double standard issue per say. The I think the problem lies in the expectancy of these turbos. Ok, let's say "ZPI offers the Stage 0 with no injectors, BOV or Emanage", and so does Treadstone, but no one reacts to ZPI stg0 the way they do to Treadstone because it's "ZPI", but I honestly think it's because it's more "Stg0" than anything else. The most you can squeeze out of that kit is 230 whp @ 6psi tops, but Treadstone, on the other hand, claims >260wph @ 8.5 w/o Fuel management, etc. That's the only reason I can logically think of.
I'll tell you what, if ZPI stg1(considering the amount of power it puts out) claimed to also be able to run their kits w/o fuel management, etc they'd be getting hell from these guys too.

and bro... confused is an understatement.
But you know what they say, " the more you know, the more you know you don't know"
Old 04-04-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jrod, I know you’re saying about people not giving the new guys a chance, I thought about it myself.
But I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say I’m not out to prove their efficiency at my expense (word?) .
Their set up does look mighty fine, and being that no one’s “treading” on you, I take it you’ve boosted with pride,
But some of the stuff they have on their site about how fuel management is overated,
The only thing that gets me with that argument is the fact that ZPI offers the Stage 0 with no injectors, BOV or Emanage and everyone seems to not really make a big deal about it. Its like its ok with them since its ZPI I'm not saying they are right or wrong, i just see a double standard with that argument. Also, if they say FM is over-rated, they should def. take that down. I just liked the quality components they sold with the kit at the pricing point. Anyways, its almost annoying with sooo many choices of a set up. I think with Greddy or ZPI, you are getting a proven kit and quality components. Sorry if I've confused you even more.

Edit: i hope that didn't sound like a knock on ZPI. I didn't mean it like that. I just think treadstone is saying what zpi is saying, you can safely run their kit on 5psi with the upgraded injectors on the stock ecu. Rhythm has made me a TRUE believer in what ZPI kits can do!
Ok, let's eloborate...
I don't think it's a double standard issue per say. The I think the problem lies in the expectancy of these turbos. Ok, let's say "ZPI offers the Stage 0 with no injectors, BOV or Emanage", and so does Treadstone, but no one reacts to ZPI stg0 the way they do to Treadstone because it's "ZPI", but I honestly think it's because it's more "Stg0" than anything else. The most you can squeeze out of that kit is 230 whp @ 6psi tops, but Treadstone, on the other hand, claims >260wph @ 8.5 w/o Fuel management, etc. That's the only reason I can logically think of.
I'll tell you what, if ZPI stg1(considering the amount of power it puts out) claimed to also be able to run their kits w/o fuel management, etc they'd be getting hell from these guys too.

and bro... confused is an understatement.
But you know what they say, " the more you know, the more you know you don't know"
LOL, I get what yoru saying. With that aside, you can't beat the price for what you get with their kit. Just don't throw them out of the equation quite yet. Give them a chance. Call them and ask excatly why they say what they say. What evidence do they have to back it up. I can tell you this, you can't really find a kit any cheaper with the quality components that come with the treadstone set up.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM
SL Member

[quote="jrodTc"][quote="AngrySnail"][quote="jrodTc"]

LOL, I get what yoru saying. With that aside, you can't beat the price for what you get with their kit. Just don't throw them out of the equation quite yet. Give them a chance. Call them and ask excatly why they say what they say. What evidence do they have to back it up. I can tell you this, you can't really find a kit any cheaper with the quality components that come with the treadstone set up.
No, yea man, i know_
Lemme put it to you this way,
Treadstone is my homepage,
GReddy is my first bookmark,
and i'm on ZPI's mailing list...

'salgood
Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="AngrySnail"][quote="jrodTc"][quote="AngrySnail"]

No, yea man, i know_
Lemme put it to you this way,
Treadstone is my homepage,
GReddy is my first bookmark,
and i'm on ZPI's mailing list...

'salgood
LOL, nicely put.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my two cents:

When doing something as major as a turbo upgrade why not save up and do it right the first time. If you want to reach 250 whp+ save up for the big name kits like Dezod, ZPI Stage 1, and the Turbonetics one. If you are not looking for numbers in that range and want to linger close to or below that number, the Greddy kit (with no add ons) and the Stage 0 kit seem fiiting. I said this in another thread, it is all about whos name you want in your engine. Alot of these companies are creating products that are extremely similar and really only differ with their names. So back to the topic at hand...

between Treadstone and Greddy... i would go greddy for the name...

Just make sure before you buy it you are sure it will fulfill your needs... who wants to have to do a turbo install twice (more money).
Old 04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
SL Member

wow this is a great thread, i dont know anything about turbos. but here is a video that you might consider which turbo to get, greddy vs zpi stage 1. link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGhOK...elated&search=
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On topic…. Greddy hands down for reputation.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

And yea, Krdshrk, I’m thinking of getting the emanage/440cc bundle ($630), but I’m also thinking…
‘I’m going to hopefully want stg1 if I go w/ stg0, and I would hate to upgrade fuel injectors twice’
If ANYTHING, I’d just bought the 550cc (stg1) injectors from the get-go, right?...

There was another post where a member told me that the GReddy was a fine kit (which I think we can all agree it is), but left too much on the tuning side, and I’d honestly hate to leave SO MUCH on someone tuning it, you know?
You said you already have the emanage so you're good with that. And as for the injectors, 550cc injectors will work just fine.

Uhh... Greddy leaves too much on the tuning side? At least you can get a GReddy Base map to go along with the GReddy turbo. With the ZPI stage 0 and the Treadstone kits, there won't be any tuning done AT ALL so your tuner will have to start from scratch. Working off of a base map and tuning from there is a lot easier and a lot less work than tuning a map from scratch.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krdshrk
And yea, Krdshrk, I’m thinking of getting the emanage/440cc bundle ($630), but I’m also thinking…
‘I’m going to hopefully want stg1 if I go w/ stg0, and I would hate to upgrade fuel injectors twice’
If ANYTHING, I’d just bought the 550cc (stg1) injectors from the get-go, right?...

There was another post where a member told me that the GReddy was a fine kit (which I think we can all agree it is), but left too much on the tuning side, and I’d honestly hate to leave SO MUCH on someone tuning it, you know?
You said you already have the emanage so you're good with that. And as for the injectors, 550cc injectors will work just fine.

Uhh... Greddy leaves too much on the tuning side? At least you can get a GReddy Base map to go along with the GReddy turbo. With the ZPI stage 0 and the Treadstone kits, there won't be any tuning done AT ALL so your tuner will have to start from scratch. Working off of a base map and tuning from there is a lot easier and a lot less work than tuning a map from scratch.
Dezod has the greddy base map on their website to download. :D Good starting point.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
SL Member

Alright,... I was initially going with the GReddy kit because:

1.)it’s a good way to go boost cheapest without “cheaping out” because GReddy knows their stuff

2.)I didn’t NEED all the power to spend a fortune trying to get to 300whp…

…but I just realized something….

GReddy kit is $ 3,436 ($2,800 kit + emanage $636) and puts down “257 whp”, while
ZPI stg1 is $4,000 (emanage included) and puts down “300 whp”-
Now… that’s literally a $574 difference and about a 50hp difference which is literally the difference between a Scion TC and a Kio Rio- 50whp is a lot, and $574 for the drastic difference is worth it, right?

Am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent thread!! I'm on the same boat... I definately want to go boost but there is a lot of kits. You can go witta greddy kit which is a good name but I bet everyone here would agree when I say that u will get used to 250 hp pretty quick. The zpi stage 0 is pretty good because it leaves room for upgrades of ur own choice but living here in miami its really hot down here like 80 % of the year so u definately need an intercooler. As for the treadstone kit... well ill hold my judgement since I never really heard of em. But selling a kit without any kind of fuel managment and claiming those numbers, for me personally I wouldn't even consider it. Leaves too much to doubt naw meen! I live in s.fla so I'm really considering Dezod myself, their kit is complete and its a looker and u can even add a clutch to it which I don't think u havnt mentioned having already. Every one here has been on point with their replys which is awesome! But at the end it depends on u and ur personal preference. Oh and one more thing SRT KILLAH!

Quick Reply: Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.