Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
hey i built 3 solid heads and 3 solid blocks and only 1 failure (thanks toyota for the wrong bearing the first time around...

the SL curse.. pshhh i think some of us have long ____ed on that already... BTW op nice list of partman.. good luck with your build..

and +1 for the home builders with home tools!!!! lol.. cuz my current motor has stood up to 7300 rpms shifts DAILY for over 20k miles..

What EMS are you using again?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aem fic NOW ...

on all my old setups i ran no EMS because the car ran decent.. not great.. but streetable ... a str8 idle or higher idle between 850-1000 rpms... also ran very rich in all the rpms except past 5500 roughly were the ecu would lean itself out a tad..

for example before WOT @ 3k-5500k 12.6-13.0 solid then a huge jump at WOT passed 6k @ 13.5-14.1 .... not super great numbers on an NA set up but it wasnt bad... my car chocked alot in lower rpms but screams at high rpms

ideally now im more dialed in.. 3k-5500 solid 13.1 and past 6k solid 13.8 which is more or less were i need to be for the set up.. im still working out all the kinks.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

How are you reving to 7300rpm's then? The F/IC doesn't have the ability to increase redline last I checked.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have u heard of megasquirt? and also open source programming? let me rephrase that because that might not be totally accurate.. i did play around a few time with MS and open source programming for the fic and there is hacked update floating around puerto rico boards that gives u some more functions (added) through the open source programming... 20k is overboard.. maybe 12-15k of that is really atributed to the MS and open source... i also played with an emanage u but that was a nightmare for tuning but as far as functionality of rasing above 6.5 it worked. im sure you heard of MS.. in fact i think a blue tc that was featured once in their budget builds for turbo mag or super street featured a turbo tc on MS or how to build your own MS system..
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alot of PR and specialty tuning ppl hang out and club4ag which is were i've learned alot about MS,OS coding, and fic rewrites
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I might be helping a friend build a MS unit on his turbo'd avenger. It's had some great reviews from what I've seen.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
have u heard of megasquirt? and also open source programming? let me rephrase that because that might not be totally accurate.. i did play around a few time with MS and open source programming for the fic and there is hacked update floating around puerto rico boards that gives u some more functions (added) through the open source programming... 20k is overboard.. maybe 12-15k of that is really atributed to the MS and open source... i also played with an emanage u but that was a nightmare for tuning but as far as functionality of rasing above 6.5 it worked. im sure you heard of MS.. in fact i think a blue tc that was featured once in their budget builds for turbo mag or super street featured a turbo tc on MS or how to build your own MS system..

Yeah I've heard of Megasquirt. Sounds like you went the hard way around though. I just simply plug in the Ultimate with a pnp harness...much easier...hehee. But I commend your efforts for sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rob/Travis : yea MS is a fairly simple thing to put together to some extent.. the hardest part is figuring out the wires leading into the OEM harness and getting the actual software to DL the OEM basemap so it has a starting point... but MS is pretty cool... its like having almost a full standalone with the ease of a piggy and MUCH cheaper price tag... its not hard just time consuming but it was very rewarding and it taught me alot about how the oem ecu works and how ___ OBD2 is also lmao... i think the entire MS system i put together costed me about 220 in total.. which is pretty cheap compared to EMS out at the time.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hey pete id really really like to talk to ya more about the ms...ive heard of it and it sounded like to me like a build your own engine managment deal...is that right?

and also in your opinion was it truly worth the trouble?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
hey pete id really really like to talk to ya more about the ms...ive heard of it and it sounded like to me like a build your own engine managment deal...is that right?

and also in your opinion was it truly worth the trouble?
yes the MS is essentially that... a build your own EMS for much cheaper but net more or less the same results...

in all honesty i would say it was 50/50 worth it.. for me it was a bad-aid for my problem which also helped me learn more about tuning tc in a broad aspect. on the other hand it was extreamly extensive learning how to build it, soldering components/wires, there is a learning curve for the software also, and i didnt fully get to do everything i wanted because of the learning curve. dont get me wrong its not something i wouldn't try again... but with the current EMS on the market now... the costs out weigh the headaches you know... MS has gotten easier to put together then about a years ago... and for ppl needing something cheap and solid its a pretty good starting platform for those who like to be different (like me) lol.

if u guys want more info LMK.. and ill make a thread in the FI section because i dont wana thread jack anymore hahaha
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah why not...if nothing els im sure it would be a great read...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do it fo sure ill read it .
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...tem/index.html
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part two of that http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0701...ems/index.html
Old 05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

interesting.. good luck on the build! but
PICS!!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
interesting.. good luck on the build! but
PICS!!!!!
when the time is right! still waiting on parts to arrive for the tear down.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well rob and scikotic just posted up the article i was talking about... if u guys want a more extensive read you can go here..

http://www.msextra.com

full MS forum for your enjoyment of reading.. it was very helpful for me when i started
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Current status

My coilovers will be in by the end of the month. Still waiting to hear current status on the stroker kit and sleeves. The economy has changed a lot with aftermarket performance parts. I knew the stroker was built once ordered but other parts are having to be shipped direct from the manufacture or manufactured. Everything is still coming along. Started to get rid of some of the old setup.

Here is the decision I have came to with the driveline after companies decided not to answer my question cause they think I was just anther person only inquiring and never acting. At first I wanted a 6speed sequential but cost was more than doubled what was expected so that idea went out the window once the price exceeded 15K. Second I decided to try to have some custom gear sets made this fell through as well no one wants to make a one off set only 6 sets minimum or I didn't get a response from companies.

With that said I will get a new transmission from the dealer have the gears cryo treated, friction coated, O.S. Giken LSD installed, twin disc clutch, and get drive shop axles.

Good news with the AEM Standalone it will have A/C working once I return like it should very easy fix!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Good luck on the build! I wanna see another 500WHP tC, that's not company built or sponsored!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn man...i really wanted to see this car before i moved to colorado......gives me a reason to fly back down south haha

Quick Reply: My Build