Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My Dezod Turbo Manifold cracked..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Guys the problem with a lot of parts like this is that it is subject to what the end user does for tuning and install. If they fail to install certain key components at all or correctly for that matter, no matter what it's going to fail. No manifold will last in that case. ALL MANIFOLDS crack. It's just a matter of time.

Stock, cast and aftermarket DSM manifolds crack all the time for example. Hell OEM casts from all manufacturers crack as well. Just a matter of time.

Now for reference material from an array of manufacturers:

Stock Toyota 3RZ Manifold Cracked

Stock Mitus 2.8L

Solstice Stocker

Cracked AMS manifold

FD3 Stock

Cracked cast DSM

Audi cracked cast

Name:  crackone.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  50.4 KB

I can go on and on forever. It just happens. Stock or not. Cast or not. Tubular or not. It's the nature of the beast. There is only so much you can do to help prevent it and we take a lot of the precautions necessary to do so, but it's impossible to control it all.

The blatant statistics do not fall in our favor either. We have been producing this kit since 2005 and have BUNDLES of these kits outstanding. You see oh about 4-5 of these pop up and all of a sudden the bandwagon opens and all hell breaks loose. I find it ironic that the other oh several hundred kit owners never have a problem and drive for 50,000 miles or more on their kit without any issues. It is what it is..........

On a side note to the OP, I spoke to V and asked for some supporting documentation. I am waiting on him.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

were going to send you more pictures tonight when i get done work. i didnt point the finger at anyone, i posted this thread to get responses from other people and see if this is common, and what i can do to fix it.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry guys but i agree with paul. ive soon hundreds of cast manifolds crack within a year. whether it be to much tension, stress, tuning issue, etc. its one of them things we have to look out for on every manifold. you turboed your car, now enjoy the constant maintance of a turboed car
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks like a welding issue - too much shrinkage causing stress in the joint which pulled it apart when the head flange got hot and expanded. They should probably heat the entire assembly up when they weld that crack again.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

its looks like a clean crack on the weld, might be a weak weld but yeah there are others factors to look into.. is this the old dezod manifold or the new stronger one?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it were stress or weight pulling on the manifold it wouldnt of cracked at the weld like that anyway.. the flange woulda cracked just like mine did... twice..
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ace 83, the manifold is less than 3 months old. ive had the kit installed in my car since mid july, i bought the kit brand new from the dezod website, and had it installed and tuned by a professional.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

3 months is fairly new, you prolly have that AAA class thingy.. what afrs are you running and how much boost and power? or EGT if any... Im just curious to see if it could be something to do with your tune
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only thing is EGT that would matter, even then.. it would have to be so lean to the point the motor would fail before the manifold
Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Not many here runs an EGT gauge so I asked for the afrs, boost and hp, that would help make a guestimate of what the EGT would if its gonna be too high
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

im curious if you ran into some water perhaps....anything will crack if its hot enough and water gets splashed on it...just a thought...to me (from a welders perspective) it seems like ther wasnt enough filler to bulk up the weld. I will say all dezod mani's look like they have some grade A welds on em, they are nice and clean, just perhaps not enough of a weld. Like Paul said though many things contribute to something like this. I dont blame dezod on this at all really, thing is their welds are pretty much the industry standard for manifolds like this. I am actually surprised that others havnt seen this same result. Take for instance the EL manifolds of some other companies, just take a look at how much further out the runners go and the stress that they see. Their welds arent much different from what Dezod does so the only thing i can think of is the fact that these other companies havnt been producing thes manifolds for as long as Dezod. On a long enough time line your gonna have a failure of some sort, what i mean by that is if you have been in buisness as long as Dezod your gonna have some product that sneeks out the door that is flawed.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ace, im running 4 psi, A/F at idle is around 14.5-14.7..im probably only pushing 190-200hp.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

lol if ur only at 4 psi then defect ftl dezod should deffinatly send u a new one
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

4psi of what? Not boost. I don't even think you're running 4psi if you're talking about boost, more like 3.6psi.....EXPLAIN
Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

High EGT's can also come from decent AFR's if you pull way too much timing if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
4psi of what? Not boost. I don't even think you're running 4psi if you're talking about boost, more like 3.6psi.....EXPLAIN
did you know in colder weather you can sometimes see up to 9psi on a 8.7psi spring...also a boost controller could be used....even a very small leak in the vac hose going to the wastegate can do it... Thes are just a few "could be's"...
Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

or he just rounded up...lol
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats that paul? no subaru manifolds? guess they are just way too good at what they make to ever have a cracked manifold! LOL JK!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I blame the "Germany" stamping for the VW cracked manifold! lolz
Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crush Automotive Customs
did you know in colder weather you can sometimes see up to 9psi on a 8.7psi spring...also a boost controller could be used....even a very small leak in the vac hose going to the wastegate can do it... Thes are just a few "could be's"...
Did you know on a 10 psi spring and using a vac block for the F/IC source the car will max out at 8 psi....F/IC source needs to be separate from the other sources.

Completely random I know....check your email

Quick Reply: My Dezod Turbo Manifold cracked..