Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My first Super Charger, does your car sound like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default My first Super Charger, does your car sound like this?

I Just had a SC installed by the local dealer and it's making strange noises. I don't think my dealer Knows what they are talking about as this is there 3'rd confessed install of the TRD SC so I want to run this by you guys. They may be normal for all I know so I am asking if any one else is hearing the same. They are subtle so I can't record them but I'll try to describe them. 1) A sound like a bird chirping constantly (I think this is normal) 2) A sound like blowing over the end of a pipe when accelerating Like "woooooo..." this one worry's me the most as I have heard this in vacuum cleaners, alternators, and drills with bearings going bad. A friend suggested that it may be air escaping past the air filter under hard acceleration.

Aside from the 2 noises listed above I'm not too worried. The engine definitely has a growl to it now and there are lots more vibrations in general. I don't know any one around Salt Lake City who has a SC or I would ask them. Like i'm saying it is brand new and has about 100 Mi on it now. Yes, I am running premium fuel. One thing for sure, it definitely has more POWER and I like it.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

haha...I am contemplating getting the s/c cause I am a cali resident...

I was wondering if it really does have the kick I would look for.
I just want to know I can go against other cars in my range decently...
Is that how you feel in it?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member

I do feel I would do Okay but I need to learn to shift better so I definitely haven't driven it to it's potential, I feel. I hope to surprise the BMW"s and AUDI's and make them feel sorry for spending so much for so little. "Coulda had a Scion"
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea ull defiantly surprise bimmers and audis if u do some work...a lotta work, (and ull prob blow ur motor like the rest of us) any who the charger is supposed to make noise as far as ur explanations...its hard to tell if somethin is actually wrong...i would just make sure all seals are tight and invest in a forge 007 bipassvalve (BPV) def. grab some gauges too. one thing to check is if the boot is secured around the bottom part of the intake housing...the boot extends into the fender
Old 04-12-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As the guy above me said, you will have to do A LOT with your S/C in order to make it as fast as a lot of other cars.

Since the tC lacks LSD, redlines at 6.5, and has only five gears, you can take on a lot of old cars in our range and a lot of new cars as well. Just be sure to know who you're picking, cuz sometimes them old civics and integras are faster due to engine swap and such.

If I were you, I'd get the motor built and a 14psi pulley, that way, with other mods, you can push 350whp+ (with a good tune of course).

I was gonna go S/C, but ever since I found two places that can install/tune turbos for me, I've changed my mind. Plus I'm building my engine and looking foward to boosting anywhere from 300whp-450whp daily.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nicely addedlol...the only thing....the 14psi pulley...not wit the TeRD charger...ull spin everything right outa waq that stupid thing can barely handle the 9.5lb without problems
Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? wow I didn't know that, my original plan was a 12psi pulley if I got the S/C...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those noises you hear a normal. i thought it sounded like a bird in my intake too hahaha
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get your Dyno'd & tuned coreectly???

I just dont think its worth getting the S/C its only giving 40HP's vs. Turbo almost 100HP's around the same price!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^

it's not 100, but its certainly not as little as 40. this is probably the millionth post about this, but the figures on the S/C compare base HP at the CRANK to the final output with the S/C at THE WHEELS.

Big difference.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kocho333
very nicely addedlol...the only thing....the 14psi pulley...not wit the TeRD charger...ull spin everything right outa waq that stupid thing can barely handle the 9.5lb without problems
The Vortech V5 F-Trim blower is a quite capable blower.

Specs, if you're not convinced...

A compact supercharger ideal for sport compact applications

Straight cut spur gear
Fits engines up to 475 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 700 CFM *
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI *
Absolute maximum impeller speed: 65,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 72% **
Available with straight discharge and clockwise or counter clockwise rotation
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the SC has been great for us, yes some have had problems, and some have had issues with turbo or even NA as well. The SC adds more then 40, as most have dyno'd them at least in the mid 180's with stock running 130's.
I'd say the TC has more limitations w/out an lsd ( which can be "cured" now ) that should be looked at with any FI install. If our "we'll say stock" SC has huge traction/launch issues, i couldn't imagine one with 200-250+ real hp.
So whatever you install, you will gain some smiles under acceleration... but it won't be all you'll want to do...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

All sounds normal to me. Just took my s/c off and put a ZPI stage 1. Huge difference. No power comparison what so ever. I do miss the s/c sound though.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had no problems with the SC. Only problems Ive had were with the blowing radiator caps (2 times) and cracking the radiator (1 time). 1st rad cap problem caused the other 2 problems. Ive got about 20k miles on it. I got new tires and that fixed much of the traction problems although now it seems to torque steer more.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To bad you can get a sound clip. if you have a video phone you can record it, I want to heard the sound you are talking about.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default Soundz

I'll try to stick (Tape) a recorder under the hood. I did find that the clamp on the fresh air box was loose. Thank you all for shairing your expearences with me.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's normal. Mine was doing the same then I changed my oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and the sound that you're describing was gone.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

Default warranty and oil?

will it void your warranty to change the grade of oil?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would imagine so. if they can void your warranty because you didn't check your oil everytime you fill your gas tank. then yeah, they can probably void your warranty for improper maitenance procedures.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well, the sounds you're describing are normal. You may need a new belt though. That's probably where the chirping is coming from... but the Supercharger itself is always spinning when the car's on, so it's always making noise.

Quick Reply: My first Super Charger, does your car sound like this?