Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

my goal: 250 relieable HP

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default my goal: 250 relieable HP

Hey guys, i got my tc around 2 months ago and have like 2500 miles on it and acouple mods. Right now i have tein basics, and ingalls damper on the car and progress rear sway and dc front strut bar in the mail.

Now i am going to start focusing on HP mods. What i am looking for is 250-260 RELIEABLE HP and i have around 3-4 grand to work with. The main kit i'm looking at is the zpi stage one or the kit made by greddy. I don't really want past 260 HP because from what i have seen there are alot of issues like involving the drivetrain once you put up high numbers, and one of the most important things for me is the relieability, that is a must.

So with that said, what are the biggest complications to getting the car up to around 250-260 hp with a zpi stage 1 or something like it? I really have no idea what i need to do for a turbo and i plan on installing it myself. What type of ecu stuff do i need? what about fuel managment? New clutch, new flywheel? I really need info on this so even if you post flames that will help
Old 06-20-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with that money, i'd go with turbonectics/ dezod/ sound performance. IMO
Old 06-20-2006, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course I'll be biased and say to go with a Dezod kit haha...

We've been driving the hell out of our car with almost 300whp on all of those miles, and now I think we're past that. We do extensive ingition tuning in addition to the fuel maps which helps for your wide-open throttle beat runs. The stock ECU overrides all tunes when you're not flooring it so base timing and a 14.7 AFR is impossible to change.

We've been working on a new ECU system that allows us to adjust those non-WOT tuning so you can have an even safer tune.

With the base 8,7psi we made 245whp and 255WTQ on a Dynomite, with a catalytic converter, and a plumbed wastegate pipe (not open dump). With the open dump tube we made 255whp and 260WTQ on a turbo that can make over 5psi at 2000rpms and hold the full boost to redline. That's a pretty streetable turbo and a lot of fun.

Our kits are also plug and play and additional tuning not neccessary but can help to squeeze out a little bit more safe power.

My S2 setup makes a decent amount more power, but the powerband is geared more towards 4krpms plus, not the lower rpms. Either are fun, and both make great power.

We use the Greddy emanage for our kits and it comes pre-tuned with a plug and play harness so no wiring is needed. You will definately need a new clutch but unless you're doing some higher speed racing I don't reccommend using a lightened flywheel on a boost daily driver or drag car.

If you have more questions please ask, Paul and I strive on this stuff
Old 06-20-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GO DEZOD! If you want your kit before 2008 GO DEZOD. The fastest turn around i have seen.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
GO DEZOD! If you want your kit before 2008 GO DEZOD. The fastest turn around i have seen.
Thanks Grant. Yes we do have a rather lightning fast turn around in comparison to other companies.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too bad Dezod isn't working on mods for the SC....
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really have no idea what i need to do for a turbo and i plan on installing it myself
Maybe you shouldnt install it yourself then. If you want it to be reliable, maybe an expert should install it. Just a thought
Old 06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtuner
Too bad Dezod isn't working on mods for the SC....
Such as?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that his concern is very similar to mine, in terms of reliability.

If I install YOUR turbo system, will my car still be just as driveable 75,000 miles from now, barring any undue abuse?

As of now, I get the feeling the answer will always be "of course not," including for the supercharger. So far, everyone claims to be 'reliable', but reliable seems to mean "only 30,000 miles before rebuild."

If you could somehow guarantee that people could install this on a daily driven car, and it last at least 50,000 miles without any abuse, then you'd get a lot more customers. I'm not in a position to make a rash decision about my only vehicle .
Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
I think that his concern is very similar to mine, in terms of reliability.

If I install YOUR turbo system, will my car still be just as driveable 75,000 miles from now, barring any undue abuse?

As of now, I get the feeling the answer will always be "of course not," including for the supercharger. So far, everyone claims to be 'reliable', but reliable seems to mean "only 30,000 miles before rebuild."

If you could somehow guarantee that people could install this on a daily driven car, and it last at least 50,000 miles without any abuse, then you'd get a lot more customers. I'm not in a position to make a rash decision about my only vehicle .
It may very well be, but do not forget the tC is still very new in production life so we do not know about the longevity of it just yet. Much like all newer production cars.

There are too many probable mishaps that could go wrong on a boosted car. Your asking for a motor warranty that no turbo system manufacturer can offer you with still making decent power. You can not have great power and a warranty unless you buy a production car like a STi or an EVO...

Sure we can give you a turbo kit with 3lbs of boost that will give you 30-40hp, and will you be happy with the $$ you spent to get it? The answer is no. Is there a possiblity of blowing the motor with that little boost? Yes.

My point being, if you spend $4-5K, your gonna want a 13 or 12 second car, and be able to have fun and lay rubber for 50-60ft. Am I incorrect? With that speed and power of course comes the responsibity of things to break. There is not avoiding it. They go hand and hand. I hate to cliche this, but:

'If you can not afford to drive your car off a cliff, then you should not be racing.'

or

'If you can afford to replace your entire motor at the drop of a dime, then you should not be boosting.'
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know what... paul is 100% right .I guess those 105 years of wisdom come in handy .. I love how frank he was ESP being a turbo kit producer.

If you dont want problems or cant handle them then you prob are safter not going the route of aftermarket boost. It takes alot of knowlage, time ,and money to make a successful boosted car. You can always try the other stuff I/H/E but even those arent guarenteed just go and ask toyota.

Lower boost pressure doesnt nessicarrlay mean safer. You still have charge piping still have the intercooler still have the blow off valve and vacume lines any of that could go wrong no matter what boost you are at.

Im not trying to scare you away from boost at all in fact I LOVE boost and would encourage you to try it out. But you just have to know what your getting yourself into

My best advice RIDE and DRIVE a boosted car before you go and buy one and get and idea of how boost works.

You may want your boost to come in at 2k and run only 6-7 psi which will pull u through nicely or you may want to make some DEZOD crazy hp numbers and bring it in at 4k fly into the back of your seat and hand it to the poor gramma in the caddy next you then use the larger turbo run more boost . Eveything has its trade offs.

Remmber kids,
Boost is like crack, once you pop you just cant stop
Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by soGone
Remmber kids,
Boost is like crack, once you pop you just cant stop
I got one too...

Nitrous is like a hooker, you wanna hit it but you're scared of the consequences.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tCtuner wrote:
Too bad Dezod isn't working on mods for the SC.... La La La

Paul_Dezod wrote:
Such as?
Oh... CAI, IC, and anything else that you experienced guys can do to help us SC'd guys out! I am just a desk jockey, but love to tinker.... and from what I see and read, you guys don't tinker... you seem to work (reliable) wonders with this car!

So I was saying that in hopes that you would respond that you were working on something for the SC guys.

Just a pipe dream.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will definately need a new clutch but unless you're doing some higher speed racing I don't reccommend using a lightened flywheel on a boost daily driver or drag car.

Dezod, what is the down side to the lighter flywheel?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtuner
tCtuner wrote:
Too bad Dezod isn't working on mods for the SC.... La La La

Paul_Dezod wrote:
Such as?
Oh... CAI, IC, and anything else that you experienced guys can do to help us SC'd guys out! I am just a desk jockey, but love to tinker.... and from what I see and read, you guys don't tinker... you seem to work (reliable) wonders with this car!

So I was saying that in hopes that you would respond that you were working on something for the SC guys.

Just a pipe dream.
We considered doin an intercooler for it, but did not see the demand.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paul and I have spoken about various upgrades and support for the SC tC guys but right now we've been really working on our EMS system for the turbo kits.

We do now sell the NST pulley line and feel that it makes a decent difference in power with the SC. I know of a few locals that have it and it's nice. My concern is voiding the warranty and making the S/C a more expensive mod vs the power you make compared to our turbo kits. If you're going to void the warranty anyway we figure a turbo kit is a better option.

Our non-turbo exhaust is a great upgrade for the TRD SC guys. Run that with the NST pulley and you should expect some decent gains, with a decent sound to go with it. More will come down the road but for now the turbo is the primary focus.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(I'm partially writing this to organize my own thoughts, partially to respond to the topic.)
---------------------------------------

Here's where we get the desire for the S/C... although it isn't making the same power numbers, we have some guarantee that it'll last as long as the car does (through toyota's warranty.)... yet... we'll have to see if that's actually the case.

The thing is, the guys who can afford to drive their tC off a cliff... who can afford to get a new motor if it nukes... are trading in their tC's and buying faster cars out of the box.

Sure, i might be able to scrap together and save $3,500 to buy and install the S/C, but I'm debating even that choice due to the bad reputation it's getting. Anything more than a day or two without my car would severely hamper my job and life in general, and having the thing blow up and not get covered by warranty would stick me with a payment sans car.

So... this begs the rhetorical questions... should I even consider getting boost? Why not get all kinds of other toys, like the AVIC D2, or a bigscreen TV for my living room, instead? What is the responsible decision in this case?

We talk about "reliability"... but there is no such thing as "reliability" with a boosted tC right now, since no one's had boost driven daily for more than 20,000 miles or so. Even that is just a fraction of how long I'm expecting to have this car around.

"No good decisions are easy."
Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've honestly seen a lot more issues on this forum with the SC guys than the turbo guys. Between bearing failure and faulty SC's, I'd say the turbo setups are pretty respectable.

My suggestion is to wait for our S2 EMS to come out because we'll be the first company to sell an EMS for the tC allowing you to tune yoru partial throttle tune in addition to the wide open throttle tune. That with the addition of a lower boost setting (say about 6psi) and you're all set for a very long time.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member

Ok, maybe my relieability standards are lower then everyone elses, My previous car had some 100$ item brake every 2-3k miles and that was just annoying. By relieablity, I don't really mind small fixes to hoses or BOVs or stuff like that but i just can't have the car crap out on me 20k miles down the road. Also I said I don't know much about turbos and such but i'm willing to learn, and if I get stuck one of my dads best friends is a 30 year auto mechanic who already told me that he'd help out if needed. With that said, I really want to learn how to turbo a car and if something brakes i need to know how to fix it. BTW ty for all the comments, more the merrier.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well then, thats is the main reason you have to pick a company with good customer serivce...From my personal experience on helping to do some installing one of my friends tc turbos down here i was very pleased to find that both Paul and Joe from Dezod motorsports were helpful in the installation... dont know where exactly to mount the intercooler.. just give em a ring or an email and there responce time was QUICK... i was sooo impressed by their CS that I am now going with them for my own turbo when i save the loot.

and no its not a shameful plug its the truth.. dont belive me.. send paul an email and see how long it takes him to respond...

again just my opinion