Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My gt3076r turbo setup results

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes GRD tuned it for me. They moved to a new location. The tuning time was 1.5 hours but he only charged me for one hour! it costed 150 plus 25 dollar setup fee. Tuan was the name of the tuner. GRD's new location is also on their website....
www.grdperformance.com
great place and hihgly recommend it. If any one is in illinois or even wisconsin, you can get ur unichip tuned there
Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

good to hear they are still in business^^^
Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be interested to see if the ECU learns around your part throttle tuning. Please let us know after a week or so.

Can't wait, Tuan is a good tuner so you should be plenty safe.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by tcengel
I'll be interested to see if the ECU learns around your part throttle tuning. Please let us know after a week or so.

it wont....the unichip is different than the emanage. It alters the signal coming out of the ECU, not going into the ECU like the emanage. Ive been praising Unichip for years now and everyone keeps doggging it because of the lack of tuners.Yes, you can tune partial throttle with the Unichip, but thats w/out having the unplug the o2 sensor and doesnt require buying additional pressure sensors unlike the emanage. I was running a unichip 2 years ago for my supercharged tC, and had the ability to switch back and forth between 2 maps on the fly. Anyone who has a computer can tune an emanage which is kinda scary cause then anyone can say..."Yea, sure, I can tune an emanage for you, just get me the software". You need to be an authorized and certified Unichip tuner to be able to tune so Id say if you have a local Unichip tuner than anyone in their right minds should scrap their Emanage. Not to mention, it also has the funcition of controlling a progressive No2 or meth/alky/water system....

I cant see your numbers cause of the web blocker they have here at work, but im sure they are good, and congrats on getting the Unichip tuned. Im sure you are completely happy!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion

it wont....the unichip is different than the emanage. It alters the signal coming out of the ECU, not going into the ECU like the emanage. Ive been praising Unichip for years now and everyone keeps doggging it because of the lack of tuners.Yes, you can tune partial throttle with the Unichip, but thats w/out having the unplug the o2 sensor and doesnt require buying additional pressure sensors unlike the emanage. I was running a unichip 2 years ago for my supercharged tC, and had the ability to switch back and forth between 2 maps on the fly. Anyone who has a computer can tune an emanage which is kinda scary cause then anyone can say..."Yea, sure, I can tune an emanage for you, just get me the software". You need to be an authorized and certified Unichip tuner to be able to tune so Id say if you have a local Unichip tuner than anyone in their right minds should scrap their Emanage. Not to mention, it also has the funcition of controlling a progressive No2 or meth/alky/water system....

I cant see your numbers cause of the web blocker they have here at work, but im sure they are good, and congrats on getting the Unichip tuned. Im sure you are completely happy!
I had a Unichip on my Subaru WRX back in 2002-2005 and I can tell you for sure that the WRX did learn around the signals from the Unichip, it was very documented. Of course there have been several revisions since then to the Unichip programming and the Toyota ECU's may work differently.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a Unichip on my Subaru WRX back in 2002-2005 and I can tell you for sure that the WRX did learn around the signals from the Unichip, it was very documented. Of course there have been several revisions since then to the Unichip programming and the Toyota ECU's may work differently.
What did you used to do? Pull a fuse and reset fuel trims? I had the Unichip GP, im not sure what version you had, but I know Dastek made some major changes with their hardware and software a couple years back. Did you have the A and B switch for the diff maps? Was yours completely Plug and play? Just out of curiosity why did you go with unichip instead of Ecu-tech or cobb acess port etc?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back in 2002, the unichip was the only ECU for the WRX and it was sold as plug and play by Turbo XS. Utec was created by Turbo XS for the same reason as the Dezod Black box, but it did not release until 2004.

With the unichip on the rex, we had to pull the negative off the battery for an hour once every~month or so. You could tell the difference cause the car would start to buck something aweful and the timing was all over the place. You could control the boost with an MBC, but the ECU would go haywire with timing.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Back in 2002, the unichip was the only ECU for the WRX and it was sold as plug and play by Turbo XS. Utec was created by Turbo XS for the same reason as the Dezod Black box, but it did not release until 2004.

With the unichip on the rex, we had to pull the negative off the battery for an hour once every~month or so. You could tell the difference cause the car would start to buck something aweful and the timing was all over the place. You could control the boost with an MBC, but the ECU would go haywire with timing.
Ahhh, gotcha...Im sure if you found the EFI fuses you coulda tried to just pull those instead of the negative battery terminal...pretty much does the same thing but you dont lose ur presets in ur radio . Do you remember the exact model of the unichip that you had? Or was it just the "Unichip". Dastek has been in the business for a long time but not to many people knew about them. They are an australian based company. With the newer Unichip GP, and the Unichip Q, they alter the outgoing signal not incoming.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EFI Fuse did not work all the time. There were two green plugs you had to connect under the dash. Most people just bought cheapo OBD readers to clear the ECU.

Yep, it was Dastek from Australia, and yes the harness heading out of the Unichip is still the same unit. Perhaps the changes that made a difference were in the programming.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

EFI Fuse did not work all the time. There were two green plugs you had to connect under the dash. Most people just bought cheapo OBD readers to clear the ECU.

Yep, it was Dastek from Australia, and yes the harness heading out of the Unichip is still the same unit. Perhaps the changes that made a difference were in the programming.
What do you mean the harness is still the same unit? I was wondering if you remember what the actual unit itself looked like or was called. The harness wouldn't change, your right, it was the programming and how they intercepted the signals that changed to keep the ECU from altering the tune on the newer unichip models. Sorry to threadjack...tcengel, if you want PM me and we can talk more about the Unichip
Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ignitionr34, please let us know in a few weeks how it's still running. Your numbers are great and I'll be heading up to GRD in ~month.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i i'll let u guyz know how it is.... i do not know how accurage my afrs for my wideband would be becuase i got my bung welded at the s pipe (close to the mid pipe portion). Another thing i like about this whole kit is that there is NO cels in my car!
plus one for unichip.... it is an amazing product.!
I dun know if u remember me tcengel, but i am the one who bought ur stock tires a while back.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dun really know about dynos, but does dyno pack read lower or higher than dynojet?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ignitionr34
yes i i'll let u guyz know how it is.... i do not know how accurage my afrs for my wideband would be becuase i got my bung welded at the s pipe (close to the mid pipe portion). Another thing i like about this whole kit is that there is NO cels in my car!
plus one for unichip.... it is an amazing product.!
I dun know if u remember me tcengel, but i am the one who bought ur stock tires a while back.
I do remember. When I get my kit installed and running we'll have to meet up. Maybe we can go to Great Lakes in the spring.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dun really know about dynos, but does dyno pack read lower or higher than dynojet?
dynopack i think is the most accurate since it takes a lot of the variables out of the dyno situation. so your reading should be the most accurate out of any dyno
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also do remember reading on their website that it has the ability to do launch control also (not that i would even use it) but as for switching b/w two maps, would the only way to do that is if u purchase the software for it??
Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i'm definetly down for greatlakes!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I also do remember reading on their website that it has the ability to do launch control also (not that i would even use it) but as for switching b/w two maps, would the only way to do that is if u purchase the software for it??
If you have the Unichip that came with the turbonetics kit then you wont be able to switch. The Unichip version that came with the Tnetics kits is the Unichip "Q". The only that I had is the Unichip "GP" which had the toggle switch that you can mount anywhere in the cabin. All I had to do was shut the car off, flick the switch, start the car back up and now Im on the second map(usually more aggressive tune). Unfortunately like I mentioned, if you have version Q then you are stuck to one map
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the "q" version have any other benefits ?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

does the "q" version have any other benefits ?
not sure...check out unichip's website, they probly have info on it

Quick Reply: My gt3076r turbo setup results