Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My modest 311whp Supercharger Install (Chart/Vid on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea man, Im soo happy people are actually starting to throw down some big numbers on the blower and on only 11 psi non the less. Congrats, you are the man right now
Old 10-15-2006, 12:17 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its deffinetly good to see someone go into unchartered territory. When I get back from the desert next year, I am either going turbo or going all out with my supercharger.
I did my first streetracing the other day (stupid of me, I have made it a year without taking the bait), but I now want more power.
I was a S2k with exhuast intake header. I kept with him on a 40 roll, but I am sure with a setup like ICENINES, I would be more than pleased.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll tell you one thing..... with the lack of spool times and that hair-raising pull, it'd be hard for me to go turbo....

Now, I need more traction. With my Falken Awful 512's, 1st gear is useless. It's just complete spinnage.

2nd gear breaks traction at around 5000 rpm's (that's just amazing.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ill let you know how the lsd handles with the power come next year. .....i have a few things I want to get done ...then get 270+ whp. --- good things for next year ... its good to wait and see how things go.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I plan on snagging the LSD as well - as soon as it's available through Sparks. Then I'll whap in an ACT stage 2 or stage 3 clutch as well.

Ripp says it's around a day's work, and they'll cut me a good deal since I'm paying their mortgages
Old 10-15-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm i'd go with the stage 3 if I was you... I know you probably already know this but figured I'd throw it out there

P.S. I'm still in awe of your impressive numbers
Old 10-15-2006, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
P.S. I'm still in awe of your impressive numbers
Heck, *I'M* still in awe!

With the last tune, Ripp did the most they could with my out-of-fuel condition. They tried tuning around it, they tried adding more fuel with an upgraded fuel pump, etc. That's when they told me, "Buddy, time for some new injectors."

They thought they were going to have to patch in a return, but as it turns out they were still able to control the injectors without doing so. I went with the Dietschwerks "580cc" injectors. They had a set of them left over from a large bulk order, but after running a flow test on them they ran at around 570cc (more than enough). They gave 'em to me for the same price as their 550's.

And yeah, I think the stage 3 will be in order.... I just hope the clutch action isn't really hard. NJ traffic can be pretty rough
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by IceNine
And yeah, I think the stage 3 will be in order.... I just hope the clutch action isn't really hard. NJ traffic can be pretty rough
which is why im wondering how big, if any, difference from the stage2 to stage3 (feel/clutching wise).
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

feeling wise there isn't a whole lot but, on my old hatchback the stage 2 had the same grip as stage 1 just with a better lifetime, where as the stage three was noticeably more agressive while engaging but had a much better lifetime for high hp applications like Icenines. Both my stage 2 and stage 3 clutches were from ACT also so I'm fairly confident that its a fair comparison even though its a different car. But Karl I had the stage 3 in my DD for almost a year. The first week or so it scares the ish outta you when it engages. Especially on those highway down shifts if you don't RPM match correctly lol

...... But with 311 whp you probably won't need to worry about that last part....
Old 10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
feeling wise there isn't a whole lot but, on my old hatchback the stage 2 had the same grip as stage 1 just with a better lifetime, where as the stage three was noticeably more agressive while engaging but had a much better lifetime for high hp applications like Icenines. Both my stage 2 and stage 3 clutches were from ACT also so I'm fairly confident that its a fair comparison even though its a different car. But Karl I had the stage 3 in my DD for almost a year. The first week or so it scares the ish outta you when it engages. Especially on those highway down shifts if you don't RPM match correctly lol

...... But with 311 whp you probably won't need to worry about that last part....
next year I will be asking myself the same thing ..... which stage2 or 3 - now that you gave more input .... i know even less now (decision wise) ..... I thought stage2 would have been the way to go ...but i dunno now. It sounds like im going to have to look into this more (in prep for next year).
Old 10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry about that.... Well if its any consalation I went with the stage two first and wound up upgrading to the stage three, but both of them have a good "firm" feel to the pedal... Something our stock clutch is seriously lacking. A big reason that I recommend the upgraded clutch for Karl is that I have this funny feeling he's not done yet. Especially if he's leaning out the injectors. Top end wise he could be looking at another 15-20 whp, throw in the fact that I believe he still has the stock head with no porting or polishing done there's another 30-50whp that he can free up with his modifications so although he only has 311whp now that could very easily hit 370whp which IMO is a little beyone the stage 2's capacity. If you're not doing a ***** to the wall build like his and you stay in the 220-300whp range you're fine with a stage 2. I think its good for somethin like 330 TQ...I'm sure you already know this but you're clutch is what stands in the way of that 360 CRANK hp (in Karls case on the average of 15% lost through the drivetrain) and the 311whp he's getting to the wheels. So when buying a clutch you have use crank hp estimates not whp estimates. A lot of people forget that and when you get into numbers 250 + that 15-20% (in manuals and up to 30% in autos) makes a HUGE difference and they wind up buying a clutch not cut out for their power. I'm done rambline about clutch decisions now, I'll let someone with even more knowledge than me chime in... I don't want to take any more glory from Karl's insanely impressive numbers

P.S. I use HP numbers because I didn't feel like looking for Karl's graph
Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously the ACT Street Clutch should hold you over for a long time. It can hold 341 ft/lbs of tq. Its TQ that eats clutches not HP.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you would be fine with a stage 2...clutches are rated for tq not hp. He is gonna have a severely hard time ever breaking 300 ft lbs. without some major work.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, especially with the S/C. I think Karls next goal should be 300ft/lbs of tq. :D
Old 10-15-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and then a LSD so those gobs of torque can actually make it to the ground
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do i smell 400 ?

c'mon now , your on a roll with horsepower! time to shoot some laughing gas =p
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

311. Watch out with have a new bad boy in town
Old 10-15-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Awesome, man!

311HP.... 260 torque?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats man. Because of your setup talks are in the works with Charles about getting a snow injection kit put on with my clutch and flywheel in a couple of months and in the summer buying a junked head, porting a polishing it, and getting ripp cams. Hopefully it ends up as good as your setup has.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

KYTC: some FYI's....

My cams are so so so so modest, yet still yielded an excellent gain.... There is no timing on these cams, there's simply additional lift and duration on the exhaust side. But just doing that alone netted a serious HP gain without throwing anything off balance. Not even a rough "glub glub glub" idle....

There's definitely more to come. I've made the Ripp folks committ to a new, more aggressive set of cams that also include timing.

Headwork should make some nice gains as well, especially with oversized valves. I plan on dropping off a motor over the winter so they can play around (it turns out junker-yet-intact motors are cheaper than I thought).

As usual, I'll disclose everything I find. I like being one of the SC pioneers like you

Quick Reply: My modest 311whp Supercharger Install (Chart/Vid on Page 8)