Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My S/C Has A Rag Eating Disorder- Stupid Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default My S/C Has A Rag Eating Disorder- Stupid Mistake

We put on my front lip, hooked up the o2 sensor AND then we changed the tranny fluid. However the intake piping was in the way so we took it out and put a rag in the s/c so that no dirt gets in.

We finished the tranny fluid and bolted everything back up forgetting about the rag. We took it for a drive and then as soon as I hit boost...*Bog bog bog bog dead* It turned off and i pulled off to the side of the rode. We then realized we had forgoten the rag. No lie, i was freaking out the whole time not physically, but def. mentally.

At idle the car reved to like 1.5k and woudn't go any lower. I coudn't accelerate so we brought some tools over and went to work. We pulled out the rag and found it to be in shredded. We took out all the piping and found the throttle body butterfly stuck open with pieces of the rag. We removed all of that and got out what we could from the throttle body.

We got the car back to Caveman's but the revs bounced all over the place by themselves and the car felt like poop. We removed everything again and vaccumed out what we could. Then we removed the battery and took apart the side of the s/c to find the blad and the housing covered in red peices of rag. We vaccumed out everything we could and now its running back to normal. It may be my imagination but I think the revs ar a little high at idle still. When i pull it out of gear they drop to about 900 and then dropp again to about 700-800. But the pull is still there and the noise from the s/c hasn't seemed to change enough to notice a difference.

I drove it again last night and at idle it seemed to be at like 900 and then i gave it some gas at idle and it dropped to about 700. Also when i pull it out of gear the revs drop and then bounce just a little bit. Anything huge i should worry about?

So we'll see how it all goes.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sound like a common case of withdraw to me. once a supercharger gets its first taste of rag, its all over. they will stop at nothing to taste that sweet oil soaked cloth again.

...but on a serious note, its just you being overly paranoid. now that something has happened you will notice things that you didnt notice before, eventhough they were already there.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My S/C Has A Rag Eating Disorder- Stupid Mistake

Originally Posted by JPsTc

I drove it again last night and at idle it seemed to be at like 900 and then i gave it some gas at idle and it dropped to about 700. Also when i pull it out of gear the revs drop and then bounce just a little bit. Anything huge i should worry about?
i think that part is normal. the same happens to me and mine has never had a rag in it. idles just below 1k and after revving a bit and then letting it idle, it hangs around the 700 mark. sometimes it even briefly drops down to 500 but then quickly goes back to the normal 700-900 range
Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

wow, consider yourself lucky... I could see that whole situation happening alot worse than that. Sounds like to me the only thing you can do is to check all your vac. hoses. It sounds like to me that it's back to normal... but... keep an eye out for a while...

highperformance shop rags + supercharger intake port = bad Idea...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Luckily enought it wasan't a really thick rag. We took some pics so w'ell post it up. It was a relatively small rag and not to thick. When we pulled it out it looked as though the middle of the rag had gotten shreded but it was still partly intact.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

OH and im hoping that any little fibers that got into the throttle body get burned up in the intake manifold or the head....
Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea anything that isnt too big will just get burnt up
Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would be like sand very bad for your motor
Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I drove it more today and all seems good. Ill keep you guys updated on this rather bizzare issue