Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My Stage 0 AFR... Rich as stated.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Default My Stage 0 AFR... Rich as stated.

I know the rich debate (Not to great for the engine) is around, but after all the worry/stress about the stage 0 running lean floating around here (REALLY bad for the engine), I went and picked up some new toys....

AEM TRU-BOOST (For Later... cool anyways)
AEM UEGO

The result of the UEGO is that I run ~Optimal 14.7 in normal non-boost driving all around town... fluctuates a bit at idle (Which I think is all cool), but when boost kicks in, immediately drops to 10.5 or so... a WOT, all the way up, I hover in the 10-11.5... definately not fuel efficient, but lots of fuel to keep knock away...

So, the stage 0 does run rich with the stock ECU setup and not leaning out on my 5 SPD... WOT and at partial throttle applied boost as well....

My First attempt, running one of the "in tail pipe o2s", showed lean conditions under boost ~15 and I didn't like it, nor trust in in that position, so got me a UEGO, mounted it in my spipe, about 7 inches below my stock wideband in the downpipe and got these results...

Thought I'd throw it out there.... as I'm going to stage one soon here and wanted to test it out while I was e-manage less....

Any info is good info to have IMHO

-WDS
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have any data logs or any scans/pics of what the AF curves look like? I've received two PMs showing leaning out with the same exact setup.

I can hear you on that partial throttle junk though lol... The 14.7 is UBER fun to get rid of for daily driving let me tell ya. We do have a fix coming out (should be done being tested over the next two weeks) that will allow ANYONE to finally tune their partial throttle fuel curves without replacing their current EMS.

Sound's like you're on the right start though. Post up some pictures or something to show what you're seeing.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah, I have to wire up a serial port to the UEGO to get at least a good hyperterminal log out of it.... I could do a little vid I guess... I'll have to play with it a bit

BTW- The TRU-Boost is nifty.... but the screen is dimmer than the UEGO..... grr....

Streeter's dyno concerned me (and other PMs I've seen too) when I saw it, but he too ran a tail pipe O2, which got similiar results to mine originally... I'm not liking that setup much... and wonder what bung welded spipe or downpipe O2s would show... as mine definately changed. Just very glad to see that the stock injectors are, in fact keeping up for me...

The UEGO seems to be reading MUCH better that that setup though... and even had Honey0Bucket (Nick), my best friend watching the whole time as well, as I still had to drive... For the record, not a knock sensor hit at all ever, the SAFC-II is watching that for me as well (Untuned)

Yeah, I feel everyones pain for closed loop partial throttle mods on the tC... not fun times...

It killed the concern on my part, which is worth the 275 bucks

Not too much time left to play, as stage one is knocking at the door and Emanage is all set to at least get the WOT and open loop curves down packed...

I'd suggest ANYONE who runs a stage 0, or a F/I setup IN ANY REGARD, pick up a good wideband to ensure everything is all peachy and dyno tune with a good data logger on the wideband bung welded, as it seems to be a more accurate option....
Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can def agree on the widebands. It's becoming just as important, if not more important than boost gauges these days. The new motors are so sensitive now you need to make sure you know what it's reading.

I had a differentiation of about .2(high rpms) to .5(low rpms) fuel points richer on the o2 compared to the tailpipe setup while we were logging on the dyno. We datalogged both AFRs and the tail pipes read about .2-.5 leaner than what it did on my primary AEM o2 sensor.

For partial throttle, our supplimental system will work on any emanage, emanage ultimate, and SAFC setup. It should be about ready in a couple weeks after we "tweak" some things and get more R&D done.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

SAFC-II... there still is hope for it being usefull... that'd be a good solution for tuning a stage-0 type setup for less... if getting the closed loop hickups gone.

My SAFC-II is a "Bling" guage right now... didn't pay for it, so can't complain
Old 09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahah.... bling bling is always great. I run the AVCRII, the Apexi RSM-GP+, and the Apexi TT. I love apexi electronics.

But yes, when the new system is out, we'll release pricing and wiring configurations for all setups. It will be very affordable as well!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do believe the Stage 0 AFR trouble is with the Automatics...
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nice...watching
Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
I do believe the Stage 0 AFR trouble is with the Automatics...

As I mentioned in the other thread, we need documented cases of actual Stage 0 Auto tC's with a problem. Theoreticals can only provide UN-tested solutions. Where is the guy with the Auto tC and Stage 0 with a tune problem?

And really don't see why it's such a big deal. If you have a problem, or expect to have a problem, then just buy some form of management, and get it over with.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rythm, read up on Peteyd A/T tC Turbo thread.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140610

It appears that the gearing on the Auto tC puts more demand on the engine while accelerating hard while on 3rd gear with a Stage 0 install (ECU takes it all the way to red-line). This demand for fuel cannot be met by the factory supplied 370cc injectors. I have talked to ZPI personally and they have confirmed me they have just recently have been made aware that A/T tC needs more fuel.

Now I've been running my car this way for about a month and other than running higher A/F I have not noticed any problems with the engine -Plugs still look okay.

We are not hear to poop on companies we are here to exchange information about F/I and our cars.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ERIC-TC
Rythm, read up on Peteyd A/T tC Turbo thread.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140610

It appears that the gearing on the Auto tC puts more demand on the engine while accelerating hard while on 3rd gear with a Stage 0 install (ECU takes it all the way to red-line). This demand for fuel cannot be met by the factory supplied 370cc injectors. I have talked to ZPI personally and they have confirmed me they have just recently have been made aware that A/T tC needs more fuel.

Now I've been running my car this way for about a month and other than running higher A/F I have not noticed any problems with the engine -Plugs still look okay.

We are not hear to poop on companies we are here to exchange information about F/I and our cars.

So basically your saying you just need bigger injectors to actually utilize the "FUN" factor of having a Stage 0 on an Auto tC?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

There WAS actually a thread from streeter which showed some lean AFRs on a manual setup in post... so, I had to check...

Bah on all the debate (I Don't WANT it in MY THREAD on MY 5-SPEED AFR).... Run a good wideband and see what your kit doing and act accordingly... It's the life of F/I....
Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...mine is steady @ 11.4-11.6 at wot.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
There WAS actually a thread from streeter which showed some lean AFRs on a manual setup in post... so, I had to check...

Bah on all the debate (I Don't WANT it in MY THREAD on MY 5-SPEED AFR).... Run a good wideband and see what your kit doing and act accordingly... It's the life of F/I....

Sorry WDS..

Sweet Car by the way. Now can we gets some vids of you killing a few local ricers or something...
Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm waiting for my stage one to go ***** out on a track and scare the heck out of a few local punks.... The most amazing part of my setup is that at idle and cruising, it's super quiet... tons of little hondas look at my roll bar and apillar now and snicker.... (If they knew) BUT, once that WG opens.... it's a different story... yikes.

She's still being built up, so I'm patiently waiting to do it all right... got the gauges in , injectors/BOV on the shelf, just waiting for management and piping/FMIC... I'd love for it to come in time to take it to the track... But, there's always next season to come back even stronger....