Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by etli
Equinox, put this on the Pacific Mid Regional Forums. Scikotics, SE, and Scinergy have all supported Dublin Toyota / Scion in the past. If they're telling you they won't replace your motor/trany/SC because you "didn't check your oil every fillup" we need to know that sort of bullsh!t.

The Scion folk in norcal are not going to support a dealership that's just making
bullsh!t up to avoid warranty work. Also, it would be helpful to know what (if any) the dealership's story is. I'm hoping you misunderstood what they said or they misunsderstood what you said.

From what you've written, there's no way it should be going down this way. What you've said they've said is just so utterly wrong, I can't get my head around it.

Are they accusing you of "Never" putting oil in it?
Are they saying that the SC just "sucked in" 2.5 quarts of oil without tripping the "check oil" light?
Thanks ed, being that im somewhat calm right now ill try to explain it the best I can..

The day after I took my car in, I got a call that my motor seized up and they found that there was about 1-1.5 qts of oil in it. Becuase of the lack of oil, they told me that it wouldnt be covered by warranty. After that I called scion customer care, and after a few days they told me the exact thing.

Now I authorized them to tear down the motor after figuring that they would find the problem and then warranty it..... I was wrong.

They found that 2 rods went through the block and 3 valves became bent. They also found "bluing" on the 4th cylinder wall (which they say is due to lack of lubrication and high revving)

All this ive not seen in person but plan on it very soon. I was told since of all the motor damage, a new long block would need to be purchased and for that plus install was $16,000.... they said they could find a rebuilt one from a local shop or something for about $9,000.

Either way I am making payments on a car that I cant drive that ran out of oil.... that I never ever saw the oil light come on until about 5 seconds before my motor blew / seized and feel like im getting screwed over.

I think that about sums it up...

Originally Posted by FMtC_krstnmj
i hope this helps... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=156377
if not, i suggest you talk to your GAP insurance... goodluck man...
oh and thank you, and I tried through GAP but my insurance wont find my car a total loss due to the fact that it wasnt in an accident, and it wont cover that.... ive never felt so screwed out of my money before
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope everything works out fine, because i always wanna see and hear that everyones tC/scions are doing great... good luck bro and dont give up on your your scion... and by the way, keep us updated...
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, dependiong of what it woudl do to your credit, I might tell them to bugger off, keep the car, and just stop making payments on it.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk That noise.

Sorry to hear you got the shaft.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing as this isn't the first tC that I have heard of the oil light not coming on until 5sec before death, I wonder if there is a faulty oil level sensor? I wonder if the sensor works with the motor off, b/c I might be tempted to try this next time I change my oil. Put 1.5Qt in see if light is on, I WILL NOT start it with that much oil in it but I was wondering if anyone else out there has that same thought?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

POST THIS UP ON THE PACIFIC MID FORUMS. You won't get any help from the local scion people in Norcal so long as you keep this thread buried in the "Forced Induction" section.

When your motor blows up - OF COURSE THERE'S GOING TO BE LESS OIL than is required in the engine. The engine become an open system and just spews oil everywhere as the motor is running.

How do they know the little bit of "blueing" they found inside the engine isn't from when the motor ACTUALLY BLEW UP on the freeway? I'd really love to hear Dublin Toyota's response on this.

Does it say somewhere in the Tc TRD SC manual that you have to check the oil every time you fill up? Did they actually show the line to you? Is it in the owner's manual? I've never heard of anyone requiring that you check the oil every fillup - except maybe the craptacular new VW Beetles which recommend oil changes every 1000 miles. And how the hell do they expect you to PROVE that you check the oil every fillup? If they don't take your word for it, they just void your warranty? That's bull.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yo 9K for a used rebuilt motor is absolutely insane...you can find a block for around $1000 anywhere from an online salvage yard....with that amount of money you can build your block to withstand whatever you throw at it...maybe it might be a good idea if your gonna be dropping the loot for a new engine to begin with...for a couple grand more you can get pistons, rods, valves, springs retainers etc...maybe even get the head ported and polished and then you can run as much boost as you want...just a thought
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well the one I found was from ZPI stage 2 long block... I might want to see if I can get a good deal on it being that im on SL...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UGH. I JUST GOT MY SUPERCHARGER LIKE 2 MONTHS AGO....hearing this scares the crap out of me.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ed, trung told me that it be best to keep it here... I guess ill have to rely on people seeing it....
Old 02-10-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153442

Well, here is a link for a post that ricktoyota73 on a super charger that was drinking a quart of oil every 500 miles...

Here are some copy-paste from that topic:

ricktoyota73 wrote:

My new mount bracket FINALLY came in yesterday, and they are going to start working on the car on Monday.
I checked the oil while gassing up on Friday, and it was below the low mark on the dipstick. It's black as Hell, too. We topped it off at my shop. The tech was thinking that if the seal inside the supercharger is bad, oil has been going through the intake and I have been burning it off.
I'm concerned that maybe the rings are bad.
I will post updates when I know more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the tC is going through about a quart of oil approx. every 500 miles. I think we are going to re-ring it.
The new supercharger has more of a clatter noise than the old one did, but just yesterday I started it up and it was whining worse than my first one. It sounds like a jet engine revving up. It has been very cold here, 0-5 degrees, but I do let my car warm up before driving it.
I am going to have the Toyota/Scion parts and service rep take a look/listen to it and hopefully get another supercharger.

------------------------

end of quote

Basically I think that low-oil engine failure could have been caused by a faulty super charger. I'm surprised the dealer just didn't remove your stock intake. They could of found it very heavily coated with oil -Which could be used to help support your case...
Old 02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The oil light works with oil pressure -You only get oil pressure when the oil pump is running (while the engine is running). The low-oil light is a pressure switch that grounds the purple-wire to the engine block (ground) when there is not enough pressure to overcome the diaghram in the switch. If there is so little oil that the pump cannot create oil pressure then the light comes on, basically. Sometimes when the oil light does come on it's too late as the oil has thickened up and damage has already occured.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eric...the first thing we checked was the intake, expecting to see it covered in oil. Nope! Nothing excessive in the PCV hose, either. No leaks found anywhere.
Another poster on here said that when his engine was disassembled, they couldn't find the reason it was consuming oil. I think they re-ringed it.
I will keep you posted.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Dude Mike, what the hell man. They should have helped you out on this, I am not happy about this one bit. Dublin toyota should know not to mess up any relations with the scion crew that supports them at all the events. I think this should be brought to the attention of the scion corp guys locally. Have you called Dave at Stevens Creek Scion yet?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC_by_TRD
sorry to hear that bout your car but IMO people understimate the power or the camry motor i mean i have nitrous and the car seems to handle just fine and im runnig a 75 wet shot and im already im my 4th bottle and im trigger happy so i spray it everyday and its just fine even tho i do check everything everyday it goes through my inspection and it passes lol
Yeah, but Walter you're spraying like a freakin madman... your inspection doesn't include a tear down of the head/block does it?

I know how you spray man... you need to lean back if you want your engine to last..

Ps.. give me a call sometime.. i'm about to go spray and I want u to have a looksee at some new things I've done
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think you're going to need a lawyer regardless Mike.

So if the oil light doesn't come on until it's already too late to do anything about it I'm guessing you're screwed.

Did they tell you you needed to check your oil every 300 miles/ one fillup the last time you were in?

Also, someone suggested to me that you send the car back to the dealership that installed your Supercharger in the first place and that they should be the ones to do the warranty work.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks man =(
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member

i love how they advertise that getting trd parts allow you to keep your warranty even though when something goes wrong they try to wiggle out of it same reason why they have a really really high reliability rating or low recall numbers, because the sweep alot of stuff on the rug
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZPI has built up long blocks for around 5K. Why waste $ on a used? I have been boosting 9PSI for well over a year now. I bought my TRD the week it became available and have no regrets. I am about to go to 14.5PSI with meth/h2o sprayer and e-manage and have no woriies.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Mike,

Do you have pictures of the damage yet? Has Dublin Scion sent the car to Tracy Scion yet?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

OK so let me get this right. You're driving like normal and you see smoke hear a noise and the car shuts off. You have it taken to a dealership and they tell you that the engine is blown and they aren't covering it because of a lack of oil. On further inspection they find 2 holes in the block and they're still wondering where the oil when? Now they want you to pay out of pocket for the damages. .......O......k........I'm not really following their though process.

You have a warranty and this is something that should be covered. I'm not sure who you called at Toyota but here's the # to your regional office 925-830-8300. I don't know who here checks their oil at every fill up but I can't find one person who does. Just remember that they have to PROVE that you caused the damage to the car. They cannot just say "Oh well that could have caused it so we're blaming that." If there are holes in the block the oil could have went out either one. Which means that they will have a hard time proving it wasn't there.

Get a copy of the Magnuso-Moss warranty act and bring it to them. They may change their minds.

Quick Reply: My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **