Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by etli
Mike,

Do you have pictures of the damage yet? Has Dublin Scion sent the car to Tracy Scion yet?
No its still at dublin toyota, and im getting a disposable camera and taking pictures as well as gutting out my stuff (amp, HU, speakers... for now) and at this point im talking to the tech who installed my S/C and he might be able to pull a few contacts for me in corp in so cal....
Old 02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
OK so let me get this right. You're driving like normal and you see smoke hear a noise and the car shuts off. You have it taken to a dealership and they tell you that the engine is blown and they aren't covering it because of a lack of oil. On further inspection they find 2 holes in the block and they're still wondering where the oil when? Now they want you to pay out of pocket for the damages. .......O......k........I'm not really following their though process.

You have a warranty and this is something that should be covered. I'm not sure who you called at Toyota but here's the # to your regional office 925-830-8300. I don't know who here checks their oil at every fill up but I can't find one person who does. Just remember that they have to PROVE that you caused the damage to the car. They cannot just say "Oh well that could have caused it so we're blaming that." If there are holes in the block the oil could have went out either one. Which means that they will have a hard time proving it wasn't there.

Get a copy of the Magnuso-Moss warranty act and bring it to them. They may change their minds.
well from what they say is that it went through the block because of the lack of oil which seems like a weak story to me.... but thank you for the number for regional... they wont brush me off since its a scion right? ( i had toyota customer care do that )
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You probably need to stick with a scion representative, not Toyota. Toyota customer service isn't going to help you or they'll just keep forwarding you to the Scion hotline.

Someone told me that if the rods blew through the sides of the block, that would be a lot more oil loss. However if the rods burst through the top of the block, the oil loss would be much less and maybe that's what Dublin Scion is basing their assessment on.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by equinox2355

well from what they say is that it went through the block because of the lack of oil which seems like a weak story to me.... but thank you for the number for regional... they wont brush me off since its a scion right? ( i had toyota customer care do that )
No they shouldn't because that is the Regional office you're calling. There isn't a different place for Scion people to call. They are the people who your dealer has to answer to so when they talk the dealer listens. Yes it's a Scion but it's still a TOYOTA!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota SUCKS with warranty. Here's my lovely supercharger story. I had an Injen CAI, & DC Sports Headers under the hood. Upon install of my supercharger I HANDED THEM my stock headers & said "look, if the headers NEED to be installed to keep my warranty, by all means, take the DC one off & put the stock back on" & they said okay. Three days later I come back & say "oh, you kept them on, i get to keep my warranty, right?" & he said "yes, you do. The DC ones looked better & have better clearance so we kept them on." & we proceeded to fill out the warranty card. Right when I got my car back I kept hearing rattling but they showed me a paper saying whining & rattling noises are normal so I figured okay, thats fine. Three weeks go by & the rattling is getting louder and louder. I showed it to one of the guys on my team & he said the supercharger shouldn't be shaking like that, so I said, okay I bet anything it's a broken bearing. I take it to the dealership the next day & they said I'd have it back in 2 hours. Well, my car was sitting at the dealership untouched for 2 days, & then they proceeded to tell me it was a broken bearing behind the pulley. They called TRD & apparently they couldn't get a bearing for a few weeks, so i'm like, okay, what the hell do I do now? HERE'S THE BEST PART: THEY SAID MY BEARING WENT OUT BECAUSE MY HEADERS WERE TOO HOT. You tell me how my bearing BEHIND the pulley went out because of my headers. The friggin PLASTIC airbox is closer to the headers than that bearing. How'd metal go out before plastic? I nagged at them for days & yelled at them because 1) that's a bull____ excuse, & 2) I TOLD THEM TO PUT THE STOCK BACK ON IF NEED BE, SO CRAP LIKE THIS WOULDNT HAPPEN. Well, lucky for me they've had a brand new supercharger sitting at the dealership for 6 months. I nagged at them for days telling them they HAD to take one out of that because it wasn't my fault that this happened. They should be responsible for it seeing how they're the ones who decided to keep those headers on. Well, 5 days go by & I finally get my car back & they basically called TRD & TOLD THEM I had aftermarket headers, so they made me sign a paper saying I'd put my stock ones back on & that this was a "courtesy repair", courtesy my ___ because this is all their fault. I personally think the dealership was stupid & didn't install it right since it was their first one. I told the guy who did the install that I wanted the stock ones on NOW, and they had the nerve to tell me they'd charge me for it. Basically, I was livid because none of this should've happened seeing how I wanted the stock one back on. Plus, I think TRD will pull any excuse out of their ___ to get out of a warranty. I fear for the day that something else goes wrong with my supercharger because I'll bet anything that they'll blame it on the fact that I had aftermarket headers on no matter how long ago it was. I can hear it now, "well, we have note that you had aftermarket headers on 3 years ago, so that's probably why X broke. No warranty for you, SORRY!" Oh boy will they get an earful if that happens.

Bottom Line: Toyota sucks with warranty.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
Toyota SUCKS with warranty. Here's my lovely supercharger story. I had an Injen CAI, & DC Sports Headers under the hood. Upon install of my supercharger I HANDED THEM my stock headers & said "look, if the headers NEED to be installed to keep my warranty, by all means, take the DC one off & put the stock back on" & they said okay. Three days later I come back & say "oh, you kept them on, i get to keep my warranty, right?" & he said "yes, you do. The DC ones looked better & have better clearance so we kept them on." & we proceeded to fill out the warranty card. Right when I got my car back I kept hearing rattling but they showed me a paper saying whining & rattling noises are normal so I figured okay, thats fine. Three weeks go by & the rattling is getting louder and louder. I showed it to one of the guys on my team & he said the supercharger shouldn't be shaking like that, so I said, okay I bet anything it's a broken bearing. I take it to the dealership the next day & they said I'd have it back in 2 hours. Well, my car was sitting at the dealership untouched for 2 days, & then they proceeded to tell me it was a broken bearing behind the pulley. They called TRD & apparently they couldn't get a bearing for a few weeks, so i'm like, okay, what the hell do I do now? HERE'S THE BEST PART: THEY SAID MY BEARING WENT OUT BECAUSE MY HEADERS WERE TOO HOT. You tell me how my bearing BEHIND the pulley went out because of my headers. The friggin PLASTIC airbox is closer to the headers than that bearing. How'd metal go out before plastic? I nagged at them for days & yelled at them because 1) that's a bull____ excuse, & 2) I TOLD THEM TO PUT THE STOCK BACK ON IF NEED BE, SO CRAP LIKE THIS WOULDNT HAPPEN. Well, lucky for me they've had a brand new supercharger sitting at the dealership for 6 months. I nagged at them for days telling them they HAD to take one out of that because it wasn't my fault that this happened. They should be responsible for it seeing how they're the ones who decided to keep those headers on. Well, 5 days go by & I finally get my car back & they basically called TRD & TOLD THEM I had aftermarket headers, so they made me sign a paper saying I'd put my stock ones back on & that this was a "courtesy repair", courtesy my butt because this is all their fault. I personally think the dealership was stupid & didn't install it right since it was their first one. I told the guy who did the install that I wanted the stock ones on NOW, and they had the nerve to tell me they'd charge me for it. Basically, I was livid because none of this should've happened seeing how I wanted the stock one back on. Plus, I think TRD will pull any excuse out of their butt to get out of a warranty. I fear for the day that something else goes wrong with my supercharger because I'll bet anything that they'll blame it on the fact that I had aftermarket headers on no matter how long ago it was. I can hear it now, "well, we have note that you had aftermarket headers on 3 years ago, so that's probably why X broke. No warranty for you, SORRY!" Oh boy will they get an earful if that happens.

Bottom Line: Toyota sucks with warranty.
WOW! That sucks!

My suggestion to everyone here is if you have work done at a dealership and they do something like install the S/C with a header on the vehicle have them put it in writing that they are OK with it. That way you are covered no matter what.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM
SL Member

holy crap that sucks
i hope they fix it gratis
a new car shouldnt have anything like that happen. especially a toyota with their rep and all. keep on with the updates
Old 02-16-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Josh what if a dealership installed a custom intake for a supercharger? A dealership installed an intake for my friend and they told him it will not void the warranty because of the MAF sensor or something like. I couldn't understand the rest of what my friend was saying over the phone about what the dearlership told him. (my cell phone suck)
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have everything in writting! The Dealer will tell you anything to make the deal. Then if anything happens they will not back you up when TRD starts to ask questions and requesting photos... Then you are sol
Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cessblood
Josh what if a dealership installed a custom intake for a supercharger? A dealership installed an intake for my friend and they told him it will not void the warranty because of the MAF sensor or something like. I couldn't understand the rest of what my friend was saying over the phone about what the dearlership told him. (my cell phone suck)

Every dealership should know that you cannot put any aftermarket intake on a S/C Toyota period. If they do not then I would find another dealer to go to. If they do intall it on the car then they are responsible for whatever happens to that car. But like I said get everything you can in writing and signed by the Service manager if you can. In this case they apparently have not read one thing about the S/C for the tC because it clearly states to not do that. But we all know that.

Yes there are some shady dealers out there and they will do whatever to get the business. I can tell you that not every dealer is like that because we're not like that.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive been thinking of taking it to the dealer who installed my S/C im just not sure of how much "good" it would do... either the dealer is trying to blow smoke up my a** by saying that its the regional guy not them that is saying no... or its the regional guy who doesnt want his numbers or whatever to look bad. Before I call anyone else or take it anywhere else, tonight I am taking a disposable camera to the dealer and taking photos of the motor and current state of the car (as well as taking out my deck and speakers and my amp). I also wont call the dealer to tell them I am coming down, so that they dont try anything shady like try and clean out the intake or something.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wait this isn't the dealer that installed it? I must have missed that part. I would have taken it to them first. But hind sight is 20/20. Take all the pics you need to just to be safe. I just think that this is total BS on the dealers part. I might get yelled at at some point for saying that but it is BS. I don't think you should be liable for what happened when they can't prove what happened.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah the dealer did install it, but it is a different dealer.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah I though so. I still would have taken it to the dealer that did the work originally.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It took my dealer 3 days from the time the motor locked up to the time they said they would warranty it. The small block had to be replaced along with the cams and the cam assembly. My problem was s/c related though.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
Yeah I though so. I still would have taken it to the dealer that did the work originally.
I took it to the dealer that was closest to me being that the other dealer is about 45 miles.... and that would cost me about $300 to get it there.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So Mike and I spoke to a Scion rep a few days ago. He said that in equinox's case, he should call the Scion customer service number (1.866.70.SCION.) because there's a process that such things have to go through. The process tries to inform the right people at Scion Corporate, (and presumably, TRD, and the local Scion dealerships) about the issue and figure out what should happen next.

Hopefully, this will get Dublin Scion or hell, SOMEBODY, to get his car fixed per warranty.

Boy, these superchargers are a pain in the a$$.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Who is stupid enough to pay for a $16000 engine job? You can buy another Scion for that much. That dealership you got your car at is trying to rip you a new one.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Keep us informed of this. I hope someone in the local crew has made a call in to the GM of the dealership saying we'll "NEVER" show again if this BS continues to go down.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Although I agree with the sentiment - hell, that's the approach I wanted to take at first, I'd still like to hear from Dublin Scion. From what someone else said, the TFS (FST? STF?) - something Toyota field service tech had made a "judgement" on that particular situation and said they wouldn't honor the warranty. I don't know if the TFS has actually seen the dissected engine or what not, or if they got all their info on what happened from the dealer, but I believe the Magnussun-Moss act requires that the people who are refusing to honor warranty be able to prove the owner neglected his car.

I don't know if Mike has gone through the Scion consumer hotline yet or not. He still hasn't posted up any pix yet either. Come on Mike!

Quick Reply: My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **