Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

they wont cover my s/c
am gettin a lawyer and taking this to court
Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey folks,

I took a look at equinox's motor at Steven's Creek scion last friday. Dragon and Dave took a look at the busted motor also. The piston did NOT seize against the walls of the block. We were able to push the piston down BY HAND. The other pistons did not move at all when we did that which tells us (I think) that the piston is no longer connected to the crankshaft. (I'm not really a car guy so I might be mixing up terminology).

We took the piston that was over the broken holes of his engine out. What we found was that the rod connecting the piston physically to the crankshaft had broken. The piston head itself and the inner wall of the block looked smooth and oiled and the piston head came out easily. The other guys there tell me that a lack of oil DID NOT cause the piston rod to snap because there's no damage or seizeing of the piston head against the inner walls of the block.

I will post pictures sometime if I get a chance.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yeah post the pictures up as soon as you can.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is why I always tell people all the time when the buy the s/c to do it for the right reasons. If you mod the s/c in any way they will find a way not to hold up the warranty. TRD has to be losing money on this thing. I’ve heard stories from people that never had their tamper proof cap installed and were responsible owners modding nothing just to burn out a bearing and have TRD turn them down. Then your fight is with the dealership, good luck getting them to swallow that one. Take it to another dealership with the stock intake, hope the dealership you took it to didn’t try making a claim with TRD using the VIN on your car or the number on the blower.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my S/C was not modified at all
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intake technically replaces the s/c air box which is apart of the s/c setup. It's all up to TRD with whether or not they will uphold anything that isn't exactly what they included in the kit. I found all the little technicalities a few months ago with my TRD experience. I think it’s bull, which is why you should fight it
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I never modified my intake either, I think that was another guy who got denied coverage, mine was bone stock, everything on it was the same as when it was installed by a toyota mechanic
Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've heard some "news" / gossip / rumors that a few motors (from Camry's AND tc's) are breaking at the rod. If you find yourself having to rebuild your engine or swap it out for whatever reason, you might consider swapping out some stronger rods for the motor. Although this mostly applies to those folks who like to really thrash the hell out of their tc and camrys. (6000rpm, then, BAM pop the clutch on 1st!)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah I hear you there!
It hasnt happened to me but I am going to be trading my tC in for a civic Si because I am unhappy myself in toyota.
And thats pretty bad seeing is how I work for them. heh Im also going to go switch and work for honda. What are you going to get instead?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, 07 tC have oil squirters under the pistons... I wonder why this change on such a new engine? Hopefully it will help with durabilitydown the road once the 07 crowd starts to boost it up with the new s/c and the 07 turbo kits. Really hit-n-miss with the 2AZFE. Some folks running the ____ out of the engine at over 300hp and not having problems -others breaking ____ out just with an intake? Makes no sense to me.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trungchau
they wont cover my s/c
am gettin a lawyer and taking this to court
What?! You're getting a lawyer cuz your SC went bad when you broke the contract yourself by changing the pulley & gettin a BOV?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/\ /\ /\ when will people learn to read?? STOCK means STOCK. He didn't put on an intake or a pulley. Read the first page.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_litigator
/\ /\ /\ when will people learn to read?? STOCK means STOCK. He didn't put on an intake or a pulley. Read the first page.
When will people learn to read quotes?! I'm talking about trungchau, not the original poster. trungchau is supercharged & he said he's getting a lawyer yet he modified parts he wasn't supposed to modify, so CHILL THE HELL OUT.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for mixing you guys up. It's all fun and games swapping pulleys untill something goes wrong and you're out the warranty. Why a dealer or TRD wouldn't cover a stock setup is beyond me. Although, I can think of two cases where the cap was never put on the pulley and TRD refused to hold up the warranty after their s/c went broke down.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Sorry for mixing you guys up. It's all fun and games swapping pulleys untill something goes wrong and you're out the warranty. Why a dealer or TRD wouldn't cover a stock setup is beyond me. Although, I can think of two cases where the cap was never put on the pulley and TRD refused to hold up the warranty after their s/c went broke down.
I never had a cap installed on mine either. The dealer made note of it and everything but now I'm worried.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trungchau never installed the pulley. He only had a CAI
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

checking oil at every fill-up is not mandatory maintenance...if they continue to say that, get a lawyer, sue for rental, down time, lost wages, agravaition, the price of the new motor, and anything else under the sun

this is not your fault,(from what ive read) in any way at all

definetly get a lawyer, and stick it to the people there, this is BS
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cessblood
trungchau never installed the pulley. He only had a CAI
Interesting. He had it in his list of mods on his profile so I figured it was installed. But even installing a CAI will void the warranty.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ the funny think about the intake is that some dealership will cover it witht he warranty and some will not. it's up the dealership. If they call TRD, TRD will just tell them to take off the intake and put the stock one back on and everything will be cool. I guess it's all how you explain your problem that will help you keep the warranty.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What I had bought based upon Ads:

What I got when Toyota wouldn't warranty it:

lol just goes to show you, that you don't get what you paid for.

As some of you might be aware, my car is in very good hands right now and is also getting a few upgrades since she is under the knife:

TRD Limited Slip Diff
Hotchkis Sway Bars & Lowering Springs
Clutchmaster Flywheel and Stage 1 Clutch
DC Sports Front Strut Bar
AIT Center Gauge Pod
AEM Guages (Wideband A/F, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure)
Oil Cooler
Redline Tuning Hood Strut
Rennen DV C/F Hood (dublin didnt bolt mine on at all and it fell off when being towed)

Quick Reply: My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **