Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My Tc's power S/c'd

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
thats the whole point - when they come out w/ the s/c intakes they are going to be dyno proven..... the same way all the other parts are. Scion people go by what looks good, what sounds good, and what performs. This car is too hot to not be picky ...cause the next company that is putting out a better product is getting the sales.
How can you cater an intake to the S/C. i don't see how an intake on a S/C car is going to be any different than the same intake on the N/A version. Besides putting out more power DUE to the S/C.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

certain pipe sizes and designs could just possibly be the difference of 2 horse power and a few foot pounds. Thats why design counts... just ask zpi, they are spending a nice amount of time on an intake and stuff like that for the supercharger.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ exactly
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man that sc is looking pretty good especially for someone like me who wants to learn how to tune everything myself sc is a lot easier then a turbo and same hp is possible, hey were you thinking of upping your boost a little with the pulleys, that and the fmic sound like it would put you in the very good hp range
Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
man that sc is looking pretty good especially for someone like me who wants to learn how to tune everything myself sc is a lot easier then a turbo and same hp is possible,

You forgot to mention with the addition of a few more thousand dollars, the same hp is possible.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about a timeslip?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
man that sc is looking pretty good especially for someone like me who wants to learn how to tune everything myself sc is a lot easier then a turbo and same hp is possible,

You forgot to mention with the addition of a few more thousand dollars, the same hp is possible.
Haha thats true, but a sc seems easier to tune for me ( I never tuned anything, just small stuff, cai, oilchanges, install subs and amps, but never f/i ) turbo is more complex i think id end up blowing my engine
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plus everyone is saying turbos are cheaper turbo kits are all in the 4500-5000 range, exept for zpi stage 0 but no intercooler no fuel managment thats just as bad as the sc and cost only a little bit less. I do like the fact that its easy to install sinc ei plan on installing w/e i get myself
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

plus everyone is saying turbos are cheaper turbo kits are all in the 4500-5000 range, exept for zpi stage 0 but no intercooler no fuel managment thats just as bad as the sc and cost only a little bit less. I do like the fact that its easy to install sinc ei plan on installing w/e i get myself

Why does everyone leave out the fact that it's OPTIONAL.... Stage 0 with added IC and E-manage still comes out cheaper when comparing $ per HP.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

sure - if you dont want a boost in hp throughout the entire band, get a turbo.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's incorrect. The turbos make more boost early on than the TRD sc. ZPI's kits make boost around 2k RPM whilst the sc requires revving to about 5k rpm to get full boost.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its too bad that TRD isnt making a turbo that will make your warranty happy....
or maybe toyota making it so we can put a ZPI turbo on and not void a warranty
Old 11-30-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i was big into turbos but not anymore --- the more im reading about superchargers in general ....the more im liking them. its a personal thing --- next year the supercharger is going to happen for me.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm leaning towards the SC too, but some of the numbers that I have heard off of that stage 1.... whoa.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by JohnL
Yeah I'm leaning towards the SC too, but some of the numbers that I have heard off of that stage 1.... whoa.

ive talked to too many people - you get up into the 300whp range ... you need different pistons and it wouldnt hurt to get diff rods.... like i said.... nobody has to respond to this statement but that is my view on the matter. I think this engine was rated at around 260whp w/o internal work. Higher then that i think internals is a must. The supercharger can put out more boost that what you ever will put into your tc. Its running 6.5psi and is able to be turned up to 19psi if the setup could handle it.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive talked to too many people - you get up into the 300whp range ... you need different pistons and it wouldnt hurt to get diff rods.... like i said.... nobody has to respond to this statement but that is my view on the matter. I think this engine was rated at around 260whp w/o internal work. Higher then that i think internals is a must. The supercharger can put out more boost that what you ever will put into your tc. Its running 6.5psi and is able to be turned up to 19psi if the setup could handle it.

Yeah see I spent quite a lot of time reading about superchargers and turbos and their difference and pros and cons and in the end i came back to what is in every comparing situation sounds logical: Nither is better, each has pros and cons.

Here is what I got out of the articles summarized(iam going to compare trd sc therefor a lot of pros of sc wont apply to it, because it is cenrifugal) - Turbo - ZPI0 - turbos create more boost meaning more power meaning if you want a pure race machine turbo would prolly suite you more, just as an example the sc can spool to 40,000 rpms which is a lot higher then other sc however compared to a turbo 150,000 this is nothing.. However turbos are harder to install, harder to maintaine( you have to wait for them to cool down before turning of your engine and you gota check on your oil a little more often), and generaly are a little less reliable then a sc compared to the centrifugal sc not by a lot. Supercharger TRD - this is a bit tricky since a lot of normal sc stuff doesnt apply here because trd uses a centrifusial sc which is more of a turbo driven by a belt instead of exhaust (compared to totaly diff design with 2 other sc) the sc is a simpler, it is virtualy maintance free(no oil checks and waiting for it to cool off) saying that sc give you low end power doesnt apply here since likea turbo you have to wait for the sc to spool up to give any significant boost. oh and you can keep your header with the sc where as in a turbo will replace it with a turbo manifold (and be trickier to install to a custom spipe) the zpi 0 also is not much harder to install then the trd sc most other turbos kits will get complex though compared to the sc.

So its a choice between simpler and less maintance (good for newbie tuners like me) and a tiny bit more reliabilty over getting more horses but doing some extra work for them (dont get me wrong this kit isnt much harder to install then the sc just harder to upgrade). Now people will say but the sc can be moded up to the same hp as the turbo yeah true but you are also sheeling out more money for it so comparatively speaking the two differences will always stand. Both setups can yield 300 whp gains I believe.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

As much as 400hp has been achieved on stock internals with the TC. Not recommending it, just stating a fact.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought 520 was achieved until something blew. I meant both system can achieve 300 whp with mods to the turbo/sc and perhaps forged pistons for safety.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im not saying that 300whp is possible with the stock setup but I have talked to too many people and "I"wouldnt do it to my car.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with forged pistons and valves why not? stock i wouldnt either but froged internals why not?

Quick Reply: My Tc's power S/c'd