Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Myth and Info on my Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Myth and Info on my Car

Lately my message inbox has been getting filled. I am sorry I am laggin to some people in replies, I've been very busy as of late.

Anyways, alot of people have been asking me why i sprayed my intercooler and wondered what exactly was a sleeper and why i went that route.

Ok...

I've been in the import scene for quite a while, almost 5 years to be exact, I've worked on A LOT of cars. I know whats hot and whats not. Do I think I'm king$hit on scionlife? Absolutely not.

As for spraying the intercooler. yes I know the myth about "painting" the intercooler. My friend out here in AZ sprayed his intercooler on his 04 STi and he's running over 360awhp. I personally think the whole spraying the intercooler is a complete myth. Plus if you look at my car it looks completely stock and yes I LOVE that my car looks stock....

Which leads me into the next point

A "sleeper"

What is a "sleeper?" You ask. In the Import Scene a "sleeper" is known/classified as a car having major performance upgrades with absolutely no Body, Interior mods what so ever. Is it a hawt look? Absolutely, IMHO. Yes some people like to be all show and all go, but for people (like me) its nice to roll up to a light and have some "ricer" start revving his engine or even laughing at you for having a "bone stock tC." Well who gets the last laugh when you take off at the light? Ahhh its you the "sleeper"

THAT is why I went that way, does this mean I race red light to red light? Hell no, I did the "sleeper" look as a shock factor to kids and to crowds at car shows. Its great going places and people hear my turbo spool as I'm say pulling into the parking lot or something. They can do nothing but stare and wonder "WTF IS THAT?!" This has happened to me on numerous occasions already, its a great feeling.

I'll try to respond to the PM's again, but for now I gotta go to school.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

imho, sleeper is the only way to go.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ive always been a sleeper man, but what my dream has always been, is to get like a 91 honda hatch back, paint it lime green, put vinyls over it, an aluminum spoiler, some multi-colored rims, z3 fenders, gauges, underglow, all the stuff you know makes a "ricer", and we all know ricers just put fart cans and intakes on their cars, i think itd be even funnier to have an 11 second turbo hatch that looked freakin terrible, bigger diss than stock IMO....i just think itd be funny for vipers and vettes to get blown away by the ultimate rice-mobile
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontuner
ive always been a sleeper man, but what my dream has always been, is to get like a 91 honda hatch back, paint it lime green, put vinyls over it, an aluminum spoiler, some multi-colored rims, z3 fenders, gauges, underglow, all the stuff you know makes a "ricer", and we all know ricers just put fart cans and intakes on their cars, i think itd be even funnier to have an 11 second turbo hatch that looked freakin terrible, bigger diss than stock IMO....i just think itd be funny for vipers and vettes to get blown away by the ultimate rice-mobile
I'm not saying I'm the only sleeper or anything, but it just seems i've been the only one to really be speaking my voice abotu being a sleeper. sure to you guys im not a sleeper b/c you've seen my shiz, but to the kids here...yeah lol

now that would be funny! :D ultimate rice mobile...haha
Old 06-22-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

my friend and i built a 13.2 sec all motor honda sleeper, and i always threaten him with a late-night rice attack....the look on his face is classic every time i say it.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To each is their own; however:
1. Most of the time owners who make their cars sleepers don't have enough money for both, performance and other upgrades. There are exceptionsn though.
2. STI has nozzles that spray intercooler when needed from the factory. I would venture to say they know a little bit more about those things then your average street tuner.

In any case. I like the idea of having a sleeper but it is not for me. Cool setup BlkSandPrlTurbotC.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the bigger benefit by far is that you can have a sickening fast car, modded to the extreme (under the hood), and still not catch crap from the cops! appearance mods draw attention, performance mods don't. and money saved on appearance mods is money that can be spent on go-fast mods.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I say alcohol/water spray'd coolers work.

Spraying the cooler aids the cooling process of air. And as we all know colder air is denser air. And denser air .. well you know.

I further believe it makes some sort of issue because alcohol/water injection is not legal in the WRC anymore. At least to my understanding.

As for the sleeper. I am 100% with yah on that one.

I have chrome turn signal bulbs, s2k antenna, and my car is lowered. The rest of my car is all performance.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cryO2
Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should use whatever is in the can of the keyboard spray...try sparying urself with that while the can is upside down...that thing is COLD!!!...infact its sooo cold that it feel liks its burning...no joke...i sparyed one of my friends before as a lil prank....it was madd funny....if you sparyed that on your intercooler...youll drop a few more degrees in air temp then using plain water alone.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm....you can actually get frost bite from spraying yourself with one of those (upside down).
Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you really want to make it a sleeper, 600 grit sand the car and spray paint her flat black and the rims... total mad max style hehehe. Come on man, ya know you want to hehe.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GetCaughtDead
umm....you can actually get frost bite from spraying yourself with one of those (upside down).
yeah i kno...i only sprayed him for like a second tho
Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Myth and Info on my Car

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
As for spraying the intercooler. yes I know the myth about "painting" the intercooler. My friend out here in AZ sprayed his intercooler on his 04 STi and he's running over 360awhp. I personally think the whole spraying the intercooler is a complete myth.
Not sure how u can think it's a myth. We've installed intercooler sprayers on my friend's built MKIII and other friend's R32 GTR. It's a huge difference!! When frost develops on the intercooler, there is now doubt it's drawing in much colder air. I've never done one on a lower hp vehicle though. Usually only done on very high performance machines.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The spraying, he is talking about painting it... as in spray painting
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any track times yet?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GetCaughtDead
I think the bigger benefit by far is that you can have a sickening fast car, modded to the extreme (under the hood), and still not catch crap from the cops! appearance mods draw attention, performance mods don't. and money saved on appearance mods is money that can be spent on go-fast mods.
Which is EXACTLY why I'm going so low key. Nice post here, btw.

I'm working on my suspension now, and will eventually have the TRD S/C. I don't want to do much, if any bodywork, because I'm enjoying NOT getting pulled over anymore.

Again, I live in Irvine. In my last car--'96 model, had a primered trunk--I got pulled over at least once a month, if not once a week. In my tC, because it's a newer car, I don't get pulled over. I've been pulled over once in two years, and that was in a speed trap.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love the sleeper look and thats why i built one
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've always luved the sleeper ideals, whether back in the day, or now. But i have to say most of the truly "fast" cars i've been associated with weren't exactly sleepers ( hard to hide a 351 in a Pinto, or a punched 454 pushing 515+hp in a Camaro ). My "problem" as an old school person is one could tell what a guy was running by listening to the car ( lopey cam, air sucking thru a big Holley, and yes a small block sounds diff then a big block ); and now i see some 'crappy' looking hatch who could hand me my lunch in a race, and i'll see a nice looking tuner car that's mechanically all stock. Guess I have a lot to learn.
Anyhow--sleeper is the way we'll go on ours, as we prefer to attract attention only when we want to...

and ps: do track/dyno times really matter? If the person building the car gets satisfaction each time they hit the accelerator, what do numbers really mean anyways? no dissing, just wondering out loud.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it's just a way to convey how fast your car is, in this case, when talking to someone on a message board who can't easily see your car, nevermind ride in it and feel the power first hand.

Quick Reply: Myth and Info on my Car