Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need a good catch can

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need a good catch can

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. I need a good catch can and don't want to spend $200 for a $50 part. Is Megan decent? I like it but can't find the inlet/outlet size. I'd like to stay with 5/8" rather than restrict my PCV system with smaller hoses. How about Greddy? Seems a bit over-priced but at least I know I can use 5/8" hoses.

Do the Megan and Greddy come with filter media? Can it be added to the Greddy? Any other catch cans I should look at? TIA
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://saikoumichi.com/

^the best.

Any other catch can will prevent oil in its liquid state from moving through the lines, but the above are the only ones that will truly catch almost all oil vapor which lowers the overall octane of the a/f mixture in your engine

gotta pay to play lol
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
http://saikoumichi.com/

^the best.

Any other catch can will prevent oil in its liquid state from moving through the lines, but the above are the only ones that will truly catch almost all oil vapor which lowers the overall octane of the a/f mixture in your engine

gotta pay to play lol
Thanks. I was under the impression that some other catch cans can trap oil vapor using 2 chamber designs, baffles and/or mesh filter media that help collect oil.

BTW, I forgot to mention that my setup is mild. 7 psi and a conservative tune on a AT. Saikou Michi may be the best but I'm not sure I really need the best in this case. I'm definitely considering this catch can but still unsure that a Megan, Greddy or NRG wouldn't be adequate.

One more question. If I understand our PCV system correctly, under low load conditions the crankcase vents through the PCV valve into the manifold and under higher loads (and boost) this reverses and excess pressure is vented into the intake tubing before the throttle body. Since most blowby occurs in high load, I was planning to install only 1 catch can between the valve cover and the intake tubing. Is it worth installing a 2nd can between the PCV valve and intake manifold?

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have two Saikou Michi cans on the way so that I can have both lines covered. Under vac, the crankcase sucks in air through the intake line and pushes it out into the manifold line which pushes liquid oil straight into your intake manifold. Under boost, the PVC valve shuts (cutting off the manifold line) and air does not move through the valve cover. Under this condition oil is allowed to drip into the intake piping through the other line as nothing seals the other line off.

If you're only going to run one cheap can, run it on the line that goes to the intake tubing to prevent oil from dripping into it and being sucked through your turbo, intercooler and other components.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have two Saikou Michi cans on the way so that I can have both lines covered. Under vac, the crankcase sucks in air through the intake line and pushes it out into the manifold line which pushes liquid oil straight into your intake manifold. Under boost, the PVC valve shuts (cutting off the manifold line) and air does not move through the valve cover. Under this condition oil is allowed to drip into the intake piping through the other line as nothing seals the other line off.

If you're only going to run one cheap can, run it on the line that goes to the intake tubing to prevent oil from dripping into it and being sucked through your turbo, intercooler and other components.
With all this oil entering the intake I'm surprised I only burn maybe 1/2 qt every 5000 miles. In any case I agree that the intake side is most important due to running boost but a can on the PCV valve side seems like a good idea too. It might not be necessary but it should reduce carbon desposits left by the burnt oil.

Maybe I'll buy 2 SM cans. $130 for 2 cans is a pretty good deal. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have the NRG oil catch can, didn't do a thing, still alowed oil to make it into the intake tube, my buddy has a MMW catch can and his still allows oil into the intake tube, those designs do not work at all, my next one will be the one posted above, it looks good and its functional.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cap the Intake tube and manifold, run 2 hoses from both spots in the head into a soda bottle. Done. Cheap. will work fine.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
Cap the Intake tube and manifold, run 2 hoses from both spots in the head into a soda bottle. Done. Cheap. will work fine.
oh god no.

Fail. Cheap. Will make your engine run like s#*t
Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
oh god no.

I dont really agree with the soda bottle part but its not gonna make your car run like crap. I did this but ran both crankcase lines to a vented catch can. Oh yea i deleted the PCV and taped it to run a 5/8" hose. Only catch is that this mod is illegal if you even care.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have ran a filter on both vents (I know dirty engine bay) for years and the car runs great! It is not the ideal setup but it works plenty fine but like he said above, it is illegal because exhaust gases are not getting filtered by the cat but if you have a turbo I am sure you are already running cat-less.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
I used to have the NRG oil catch can, didn't do a thing, still alowed oil to make it into the intake tube, my buddy has a MMW catch can and his still allows oil into the intake tube, those designs do not work at all, my next one will be the one posted above, it looks good and its functional.
Good info, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'll pass on the soda bottle idea, although I am giving some thought to making my own catch can. I also considered bypassing the PCV and just running filters but I'd rather not have the smell or mess.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really?

hmm I was definitely under the impression that venting the intake port is fine (cept for the dirty engine bay) but that venting the PVC port would make the engine run terribly....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh god no.

No it wont. I made my own Catch can. I capped the IM, and made my charge pipe without the bung on it. Ran 2 braided lines from the head to a custom vivrant can I made, Vented one side to atmosphere. The car runs great with it. And while running 18psi the cappuccino fills it up quick on a stock engine.

you fail.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guess so :-/

well sorry for runnin my mouth, coulda sworn I heard otherwise.

However I still don't think that set up is an option I'd like to run. Something about the crankcase gasses not being able to flow at all makes me nervous so I'm still looking forward to my SM cans comin in the mail soon :-)

Last edited by x_Batman_x; 08-11-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get no blow by my breather is still white with slight dark spot on bottom i should run a catch can but oh well
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so... if you want a cheap oil catch can... this is a DIY that I found on one of the honda forums I'm on. I've used this in my old cb7.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=oil+catch

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Batman,

Did you order the Stage 1 Split DC3? It looks like it includes two of the stage 1 OCC's except it's about $20 cheaper than buying two stage 1's separately.

Hmmm... I think I may go this route. Let me know how it pans out.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck
so... if you want a cheap oil catch can... this is a DIY that I found on one of the honda forums I'm on. I've used this in my old cb7.

^^^Interesting... Nice DIY!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep. You'll find a lot of good DIY's on that site. I mean hell, they even have the H22 swap in a DIY form. I think someone there did a full H22 swap in under 10 hours with hand tools.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck

Thanks for the inspiration. I almost did the same DIY CC but when I saw how small that air filter canister is, I made my own instead.

Total cost = $35

DIY thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193244

Semi-finished catch can: