Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need GOOD Reasons for TRD S/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it have a break in time for the s/c ? Cause I have to take the highway to get home from my dealer and I dont want anything to go wrong
Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Tell them this kid with a honda keeps trying to race you and you cant win with out the supercharger. That should work.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, yea that one will work ^
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could always tell them it will raise the resale and tradein value of the car but if get it you youll be using your warranty to have it replaced becouse the bearings inside the supercharger sucks i s/c my car 2 1/2 years after buying it brand new and i never had warranty work on my car before i s/ced it after i s/ced it i broke a trans mount then the tech that did my install forgot to rerout a wireharness and it meted and shorted out and now my warranty is up and must rebuild my s/cer

42,567miles on my car before s/c = no problem
with in 1 month wire harness shorted out = warranty
and a mounth after that trans mount broke = warranty
and now that i have 58,000 miles on my car and 14,000+ on the s/c my bearings go out = no warranty and all this happend within 8 months after i s/c my car
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was gonna say that you can try the "This will be a father/son project and it would be great for the family.."

But it seems like you want to get it installed at the factory.

Booo..
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by streettimetc
you could always tell them it will raise the resale and tradein value of the car but if get it you youll be using your warranty to have it replaced becouse the bearings inside the supercharger sucks i s/c my car 2 1/2 years after buying it brand new and i never had warranty work on my car before i s/ced it after i s/ced it i broke a trans mount then the tech that did my install forgot to rerout a wireharness and it meted and shorted out and now my warranty is up and must rebuild my s/cer

42,567miles on my car before s/c = no problem
with in 1 month wire harness shorted out = warranty
and a mounth after that trans mount broke = warranty
and now that i have 58,000 miles on my car and 14,000+ on the s/c my bearings go out = no warranty and all this happend within 8 months after i s/c my car
It's supposed to be covered under the 12 month or remainder of your powertrain warranty (whichever is longer) if the s/c was purchased new and installed by the dealer. If it wasn't installed by the dealer, you should still have the 12 month warranty.

Not everyone has had problems with their s/c. I didn't have any problems until Creative Compacts (aka Pro-Motion Tuning) butchered my car. I had Ptuning replace the bearings with ceramic ones and had the seals replaced too (thanks kik). I'm still using the original bracket that came with my s/c kit back in November 2005. I've put over 40k miles on my s/c without problems, and since the rebuild, I still don't have problems.

No, the s/c isn't good for drag racing. It is better suited for every day driving and autocross. It isn't that bad on road courses either, especially the more technical ones. It's all about what you're going for.

High HP numbers don't mean jack if you don't know how to use it. Also consider emissions regulations as they apply to your location. A lot of places have emissions testing, and turbos don't pass in some locations, for various reasons (not CARB exempt, open dump, removal of primary cat, etc).

Also consider maintenance costs on turbo setups (stock ECU trying to override the tune, temperature changes, elevation changes, etc). I've actually heard more problems with turbo setups than with s/c setups... (piggyback problems, blown seals on the turbo, too much pressure in the oil feed line, damaged wastegates from delivery...)

If you go with the s/c, make sure the person that's installing the kit knows what they're doing. I wonder about the people that say that they've been through 3 or more s/c's if the same dealership installed each one of them. Flaw in design, or installer error? I'm on the same s/c, over 70k on the ODO, over 50k miles s/c'ed, and the only issue was when I let Creative Compacts do work on my car.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you better save another $900 to rebuild the SC when the bearing break down.
I also have it rebuild by Ptuning.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, my parents are pretty cool, they actually drive cars much faster then my tc. but i kinda figured that i'm old enough to do things for myself, and stopped accepting their handouts. gifts for christmas are great, and my dad still asks me for a freaking letter to santa for xmas, but i kinda figured that asking for a few grand for a supercharger is alittle much.

anyway, as for the supercharger, get it new in box from sparks like you plan. but get it installed by a toyota dealership with a good tech who has installed several of them. the tech at my dealership is fantastic, and did a great job installing mine, no problems and i've been boosted and autocrossing for over ten thousand miles.

as for breaking it in, all i did was keep the rpms low for the first 500 miles after installation, then, the next 500 miles, i would slowly let my rpms build in 1st and 2nd gear to redline to make sure everything was working good at higher engine speeds, for a while, i only occasionally hit boost, just getting used to the feelings and the noises it would make. and now, i use it when i can, but there aren't many chances to use it on my way to work.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

i would go wit the bosch 110. i have one and it leaks boost bad. thats cool that ur getting one but yeah just be careful on it. i just had my bearings replace by kik himself and it was only 450 for everything including shipping.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm @ 29K on the ODO but I'm, going to have it installed by the dealer here in Cincy.. this tech guy has done around 8 or 9 s/c tc's.. but I guess I'll baby her at first definitely I dont want anything going wrong.. is the BPV hard to get off or change out ? I'm askin cause I wanna get the Bosch 110 BPV.. are there any Scion TSB's on the s/c as far as bearings or anything ?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

its not hard to change out the bpv just need to take off the air filter box and the tubing from the throttle body and its right there. well thats how it is on the 08
Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i literally just swapped mine for the one in the kit, they are nearly identical, cept they saw 102 and 110 in very tiny writing on them. so if you do that, the tech will probably never notice the difference.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thanks drax im going to do that the same time as the s/c and just put it in the baggie or box or whatever
Old 10-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Don't bother with the S/C just go turbo.....Im telling you from experience.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would but, I need reliablity and a warranty... besides I already have a turboed 2.2 L 146 HP & 168 lb ft trq 1985 chrysler new yorker w/ 9 lbs of boost ... I just str8 wikipedia-ed that.. I need to add a S/C 'ed tC my F-I family LMAO
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is really no good reaseon to buy the s/c kit besides that it is cheaper than a turbo kit for the warranty part the s/c is not coverd buy toyotas power train warranty it is still considerd an after market part and is only warranty by trd witch is 12 mon./ 12,000 miles but most pepole but between 14,000 -20,000 miles on a car in 12 mon. time so you dont get much of a warranty from the start but it dose not void the power train part of the warranty and keep in mind that most low boosted turbo cars last well over 60,000 miles and to add to the fact that becouse of the s/c beraing being crap turbo tc's can bee more reliable these are good reasons not to get s/c kit but for you to go turbo i myself was in your shoes in mid march and i took the s/c route i brought the kit my self from trdsparks and my parents paid for install now they are siting back saying i told you so.... know im on my own to get it fixed and its been 3 weeks scince i drove my car i just ordered the rebuild kit becouse trd will not warranty my s/c becouse i have 14,000+ miles on it
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by streettimetc
there is really no good reaseon to buy the s/c kit besides that it is cheaper than a turbo kit for the warranty part the s/c is not coverd buy toyotas power train warranty it is still considerd an after market part and is only warranty by trd witch is 12 mon./ 12,000 miles but most pepole but between 14,000 -20,000 miles on a car in 12 mon. time so you dont get much of a warranty from the start but it dose not void the power train part of the warranty and keep in mind that most low boosted turbo cars last well over 60,000 miles and to add to the fact that becouse of the s/c beraing being crap turbo tc's can bee more reliable these are good reasons not to get s/c kit but for you to go turbo i myself was in your shoes in mid march and i took the s/c route i brought the kit my self from trdsparks and my parents paid for install now they are siting back saying i told you so.... know im on my own to get it fixed and its been 3 weeks scince i drove my car i just ordered the rebuild kit becouse trd will not warranty my s/c becouse i have 14,000+ miles on it
uhhh well if toyota installs it, the warranty is good till the end of your warranty (36,000, or if you have an extended warranty, it lasts till the end of the extended warranty)
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

tell them the supercharger will help you save more gas lol..
Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol yea..more gas lol thankfully its down to $2.03 a gallon down here I think premium is like $2.25
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even if toyota does the install it is not cover under the power trian warranty toyota submits all the info to trd and trd says ya or na im going through all of this right know and for the gas mine whent down from 29mpg hwy to 24mpg hwy do tothe fact of bigger injectors from the kit and trds pig rich reflash

Quick Reply: Need GOOD Reasons for TRD S/C