Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need help major white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM

funny, (not really) i just encountered the same problem. i noticed that there was some smoke comming from the turbo so i took it out to look at it and there is a blown seal. there is also some i noticed some play one the wheels.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM

canadian48205 did you still have your warranty when they sent you a new turbo? cause mine ran out and if i do have to pay for a new one i am debaiting on not going with turbonetics.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Yes they are iridium.
My AFR's idling are still as they were before the trouble between 14.6-15.5 and driving in vacuum about the same...

Chris question, the parts that we discussed do they have to be resurfaced, balanced and/or any other special treatment before putting the engine back together ?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

All right guys, here are the news, i went to the shop and showed them the car.
They looked , listened, i showed them all the symprotms i had in mind and they declined each one of them.

Plus it was NOT smoking on idle and when we revved it and revved several times all we saw was little of black smoke which is fuel as far as i know and its normal especially when i have only 1 cat and the car is not tuned properly.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

thats good news bro....too bad im not as lucky....luls
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
Yes they are iridium.
My AFR's idling are still as they were before the trouble between 14.6-15.5 and driving in vacuum about the same...

Chris question, the parts that we discussed do they have to be resurfaced, balanced and/or any other special treatment before putting the engine back together ?
well depending on the wear on the crank and if anything needs to be milled. I wouldn't think so unless there is more damage than you know. other wise for just a simple build it should be bolt and go so to speak....to be able to balance everything would be great but it sounded like you didn't have the molla for all that. But if you do want to go that route i would suggest a built block from erl, p-tunning, dezod, because after you spent all that money on parts and for me to go down there and have a shop balance your rotating assembly you might as well have gone with a built block from the aforementioned.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
Yup good news )

What do you mean you not as lucky ? what happen ?

Yeah i thought about it, bu the time everything said and it will be close..
I was more thinking of emergency put together to have us do it, but in september i'm getting delployed so i really dont wanna spend that money now since i wont be able to enjoy it..

when i come back next summer, i'm definately building the motor with Dezod and will be aiming for about 400WHP.. but thats in the future for now i'm glad everything is good and now i can go get it tuned.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
Yup good news )

What do you mean you not as lucky ? what happen ?

Yeah i thought about it, bu the time everything said and it will be close..
I was more thinking of emergency put together to have us do it, but in september i'm getting delployed so i really dont wanna spend that money now since i wont be able to enjoy it..

when i come back next summer, i'm definately building the motor with Dezod and will be aiming for about 400WHP.. but thats in the future for now i'm glad everything is good and now i can go get it tuned.
good luck mang, hope everything go's good for ya.

I found that iv got a little blowby, not too bad like im smoking out the tail pipe but iv got a little smoke comeing out of the valve cover vent and it smells like exhoust...so yeah ima take it easy for a while.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

ohh man that sucks..

well you not boosted anymore if you still has warranty, maybe you can take it back to the dealer, lol...

yeah i would love to have AWD platform or RWD.. who knows maybe in few years i'll get an evo or STI.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

nah ill be honest about it all....i mean i did it and im not going to make some one els pay for it, ya know.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah i got ya, lol i know some ppl i think someone on scionlife did it here..not sure thou, but i heard about it somewhere...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

quick question, a little off-topic.
I bought a magnaflow muffler which i thought was a great deal 63 shipped.
when i got it, i showed it and the ship, and guys there said i bought high class glass pack.
i'm building a 3'' s-pipe back exhaust with magnaflow high-flow cat and muffler ( which turned out to be glasspack type of muffler, which is basically straight thru, ) i looked at it at first, and i was like damn thats gonnabe cool exhaust will go straight thru it sweet... and then they said its going to be really loud.

what do you guys think of this set up ?
magnaflow high-flow cat and exhaust ( glasspack style) and thermar research and development tip.

i'm getting it built this week before i go get tuned.
i provide those 3 things and the shop will charge me for the rest , bending, welding putting it on and all that stuff $200.

how is that price guys ? and what do you think its going to sound like ? ____ or decent ?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crush - so what happened with your car?? Any idea on the cause? bad tune?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

idk, so far thats the first i have heard of using a glass pack...i would imagine it would be loud...lol

now iv heard of using a resonator (ar25 i think) which is pretty much a glass pack but they are almost always coupled with a standard muffler....now that i think about it my injen axle back was a flow through muffler not much different from a glass pack, i loved that exhoust. the drone was bearable and sounded sweet on wot. idle was just a great purrr....damnit now i want my injen back....lol
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
crush - so what happened with your car?? Any idea on the cause? bad tune?
not real sure, i was having some fueling issues but had thought that is more of an exhoust leak throwing my wideband off a little on wot. it almost feelt like i had lost my vac source to everything for a second...the tune was aggresive but imho it was still in the safety zone. I give up trying to figure everything out....lol
Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Crush are you ever going to boost the tC again or later on trade for boosted by factory ?

Well, i guess i'll be the first one here with glass pack exhaust, lol.. if its going to be way too loud i'll add a resonator to it or something...
people say turbo should quiet it dow a little bit and i think high flow cat maybe will as well..
well, i hope it doesnt sound like raspy civic then...
If it sounds like a subaru STI then it would be great, lol..
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Crush are you ever going to boost the tC again or later on trade for boosted by factory ?

Well, i guess i'll be the first one here with glass pack exhaust, lol.. if its going to be way too loud i'll add a resonator to it or something...
people say turbo should quiet it dow a little bit and i think high flow cat maybe will as well..
well, i hope it doesnt sound like raspy civic then...
If it sounds like a subaru STI then it would be great, lol..
ya know i really cant say, who knows what will happen. same goes for your exhoust plans
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

haha you are right about one thing.....

my exhaust...who knows what will happen , lol

well i'll tell you this.. my high flow cat should be here today..
so basically by friday everything will be on probably except the tip which i will get later on. ( tip is for looks anyway right )

so on friday if tis ready and hopefully it is, i will do a sound clip.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My exhaust consists of two glasspacks (24" long ea) dumped right before the fuel tank Its loud but not too bad And this is n/a by the way - once i have it boosted again i expect it to be quite a bit quieter.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
My exhaust consists of two glasspacks (24" long ea) dumped right before the fuel tank Its loud but not too bad And this is n/a by the way - once i have it boosted again i expect it to be quite a bit quieter.
hows the tone? deep or high? is ther alot of poping?

Quick Reply: Need help major white smoke