Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need help making a decision...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help making a decision...

I'm sure there's been threads like this, and some of you may even be rolling your eyes as you read this... but I'm having a hard time making a decision... (and I'd rather do my research before jumping into something and regretting it later), just want to weigh the pros and cons of each different application before deciding...

This is the first car I've ever had PERIOD with a warranty. So, I do dig the warranty idea... and I'm getting wayyyy better gas milage than I ever got with my old Sunfire.

I grew up around domestics, so foreign cars are... well foreign to me.

So... I've already done the body kit thing and custom paint job before on my Sunfire (and have found since, that I really enjoy being able to go over speed bumps... I have pics if wanted)... so I've been thinking about boost.

Now, from what I've read, for the money... turbos are wayyy more efficient power wise than s/c's. But, you lose your warranty.

I've seen some nice turbo kits, and really really like them. So I would like to know from all of you and all various turbo and s/c kits the following:

1. What is your gas milage like?
2. What issues/problems have you had with your setup?
3. What are you putting down power wise (dyno if possible and 1/4 mile times)
4. Is there a kit out there that will put down some nice power, and not totally kill you on gas milage? (I do realize you're not going to get stock gas milage with boost)
5. What would you recommend, if I went turbo, as far as a kit with decent power, and still keeps your car fairly reliable?
6. What would you recommend as far as, if my goal was 250 whp-ish, to do to keep the car reliable and get the best possible gas milage at the same time?

Now as far as my driving habits, I don't beat the crap out of my car. I drive sensibly, and wouldn't be out there day after day putting the pedal to the floor just because. (Those of you who will say "trust me, once you get boost, it's nearly impossible to keep off the throttle"... I've driven boosted cars before, I can control myself).

I grew up around big blocks/cars with whole motors (i.e. V8's). I want something, where if I want to put the pedal to the floor and have a ton of fun (and half scaring myself to death), but can also drive normally when just commuting back and forth to work, or cruising down the highway at regular speeds.

And also, PA does have yearly emissions, so totally losing the CAT is not an option... what should I do about that? Just trying to gather as much info as possible and weigh all the pros and cons before making a final decision.

All your insight and help is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be like me and get a greddy kit. I dont want to be the only one. As for inspections, I can help you out.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please?? anyone else?? hehe
Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK peoples... so far, I'm leaning towards the ZPI kit... going between the stage 0 and stage 1.

I would still like to hear you guys' input on the kits you've gotten, any issues, suggestions, etc... ZPI or not.

ing I can cash in my extended warranty since if I go turbo, I won't need it
Old 08-30-2006, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

Wait till Friday before you do anything.....
Lets just say a new turbo kit should be out and the manifold is tubular.....
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fairladyz541
Wait till Friday before you do anything.....
Lets just say a new turbo kit should be out and the manifold is tubular.....
ZPI? Or someone else? (btw, it'll be a little bit,... I figured I'd gather reviews and info beforehand, weigh my options before making a decision... plus have to come up with the cash lol)
Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

No not ZPI, this kit will most likley produce the most HP for your money......
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fairladyz541
No not ZPI, this kit will most likley produce the most HP for your money......
Well who'll be putting it out so I can keep an eye out for it?? ;)
Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have the supercharger with 9.5PSI pulley. here are my answers in black.

1. What is your gas milage like?
My gas milage has dropped slightly. about 1-2 MPG with the supercharger on the highway. Local about the same. I have a thread on it with all my gas stats here: http://forums.scionzone.com/smf/index.php?topic=1384.0
2. What issues/problems have you had with your setup?
No issues at all. It starts every morning and makes trips up to PA often and have zero issues.
3. What are you putting down power wise (dyno if possible and 1/4 mile times)
I put down 227WHP and a 14.781 at 98MPH. But the best proof I have as in terms of on Paper is 209 WHP and a 14.932. I cant find the dyno slip and time slip for the better numbers so that arent official. Time slips in this thread: http://forums.scionzone.com/smf/index.php?topic=1306.0
Dyno in this thread: http://forums.scionzone.com/smf/index.php?topic=1282.0

4. Is there a kit out there that will put down some nice power, and not totally kill you on gas milage? (I do realize you're not going to get stock gas milage with boost)
You can get stock gas milage or close. You are only in boost when you want to be. So its all dependant on how you drive. I can drive all day and never boost if I want.
6. What would you recommend as far as, if my goal was 250 whp-ish, to do to keep the car reliable and get the best possible gas milage at the same time?
I would reccomend going turbo if you want 250WHP. its possible for the supercharger, but it puts a question on the whole, not worrying about will it start in the morning. Not saying kytc has problems, but I know I would worry more with more upgrades.

Hope that helps in the decision.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Turbonetics Kit and here goes:

1. I get 25-27mpg when I'm not on boost. Boost is another story

2. No issues thus far but if there were any, Turbonetics has an unprecedented 1 year no hassle/no fault warranty. You break it racing, going to school or installing it, they'll cover it, no questions.

3. I put down 241whp with a completely stock exhaust. No 1/4 mile times but I get 1/8 mile slips saying I'm going 9.19 @ 82mph.

4. see question # 1

5. of course I am biased to a Turbonetics kit but any kit that is not pushing the envelope will give you good reliability.

6. 250whp is what you want, go with a turbo set up. All you need to do is add an exhaust to a Turbonetics kit and you have over 260whp!

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZPIracing home of the fastest baddest Scions for the longest amount of time. Enough said!!!!

Well that may be a little to cocky, we have a great product and now we have great shipping. Where can you lose. Not at the race track against any other bolt on tC turbo kit that is for sure!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
ZPIracing home of the fastest baddest Scions for the longest amount of time. Enough said!!!!

Well that may be a little to cocky, we have a great product and now we have great shipping. Where can you lose. Not at the race track against any other bolt on tC turbo kit that is for sure!
Hehe... I called and spoke with Kenny the other day (the girl from Pennsyltucky... er Pennsylvania that asked a ton of questions and said if I go ZPI I'm comming to Kentucky for the install )

Excellent responses thus far, keep 'em comming if possible!