Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need a makeover...lil help...please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Default Need a makeover...lil help...please!!

Ok guys, I just registered to this site today and honestly it is my first time browsing through it. Anyway, I have an '06 tC and I am looking to do a crapload of mods and I want to get the most HP for the buck...I'm sure you know what I mean. Any suggestions on the best turbo/clutch/exhaust/etc? Mainly I want to start on the turbo first, and everything that I need w/that. I want to focus more on HP than the saving $ side of things, although I don't want to spend $20,000...maybe 8-10K. At the moment the car is COMPLETELY stock (5 speed) so I have a lot to work with and, needless to say, A LOT of work ahead of me. I'm sure there are many knowledgable people here that could help me on this issue so...PLEASE HELP!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You posted this on Yoursciontc.com too ..

Welcome to the board.. you'll find a lot more activity on this one.

However, just as someone suggested on YourScionTC.com, you should search first.

Try browsing through the different forums and categories. You'll find a wealth of information just on the first few pages of each. And if that's not enough - the SEARCH feature really helps.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing as you said you wanted to spend 8-10k on the car I HIGHLY suggest not getting anything for your car until you are ready to buy a bolt on turbo kit.

any from Dezod or Turbo toyotas will be worth it, and spend the remaining money on tuning and a new clutch and you will be more than happy. and you'll have a couple grand left over and will be smoking evo's sti's g's and z's all day every day. its a great world to be in lol
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I had 10 grand to spend...I would build the motor, which from what I've seen it should run you around 7 grand depending on having all the work done and who its done by and stuff unless u know how to do it yourself it will save you mucho $ it might be more than 7 though and then you can spend 3 grand on a turbo and you might b a little over 10 g's but if you can squeeze somewhere around 11-12 grand (It sounds easier than it is) you can have a fully built motor awesome dezod or turbo toyotas turbo kit have an upgraded clutch and a decent amount of money to have some fine tuning done, and then the car will be an animal!!! But that's what I would do :p
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

^^^ nice plan their...out of curiosity is it possible to build a bullet proof engine?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

he posted this on clubsciontc too. exact same post.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jotech is offering a fully built motor for 5k. If you dont know Jotech find out dammit!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a rip-off...

Try this http://www.scion-parts.com/store.html
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 AM

I did post this on several forums, 4 actually. I want to get as much advice as possible before making a decision and who better to ask than other tC owners right? But thank you all so much for your advice so far. I'm really looking to start w/the turbo and more specifically the most powerful turbo out there at the moment...
However I will check out the pros/cons of building a motor. Once again, thx.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get your suspension out of the way. Springs, struts, sticky tires, rear and/or front sways, etc.
What good is it to have all that hp if your tC can't stick on the road?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well he would need an LSD
Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, what do you want your car setup for? It looks to me you want it setup for straight line racing... First, I would find the kit that is right to you. Some have advantages over others and vica vi. TurboToyota's has a great manifold and setup, Dezod also has a great setup and has shown that they have great quality and great customer service. If you want your kit soon, you might want to talk to dezod, as TT is experiencing growing pains. As for exhaust, go with ptuning, you wont regret it!!! 3" all the way back would be the best IMO. Have fun searching... and if you are looking for a specific turbo that will make the "most" power, then if I were you get a simple t3/t4 turbo, and spend the good money on a tune. The tune is where its at... you could have the best components in the world but without a tune you could have the lowest hp numbers...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM

First of all, you guys are great! I'm not getting much help from the other forums...

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
First, what do you want your car setup for? It looks to me you want it setup for straight line racing... First, I would find the kit that is right to you. Some have advantages over others and vica vi. TurboToyota's has a great manifold and setup, Dezod also has a great setup and has shown that they have great quality and great customer service. If you want your kit soon, you might want to talk to dezod, as TT is experiencing growing pains. As for exhaust, go with ptuning, you wont regret it!!! 3" all the way back would be the best IMO. Have fun searching... and if you are looking for a specific turbo that will make the "most" power, then if I were you get a simple t3/t4 turbo, and spend the good money on a tune. The tune is where its at... you could have the best components in the world but without a tune you could have the lowest hp numbers...
You're correct, I do want it setup mainly for straight line racing. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by TT is experiencing growing pains. I do want 3" all the way back and I've only heard good things about ptuning. I do understand your point about the tuning but I am looking for a specific turbo that will make the most power. Is there a more powerful turbo that I could tune just as well as a t3/t4?

I really want to end up w/about 350-400HP. Is this possible w/out building a motor or a custom turbo? If so, that is the route I want to take.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

madness - I totally understand you're new to all this. So that being said, and by judging on your posts, you should REALLY research turbocharging in general. Not just Scion specific.. but learn about how a turbocharger system works.

Once you gain a little more knowledge, you can start searching here for various manufactures of turbo kits. Each one is different in their own little way.. but with your (hopefully) new found knowledge in turbo systems, you can decide for yourself which kit you'd want to go with.

I would start with a book called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. This book has been around for a long while - but it's still a must read for anyone who wants to know more about turbocharging a vehicle.

Please please please educate yourself first.