Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

new clutch in, but a hitch...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new clutch in, but a hitch...

well... went to the dealer today, expecting my new clutch (comp clutch stage 2) to be good to go. it was, but the engagement point is literally 0.25 inches - perhaps less - off the floor. it is very difficult to drive like this, so I was wondering if this is normal, or indicative of either a need for some kind of pedal adjustment or perhaps a problem with the clutch slave cylinder.

the dealer is checking it out some more, but I was hoping to get some further insight, as searching the forums has not yielded an exact match to this issue.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They need to adjust the clutch pedal, should be done after any clutch job. There own instructions tell them to also, we did my clutch right off the toyota pages and it says to adjust it.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

how do you adjust it?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont remember off the top of my head and I dont have the instructions anymore. this was about a year ago we did mine. But I do know it has to be done, the travel of each cluch and pressure plate is different.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might be that the clutch line needs to be bled. when my clutch was installed, it has this problem, but the actual issue was that the clutchline had a bubble in it, so it just had no pressure.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm it is a racing clutch and they do engage much faster.. the pedal should also be much stiffer.. keep that in mind
Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it isnt the rapidity of engagement that is the problem - I took it for a run around the block and found it more than acceptable in that respect... I have no problem with easing into it. the problem is that I have to literally try to put it thru the floor to disengage the clutch, and then keep the pedal mashed to the floor as hard as possible during the shift lest it try to grab.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

like some had said, bleed the clutch.. sounds like air in the line to me
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deff Air in the line! Bleed it again and again! I did it about 6 times untill mine was perfect. Ive done about 5 clutches in Tc's
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

at what point does air get into the line? do you guys disconnect the slave cylinder at any point?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will get used to it, my stg 3 is like that, after driving a stock clutch for so long and now going to a race clutch it feels alot lower.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ No way.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya im thinking it shouldnt feel any lower than normal.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
I dont remember off the top of my head and I dont have the instructions anymore. this was about a year ago we did mine. But I do know it has to be done, the travel of each cluch and pressure plate is different.
Originally Posted by rozz-tC
They need to adjust the clutch pedal, should be done after any clutch job. There own instructions tell them to also, we did my clutch right off the toyota pages and it says to adjust it.
both posts above are 100% correct

Originally Posted by Crippie
how do you adjust it?
I know how to adjust it denny.. if u need help LMK...

Originally Posted by Crippie
at what point does air get into the line? do you guys disconnect the slave cylinder at any point?
EXACTLY.. ON A PROPER INSTALL... you do not need to disconnect the clutch lines on this car to redo the clutch... HOW can air go into sealed lines... ANYONE who says bleed the clutch for this car is dead wrong since there it no way air goes into the lines since you are not disconnecting any of it from the actual cylinder...

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
Deff Air in the line! Bleed it again and again! I did it about 6 times untill mine was perfect. Ive done about 5 clutches in Tc's
FALSE on both read above

*************** FOR THE OP AND ALL WHO READ THIS ********

after you install your clutch or any agressive clutch especially on this car you WILL notice the engagement point go down to the floor as stated by the OP. this is normal and clutch pedal adjustments need to be made in order to make it smoother for the driver and help the clutch last longer during the break in period

TO ADJUST THE PEDAL DO THIS.

1. remove the spring behind the clutch pedal on both the pedal and the firewall ( its the only gray spring there and its what provides tension on the clutch. you can use your fingers but i always use a screw driver (flat head) to pop it off with ease

2. locate the gold push rod that goes directly horizonally behind the pedal. there you will follow the rod inward towards the cabin and find a 12mm tension bolt followed by a gold 1" long cyclinder. *use a flash light if u cant see under your car depending on the lighting*

3. take a 12mm wrench and loosen the 12mm bolt (turning down to loosen it)

4. now that you have cracked the 12mm nut GENTLY apply some pressure to the pedal with one hand and with the other hand GENTLY turn the gold pushrod in the same direction as you did to loosen the pedal. you will notice what you are doing is now expanding the distance between the pushrods original point and inscreasing the distance. THIS will adjust the pedal so it engages HIGHER and not so close to the floor.

5. You should use small 1/2 cycle to 1 full turn in increments to correctly adjust the pedal to YOUR desired engagement point. once you have adjusted the rod grab your 12mm open end wrench and tighten the nut again. then attached the spring again on the pedal and fire wall holes

6. test your engagement on the clutch by going into reverse and / 1st gear.. you will notice the engagement (if you did it right) has now become higher up on the pedal.

7. if you do not like the engagement point repeat the steps over by loosening the 12mm nut and adjusting the rod to a new position until you find an engagement point that you like and that you can drive with comfortably!!

8. ONCE you have found your own sweet spot give the 12mm a nice tight turn and your done.

AND THAT IS HOW YOU CORRECTLY DO IT!!

*** OP ***

if you want me to help you out since your local to me in south florida hit me up and ill be glad to help ya out... BUT the dealership techs should be able to adjust it for you if they follow the shop manual.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
EXACTLY.. ON A PROPER INSTALL... you do not need to disconnect the clutch lines on this car to redo the clutch... HOW can air go into sealed lines... ANYONE who says bleed the clutch for this car is dead wrong since there it no way air goes into the lines since you are not disconnecting any of it from the actual cylinder...

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
FALSE on both read above
Not false if it wasn't a proper install.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^+1 I was about to say.

I've changed my tranny twice, and have changed clutches 3 times in my tC alone, and a couple of times on my boys tC's.

Not ONCE have I ever bleed the clutch line. To be honest, I've never even adjusted the clutch pedal. I run a Stg 4.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^+1 I was about to say.

I've changed my tranny twice, and have changed clutches 3 times in my tC alone, and a couple of times on my boys tC's.

Not ONCE have I ever bleed the clutch line. To be honest, I've never even adjusted the clutch pedal. I run a Stg 4.
Which stage 4 do you have? I'm getting a CM sprung stage 4 and CM 11lb flywheel installed next weekend, just curious on how much different the pedal feel is.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^+1 I was about to say.

Which stage 4 do you have? I'm getting a CM sprung stage 4 and CM 11lb flywheel installed next weekend, just curious on how much different the pedal feel is.
I have a CC. Can't remember if it's sprung (I think it is). It engages pretty quick. Soon as I start lifting my foot, it's there ready to grab.

Traffic = Dead LEG! The worst I have taken this clutch through was when I signed up with my crew to be in a small town Parade. Stop and Go ever half inch....lets just say my leg was in limp mode when I got of the car, and I vowed to never put my car in a parade ever again.

I probably could adjust the clutch pedal for more comfort, but I actually like it engaging as soon as I lift. My work schedule and destinations allow me to avoid traffic though....
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also have the cc4 with ccFW 12 lb..i liked the quick grab but wanted a tad more freedom so i punched it up a bit and now its sweet =)

LOL 2 carbons 1st post up in here lol
Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the Flywheel also.

Quick Reply: new clutch in, but a hitch...