Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New Exhaust Coming! Video pg 3...pics will be added later.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KJIN
2.5 only, i hope you didn't pay too much. did they make a long one piece mid pipe or two piece?
I don't pay much at all the Sound Performance is my sponser. They are making the s-pipe and 1 piece mid pipe. The pipes will be able to connect to any axle back on the market.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Doesn't HKS sell a 2.5 inch carbon ti exhaust, why not just get that instead of the turbo exhaust?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
2.5 only, i hope you didn't pay too much. did they make a long one piece mid pipe or two piece?
I don't pay much at all the Sound Performance is my sponser. They are making the s-pipe and 1 piece mid pipe. The pipes will be able to connect to any axle back on the market.

1 piece mid pipe is good. well, i was hoping that they can make a 3" for you so i can ask them to make one for me too.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did u try cutting the pipe thats attached to the muffler? it might give you a little more leeway. thats what they did to mine to make mine fit, but then again mine is the smaller version.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tChui
did u try cutting the pipe thats attached to the muffler? it might give you a little more leeway. thats what they did to mine to make mine fit, but then again mine is the smaller version.
Yeah we thought about it but bkuz the version i have is still to long that it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Also where i live i have a lot of messed of railroad crossing so i know i would either have to go 2mphs over it or make sparks everytime i cross them. Not to mention the bad @$$ potholes in CHICAGO.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC

1 piece mid pipe is good. well, i was hoping that they can make a 3" for you so i can ask them to make one for me too.
They can still make a 3 in if you want. Just call them up. They just needed my car to mach everything up all they would have to do is us 3 in pipe.

630-893-5002

Tell them i sent you!!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as I still get my 3" I'll be happy. Scrapping will more than likely happen anyway but anything that can be done to raise it more than an 1" off the ground can always help. I could put super swampers on the car and not have clearance problems at all J/K shish, I am from the south but that's just absurd
Old 06-16-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

None of you have any need for a 3" pipe, I hope you know that, if not then you need to study more about real performance instead of bling wanna be pretender performance.

Sorry to be so mean but come on guys, make your cars real, not ricer trash.

Rick
Old 06-16-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Raam's right...

2.5" can handle upwards of 500whp if set up correctly. We use a 2.5" turbo exhaust setup on our car and have no plans of upgrading it soon. The larger diameter exhaust will yeild a stronger cooling effect for the amount of exhaust that our lower boost small displacement engines put out. Cooler air is more dense. This creates turbulence which is the exact opposite of what you want going on with a turbo system.

2.5" is great, you didn't make any sacrafices. You're car will be a little more quiet, and weigh less!

BTW - It was me that said I doubt the HKS would fit. I wish it did, because I loved that exhaust. The only barrel large diameter exhaust that I've seen fit was the Blitz Nur-Spec exhaust. I had that installed before and I loved it.

GL with your new setup.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
None of you have any need for a 3" pipe, I hope you know that, if not then you need to study more about real performance instead of bling wanna be pretender performance.

Sorry to be so mean but come on guys, make your cars real, not ricer trash.

Rick
ok lets get this straight. you are saying that on a FI vehicle going from 2.5" to 3" will yield no HP gain???? Hmmm, i've seen and witness many dynos that will prove your rice hating theory wrong.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So have I, adding a 3" exhaust to a Turbocharged vehicle will yeild gains.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when the 3" exhaust was added...

what kind of car, turbo, boost...

was the upgrade from stock or crappy piping?

A GOOD 2.5" exhaust that's engineered properly will yield significant gains to stock. I don't see adding a 3" making much more power at all from that point. From a crappy or stock exhaust, yes it will make a difference. On a 12+ psi car, yes it will make a difference. But not for most of our turbo setups out there.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appologize for coming across so harshly, I have been working far to many hours a day lately.

To big an exhuast, even on a turbo car, will slow down the flow and can even reduce power output.

One very often, far too often really, overlooked bit of info is where any real power gains occur. Many times it is more a power shift, giving away some here to gain more their, usually losing on the bottom end or midrange where a car on the street needs it the most.

A moderately boosted 2.4 like ours with stock compression ratio, etc, will not gain from a bigger pipe, mainly you will make more noise and carry around more weight, neither of which will make the car faster, just your imagination if you so believe.

My "rice hating theory" is not correct Sir, it is "rice hating reality" based on what works on a given setup not a general assumption that one part fits all and makes if faster.

If that were the case we could bolt on all kinds of bigger parts and be faster, does not work that way, everything needs to be in balance.

The best exhaust for a turbo is no exhaust, granted, that is not the same as a 14ft piece of pipe winding it's way to the back of your car.

Yes, adding a 3" exhaust will add gains, on the right vehicle, not on all of them;)

If someone believes otherwise thery are not as informed as they think they are so I advise that some serious study be conducted before making general assumptions.

My reason for posting on this thread? I hope it opens a few eyes to the real world of performance, much of which is masked over with marketing hype and pipe dreams.

Rick
Old 06-16-2006, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
when the 3" exhaust was added...

what kind of car, turbo, boost...

was the upgrade from stock or crappy piping?

A GOOD 2.5" exhaust that's engineered properly will yield significant gains to stock. I don't see adding a 3" making much more power at all from that point. From a crappy or stock exhaust, yes it will make a difference. On a 12+ psi car, yes it will make a difference. But not for most of our turbo setups out there.
you're building turbo kit and you don't believe in 3" piping? 8psi or 10psi you will see gains going from 2.5" to 3".

Just because 2.5" pipe are rated to be good for 500HP doesn't mean it will give you the maximum gain.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many turbo kits have you built for a Scion tc? Any? ok, how many turbo kits have you built, period and what on?

As added to my last post,, if any real gains, where did they occur, at the max end of the rev range, give up any down low, etc, etc????

OK, maximum gain, tell us what that is good for besides dyno queen bragging rights. Build a car for real world driving and go have fun, leave the dyno queens on the trailer where they belong.

Rick
Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Bigger is not always better" - Corkey Bell - Maximum Boost
Old 06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
How many turbo kits have you built for a Scion tc? Any? ok, how many turbo kits have you built, period and what on?

As added to my last post,, if any real gains, where did they occur, at the max end of the rev range, give up any down low, etc, etc????

OK, maximum gain, tell us what that is good for besides dyno queen bragging rights. Build a car for real world driving and go have fun, leave the dyno queens on the trailer where they belong.

Rick
wow, someone is on a major PMS. you want to get techincal, if i can find some old dyno chart then i'll be more then happy to post it.

is it so rice to have a well design 3" exhaust system on a daily driven FI vehicle? SP is a company with good back ground so i would assume that they will be able to fab up a pretty nice 3" exhaust system.

i don't need to compare kocks with you anymore. this thread is going south and i apologize to the thread creator.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey everyone.......chill!

I originally wanted a 3' exhaust bkuz even though i do know that it isn't necessary but it seemed to be better for what i plan on doing for my car in the future.

I plan on going all out with internals and all and making somewhere around 500whp if no more. I know that with how much boost i will be pushing it will help a little more than a 2.5' pipe, but like RAM said i will lose some low end power but i dont mind.

Anyway thanks for the info RAAM and Dezod.

Can't wait to see what kind of gains i get out of my exhaust. I hope SP will have time to dyno it. They said they might not be able to only bkuz they have about 10 supras waiting to get work done. We'll see though, i will at the list put up videos and pics.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, to get the thread back on topic, This is about Sound Performance making a 3" exhaust FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT. This is not a topic about Sound Performance making a 3" exhaust and what is your opinion. Too many topics have gone bad and haven't made it past two pages of posts before someone applied opinion and ruined it for everyone. SO, when the exhaust is completed, I or some other buyer of the exhaust will post images and will then ask for opinions, even though it will end up in a ____ing contest over flow and rice and power.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We weren't just stating an opinion on 3" exhausts, we were saying that it wasn't neccessary for most applications. For the HP levels he wants, yes a 3" would help out...

After he said he got 2.5" instead, we said it was a good thing and that he's not missing much by not having the 3". Either way, the exhaust will help, both sound and performance.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Coming! Video pg 3...pics will be added later.