Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New Forced Induction Clutches are here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No word on that plastic today.....maybe tomorrow
Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
No word on that plastic today.....maybe tomorrow

Baaaaaddddd boy
Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Correct. Much firmer pedal, meaning more muscle to depress the clutch. It will also start grabbing much sooner when you first take the pedal off the floor.

I've been racing my ACT street clutch for about a year and it's approaching the time where I'm considering a new one.

I have knee problems ...which Im going to have to go to the Dr for. I want to have a 300whp tC within the next few years. What do you think is the best clutch for my hp level? The torque level would be 270max because im s/c'rgd. Even if i had 320whp that should give me 270torque about.
I'd say either the Competition Clutch Stage 2 or the ACT Street. The ACT is proven to hold over 2.5 times the wheel torque as stcok, and I've been doing that kind of abuse for a year now. As for firmness, the ACT will be slightly more firm, but the pain you feel is usally in the calf or ankle, and that's if any. It's not as bad as one would think you just get used to it over a small time span.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ yikes - sounds like ...nomatter what ... its going to put more strain on my leg. I should have gone to the dr 7months ago but we all know how that goes. What are the real differences between the competition and the act .... you would assume there would be a difference if you sell both.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by mikescion
there from the makers of clutch masters.... alil birdy from a part of SEMA told me.. should be a great product
I don't know about that. The clutches have distinct differences.

Notice the different rivet count in the disc and slightly different pressure plate design too.
Yeah there are some things different about the CM stage 3. Very close in design it looks like but they dont look the same at all.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have experience with Clutchmasters, want to compare?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke had one i believ
Old 10-21-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Anyone have experience with Clutchmasters, want to compare?

thats just the thing - i don't know enough about clutches to comment. I also wish people would just vent on what they know - what they hear - what a bird told them ...whatever can be said ....said.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still torn about which clutch to get jwaggz???
Old 10-21-2006, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Originally Posted by paul_dezod

AND PAUL has YOU covered hardcore!
Tempting sig qoute right there. You need a clutch? PAUL has YOU covered hardcore! You need a Turbo?PAUL has YOU covered hardcore! etc...
Do it man, lol
Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't trust rhythmnsmoke's account on the Clutchmaster since he started putting power onto a clutch made to hold only a little bit over stock torque. I want a comparison between two like clutches.

But I imagine most clutches are good enough. They seem to be good enough that people who chose the right clutch the first time haven't had to replace their clutch with another brand's clutch.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I can't trust rhythmnsmoke's account on the Clutchmaster since he started putting power onto a clutch made to hold only a little bit over stock torque. I want a comparison between two like clutches.

But I imagine most clutches are good enough. They seem to be good enough that people who chose the right clutch the first time haven't had to replace their clutch with another brand's clutch.
Clutchmasters is good. It was just the fact that if you are planning on putting more than 250wtQ in your tC, DO NOT get a Clutchmasters Stage 1 (I got a deal on the clutch, so no worries when I destroyed it). Don't get me wrong about the manufacture of the clutch, they are TOP Notch. Just the application I was running could not hold under Drag Strip launches. Street rolls, it held every bit of the power. But from a stop at the Drag Strip, 3 runs and your toast. A Clutchmasters Stage 3 or equivalent would be what I would advise for a turbo tC.

I was going with the same brand when I went to replace the clutch by the way. But Kenny being Kenny, wanted to try a new product, and gave me a deal on it. Thus why the car is driven by a Red clutch you see ZPI offereing.

I forget that you have to explain every little detail to SL members or they will misinterpret, assume, twist, or provide inaccurate information.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a Clutch Masters stage 3 and its great. Holds like a champ and never shows signs of giving up. Ive been it for about 7,000 boosted miles and it still just as strong as day one.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
still torn about which clutch to get jwaggz???

yup - i have a few months to think it over but im a crazy planner - and would like to narrow things down so I can make the best decision possible.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you're staying below 340 wtq stick with an ACT street clutch or one of the stage 3s from CC... Both should hold you if you're not going for some crazy power and Have a slightly stiffer pedal feel... But yeah I'm like you too I know which kit that I'm going to order but I want everything done at once, I have my clutch and flywheel here. My next round of things is the EU and Injectors. Then some gauges and other misc. hardware. I try and do everything at once so that Im not tearing my car down like five times over...
Old 10-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
well if you're staying below 340 wtq stick with an ACT street clutch or one of the stage 3s from CC... Both should hold you if you're not going for some crazy power and Have a slightly stiffer pedal feel...
Pretty much. Those are equivalent full faced clutches.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Clutchmasters is good. It was just the fact that if you are planning on putting more than 250wtQ in your tC, DO NOT get a Clutchmasters Stage 1 (I got a deal on the clutch, so no worries when I destroyed it). Don't get me wrong about the manufacture of the clutch, they are TOP Notch. Just the application I was running could not hold under Drag Strip launches. Street rolls, it held every bit of the power. But from a stop at the Drag Strip, 3 runs and your toast. A Clutchmasters Stage 3 or equivalent would be what I would advise for a turbo tC.

I was going with the same brand when I went to replace the clutch by the way. But Kenny being Kenny, wanted to try a new product, and gave me a deal on it. Thus why the car is driven by a Red clutch you see ZPI offereing.

I forget that you have to explain every little detail to SL members or they will misinterpret, assume, twist, or provide inaccurate information.
Are you saying I'm twisting your words? Maybe you misread me. I can't trust your experiences with the CM clutch as a good example of how one clutch performs over another because your current clutch is designed to hold more than your stage 1 CM clutch. When I saw the pictures of the remains of your CM clutch, I was like, "dang, those suck." Then I realized it's a stage 1. Since I'm looking for something to hold a first stage turbocharged engine's power, I can't use your experience as a precedent.

Didn't mean to imply anything if you did infer anything negative.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Are you saying I'm twisting your words? Maybe you misread me. I can't trust your experiences with the CM clutch as a good example of how one clutch performs over another because your current clutch is designed to hold more than your stage 1 CM clutch. When I saw the pictures of the remains of your CM clutch, I was like, "dang, those suck." Then I realized it's a stage 1. Since I'm looking for something to hold a first stage turbocharged engine's power, I can't use your experience as a precedent.

Didn't mean to imply anything if you did infer anything negative.

Probably a misunderstanding then. I took it as you were saying that "I" thought that CM was no good. Just a heads up though, when you speak of "First stage turbochaged engine power", I hope you mean below 8 PSI of boost. As when I blew the CM Stage 1, I was only pushing 7 to 8 lbs of boost. I assume 8 PSI is generally what everyone starts with, except the ZPI Stage 0 people.

Another thing to think about, you WILL want more power in a few months. Going with the cheaper clutch from the start is only going to cost you more money/labor in the long run, as you will be taking the tranny apart again, to replace the clutch.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/\ /\ this is very true.... " one can never leave well enough alone"

Than there's my personal favorite:

"Life is like a sled dog team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes."

Opt for a beefier clutch, a little excercise when driving won't kill ya
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably a misunderstanding then. I took it as you were saying that "I" thought that CM was no good. Just a heads up though, when you speak of "First stage turbochaged engine power", I hope you mean below 8 PSI of boost. As when I blew the CM Stage 1, I was only pushing 7 to 8 lbs of boost. I assume 8 PSI is generally what everyone starts with, except the ZPI Stage 0 people.

Another thing to think about, you WILL want more power in a few months. Going with the cheaper clutch from the start is only going to cost you more money/labor in the long run, as you will be taking the tranny apart again, to replace the clutch.
Yea, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry the words didn't line up as clearly as I'd've liked the first time. I was planning on a 3rd stage clutch from the get go too so, I think we're on the same page.

Quick Reply: New Forced Induction Clutches are here!