Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

new scion, considering TRD super..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^fa sho man, damn cops...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
SL Member

now as far as warranty, does it run with my factory waranty or does the TRD have a standalone warranty? also anyone know what the terms are?

I know i cant touch the pulley, intake and such
Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

i wouldnt d0 ikt. trd is a joke. mine 4 2 weeks and it blew. i dont beat on it either. plus trd is a joke to deal with
Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by waterhurley
now as far as warranty, does it run with my factory waranty or does the TRD have a standalone warranty? also anyone know what the terms are?

I know i cant touch the pulley, intake and such
okay, there are two catagories of warranties for TRD parts, sport and off-road only.

off-road only parts have absolutely no warranty except for manufacuruing defect, like you open the box, and it is already busted up or something. but they don't have any sort of warranty once installed, like for instance, the cold air intake for the tC is off-road only, not street legal, and if you hydrolock your engine, you aren't covered.

sport parts are covered by a 1 year/12,000 mile waranty on parts alone, or if installed by a dealership, they join with the correalating toyota dealership. so for instance, the supercharger, is a sport part, it has a 1 year 12k warranty on the parts alone if you install it yourself, but if the dealership installs it brand new, then it will join your 5 year/60k warranty.

as for slow-n-low06, the first s/c kits had some issues, they got fixed, the other problems were bad installations by dealerships who didn't know what they were doing. i've had mine on since march, and already put about 5 thousand miles on it, zero issues so far.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

seen as you are in MA, i would go to Tufankshian Scion (spelling sorry)

talk to mike, they are the NRG sponsor here and they treat us all great, they will get you the best price on the unit itself and the install
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1_kLEan_tC
Well I got would get the S/C from trdsparks and have a local dealer install it. Well the S/C there is part list somewhere on F/I section..
x2
Old 05-13-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in all honesty....the turbo is prolly just as safe because vortech did a crummy job building the trd supercharger. cause i hear about all these problems and such.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC

talk to mike, they are the NRG sponsor here and they treat us all great, they will get you the best price on the unit itself and the install
naqh i would deal with balise. they are the biggest scion dealer next to BOC scion. theyre service department has a very good reputation.

the TRD kit doenst come I/C'ed does it?

draxcaliber: since you have beed the most helpful ill direct this one in your direction. my plan is to buy the kit online and have the dealer install it. after its installed what can i modify under the hood without disrupting my standard toyota waranty?[/quote]
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^No, does not come with an intercooler. If you want the effect of an intercooler, you should get a Methanol Inject. kit. And I would imagine that things like header, and exhaust would not disrupt the warranty. But an intake on the other hand might, since it has some correlation with how the S/C'er is functioning.

Be sure to get the header installed first before the S/C'er though. Makes it easier if you do it that way.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^No, does not come with an intercooler. If you want the effect of an intercooler, you should get a Methanol Inject. kit. And I would imagine that things like header, and exhaust would not disrupt the warranty. But an intake on the other hand might, since it has some correlation with how the S/C'er is functioning.

Be sure to get the header installed first before the S/C'er though. Makes it easier if you do it that way.
yeah i will. however say something were to go wrong, wouldnt i be able to just swap the stock airbox in tthen go to dealer?

and thinking about it, after S/C wont i need new e manage? and also if i were to throw an intake on, at that point would i need injectors? i would think that the car would run extremly lean
Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The S/C'er comes with it's own management in the form of a TRD reflash. However, once the reflash is done, it can't be UN-done.

So, to answer your question, no, you don't need e manage. And the S/C'er also comes with it's own injectors.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by waterhurley
Originally Posted by davedavetC

naqh i would deal with balise. they are the biggest scion dealer next to BOC scion. theyre service department has a very good reputation.

the TRD kit doenst come I/C'ed does it?

draxcaliber: since you have beed the most helpful ill direct this one in your direction. my plan is to buy the kit online and have the dealer install it. after its installed what can i modify under the hood without disrupting my standard toyota waranty?
[/quote]

yes they might be the largest, but Tufanksian has special pricing for Scion owners in MA, i would seriously think about giving them a call and save yourself some money and heartache
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the s/c
get a header
and the p tuning header back exhaust..

i believe this is the 3 thing what you can get without voiding the warranty plus it will give u the most hp...
after 30 k u could put an nst 9 psi pulley on it.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
get the s/c
get a header
and the p tuning header back exhaust..

i believe this is the 3 thing what you can get without voiding the warranty plus it will give u the most hp...
after 30 k u could put an nst 9 psi pulley on it.
this has nothing to do with my bitterness with p-tuning, but if you do a header, get some custom exhaust work done to reduce the rasp and exhaust noise, it gets insane. i have weapon r header and just trd exhaust, and it gets annoying.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Scion Kreationz
SL Member

due supercharge is way more expensive i seen ppl selling used s/c kits for like 1500 or even as low as 1000 if u have the money and wanna waste it and risk blowing the 2.4l engine go turbo but i prrefer s/c even if it is less hp..

and plus have installed by dealer and comes with warranty ...

what turbo comes with that
Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by lopeztc
due supercharge is way more expensive i seen ppl selling used s/c kits for like 1500 or even as low as 1000 if u have the money and wanna waste it and risk blowing the 2.4l engine go turbo but i prrefer s/c even if it is less hp..

and plus have installed by dealer and comes with warranty ...

what turbo comes with that

Turbonetics has a full no-fault warranty. That's about the best warranty for a turbo system out. You crash the car, they give you a new kit, you blow the turbo, you get a new kit. I can't remember exactly if the warranty has a "blown" motor part to it too....however, if you blow your motor with a S/C'er, don't expect Toyota to say....OK, new motor for you....no, not that simple. They will find any and every way to blame you for neglience and not warranty you. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 PM
SL Member

heres my plan (now that i rolled 1000 miles today)

TRD s/c
greddy sp2 cat back
looking for suggestions for headers. i dont want this thing too loud.

after the warranty is up, im gonna throw a 9.5lb pulley, and a decent intake and im done. on paper thats potentialy 230whp with some tuning.

and id rather S/C. motor will last longer. ill take the decrease in power for the longevity of the motor
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^that's not proven. I've been turbo'ed longer than the S/C'er has been out.....LOL.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the ARK DT-S catback .... + 2.5 inch high flow cat ... they have a great resonator that kills rasp along side the high flow cat ......

header mmw 4-2-1, tsudo 4-2-1 ... DME 4-1, JVT 4-1, STRUP 4-1 ... pick ure choice