Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New Scion Tc Turbo kit.......Cast Turbo Manifold!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

We use a genuine Garrett turbocharger with 1 year warranty, upgradable to a Turbonetics T3/T4 any size/trim. We also use the new Greddy BOV, and Turbonetics Evolution wastegate.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

WHat Garrett turbo comes with the kit......
Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

It is a T3 based Garret turbo, top secret trims...LOL
Old 10-04-2006, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

It is a T3 based Garret turbo, top secret trims...LOL
LOL..........
I knew that would happen.....
Old 10-04-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, so say i took anyone else's turbo kit...used race gas and no ecm piggy back or tuning..would i get the same hp numbers?
if so, i don't understand what is so special here.

except the fact that i might have a kit that shoots out major power, but has no daily dependibility? just trying to get an education here and i still don't see answers...

and the whole "ancient chinese secret" isn't going to cut it if you have plans to sell this thing. patents protect you, not secrets.
plus trd claims a full warranty up to the 5 yr powertrain with their s/c. unless you can provide guarantees like that, the super secret r&d means very little to a consumer.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I could believe that the stock ECM with properly matched injectors could provide proper fuel requirements with the proper designing. But I think the easiest way to solve this question is to post a dyno run with A/F ratio. That could lay some worries to rest
Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

We will be posting tons of info soon!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How's everyone feel about Greddy's turbo kit?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 2007fmtc
How's everyone feel about Greddy's turbo kit?
and this have to do with this thread how?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
ok, so say i took anyone else's turbo kit...used race gas and no ecm piggy back or tuning..would i get the same hp numbers?
if so, i don't understand what is so special here.

except the fact that i might have a kit that shoots out major power, but has no daily dependibility? just trying to get an education here and i still don't see answers...

and the whole "ancient chinese secret" isn't going to cut it if you have plans to sell this thing. patents protect you, not secrets.
plus trd claims a full warranty up to the 5 yr powertrain with their s/c. unless you can provide guarantees like that, the super secret r&d means very little to a consumer.
The "secret" is only the specific size of the turbo and the R&D put into the kit to avoid using engine management. As far as I know, with enough R&D put into other things like the MAF, you could thereoetically get away without a piggy back. The tC's ECU is pretty damn smart and relatives of it (other Toyotas) have a few times outsmarted GReddy blue boxes. And besides, tuning the MAF does the same thing as tuning the Emanage. You fool the computer into thinking one thing and get it to react in a certain way that's beneficial. One way of doing this is to put the "velocity stack adapter" before the MAF to make it see more air going in which'll put more fuel into the mix. Unfortunately, the little smarty behind your glove box is going to relearn the conditions and readjust. To deal with that, you gotta mess with the rest of the sensors so that they see what they want to see.

As for the instant hp w/ race gas thing, you'd need to learn to read a little closer (and this goes to Treadstone: you guys might want to clarify that part a little more because it sounds like adding race gas will magically boost your power.) It says that with race gas, you can get up to 350 hp because you can safely up the boost. .

I bolded and italicised because it seems like a lot of people aren't getting that point.

Edited because it was flip flopped!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Thanks for the clarification on this matter, as well as the R&D fuel manage discussion, you are exactly right! Piggy back ECU's like blue box greddy are sometimes like a bandade, or just another selling point to make money!

350whp was with race gass,
I think it was close to 300 at the wheels on 93 octane
Old 10-08-2006, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

Ordered my manifold today...........

Can't wait to see it in person.....
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii

The "secret" is only the specific size of the turbo and the R&D put into the kit to avoid using engine management. As far as I know, with enough R&D put into other things like the MAF, you could thereoetically get away without a piggy back. The tC's ECU is pretty damn smart and relatives of it (other Toyotas) have a few times outsmarted GReddy blue boxes. And besides, tuning the MAF does the same thing as tuning the Emanage. You fool the computer into thinking one thing and get it to react in a certain way that's beneficial. One way of doing this is to put a baffle before the MAF to make it see less air going in which'll put more fuel into the mix. Unfortunately, the little smarty behind your glove box is going to relearn the conditions and readjust. To deal with that, you gotta mess with the rest of the sensors so that they see what they want to see.

As for the instant hp w/ race gas thing, you'd need to learn to read a little closer (and this goes to Treadstone: you guys might want to clarify that part a little more because it sounds like adding race gas will magically boost your power.) It says that with race gas, you can get up to 350 hp because you can safely up the boost. .

I bolded and italicised because it seems like a lot of people aren't getting that point.

Less air metered will mean less fuel supplied? Somehow restricting airflow through the MAF will not supply more fuel, it just won't. That would mean the ecu would lean out the motor in the upper rpm range, which it doesn't do.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member

First of all it's good to finally join the SCIONLIFE forums . I've been reading post in this tread for awhile now but just recently decided to join. I just wanted to say it's good to hear to finally see a turbo kit that will fit the 07.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
The "secret" is only the specific size of the turbo and the R&D put into the kit to avoid using engine management. As far as I know, with enough R&D put into other things like the MAF, you could thereoetically get away without a piggy back. The tC's ECU is pretty damn smart and relatives of it (other Toyotas) have a few times outsmarted GReddy blue boxes. And besides, tuning the MAF does the same thing as tuning the Emanage. You fool the computer into thinking one thing and get it to react in a certain way that's beneficial. One way of doing this is to put a baffle before the MAF to make it see less air going in which'll put more fuel into the mix. Unfortunately, the little smarty behind your glove box is going to relearn the conditions and readjust. To deal with that, you gotta mess with the rest of the sensors so that they see what they want to see.

hmm.. never got an email about the thread being updated. hate when that happens..

thanks for the expanded info kungpao. so let me ask you...is it better to have mechanical parts that fool the ecu, an ecu piggyback, or a full reflash? from an ecu learning and parts longevity standpoint.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member

Treadstone could you just explain a little more in depth the Velocity Stack type MAF adapter. What does this do in terms of helping the A/f? And explain what it does to the MAF sensor.

Your kit looks great, i would like to know alittle more about the adapter.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x 2.... i asked that a while ago
Old 10-12-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cjburn
Less air metered will mean less fuel supplied? Somehow restricting airflow through the MAF will not supply more fuel, it just won't. That would mean the ecu would lean out the motor in the upper rpm range, which it doesn't do.
My bad; mixed that one up. More air, more fuel. I just meant you have to fool the ECU to make it dump fuel. That's what the velocity stack MAF adapter thing is going to take care of. The air's speed in the adapter will make the ECU think there's more air so in order to keep stoich, it'll dump fuel. Since there's not actually as much air as the ECU thinks, it'll run as rich as they make it to be. I don't know the specifics since it's a "secret."

As far as what's the best way to fool an ECU? ATM, I'd go for Unichip. It doesn't bother fooling the ECU; rather, it just messes with the signals the ECU sends out. However, Unichips have been known to fail before so... who knows. I would rather use electronics to tune since you have direct control over what's happening. Mechanical tuning like this... it sounds iffy to me. If you can keep on fooling all the sensors than it should work just fine but Toyota has some GOOD coders.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

release will be mid this week......stay tuned, we will have 4 kits ready to ship, then 6 more the week after. Website to be updated shortly! Kit price will be $3495! Taking pre orders right now!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

Can't wait till I get my manifold........

Thanks Treadstone, with working with me. I know I ask so many damn questions.......

Quick Reply: New Scion Tc Turbo kit.......Cast Turbo Manifold!