Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New Turbonetics kit for the Scion Tc...some new info on it..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jowie
Anyone know if its possible to get an intercooler anodized black for those wanting to keep a sleeper look?
The Swain Tech coating is actually supposed to help the heat transfer away from the aluminum to reduce the charge air temps.

I personally have not done any back to back testing but if what they claim is correct it is pretty trick stuff.

As a "rule of thumb" every 10 degrees cooler that the charge ait temp is entering the engine, you can make 1% more power. If you can lower the temps 50 deg. then you just made 5% more HP.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Swain Tech offers a flat black intercooler coating that does not prevent proper heat transfer...
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbot2
Anyone know if its possible to get an intercooler anodized black for those wanting to keep a sleeper look?
The Swain Tech coating is actually supposed to help the heat transfer away from the aluminum to reduce the charge air temps.

I personally have not done any back to back testing but if what they claim is correct it is pretty trick stuff.

As a "rule of thumb" every 10 degrees cooler that the charge ait temp is entering the engine, you can make 1% more power. If you can lower the temps 50 deg. then you just made 5% more HP.
Very interesting. Thanks for the responses guys. See you Saturday! I'll be driving down from the Seattle area, 1100 miles, 1 way! :D
Old 03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the responses guys. See you Saturday! I'll be driving down from the Seattle area, 1100 miles, 1 way! :D
No worries dude. Thats awesome of you to make that drive. Look forward to seeing you there...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Sweet, you should get a prize!

Actually, stop by the Turbo Kits.com booth and I will hook you up with some freebies

jesse@turbo-kits.com
http://www.turbo-kits.com
860-676-2929

No worries dude. Thats awesome of you to make that drive. Look forward to seeing you there...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Dude! SEATTLE... that's unreal. You find me at the Open House and I will make sure you get hooked up for coming from that far away.

We'll see if you are the farthest person to drive in to the event. That will definitley deserve something good.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude! SEATTLE... that's unreal. You find me at the Open House and I will make sure you get hooked up for coming from that far away.

We'll see if you are the farthest person to drive in to the event. That will definitley deserve something good.
Will do, this is gonna be a fun trip. I thought I remember one other guy saying something when this event was first announced about driving down from this area too...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Turbot2,

I was wondering did the Turbonetics Turbo for Scion tC has become CARB legal? or is this for California? I am a little confuse about the CARB and Emission because I notice that in Texas, all they do is sniff the muffler, check the gas cap, check the headlight and tail light, and the blinkers then I pass. I really want the Turbonetics Turbo for my tC. Give me some information about it cuz I will buy it in the summer. Thanks. Hope it ok for me to have this in my car for a long time without taking it apart for the emission. Also I tend to drive from TX to NY to go college there every summer and i dont know if this ok to drive with this turbo from TX to NY cuz it about 25 hours drive. I might be far behind about this new turbo.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElDiablo17
Hey Turbot2,

I was wondering did the Turbonetics Turbo for Scion tC has become CARB legal? or is this for California? I am a little confuse about the CARB and Emission because I notice that in Texas, all they do is sniff the muffler, check the gas cap, check the headlight and tail light, and the blinkers then I pass. I really want the Turbonetics Turbo for my tC. Give me some information about it cuz I will buy it in the summer. Thanks. Hope it ok for me to have this in my car for a long time without taking it apart for the emission. Also I tend to drive from TX to NY to go college there every summer and i dont know if this ok to drive with this turbo from TX to NY cuz it about 25 hours drive. I might be far behind about this new turbo.
With the cat version of the downpipe you should pass the sniffer.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 AM

California might as well be another country as far as smog laws are concerned. CARB stands for California Air Resource Board and controls all of the testing and requirements here in Cali. In fact when you test in Cali the computer is hooked up directly to the states capital in Sacramento. Pretty hardcore.

Many other states have emission tests that aftermarket turbo kits will pass no problem. It depends on the quality of the turbo kits tuneup and the states requirements for testing. Many states such as Florida, New York and I have heard Texas, have tests that only require the sniffer and are not hard to pass even with very high HP vehicles. Again it depends on the tuneup.

Also don't forget that once you buy a new vehicle you are not required to have it tested for 4-5 years after purchase. Thats a long time of turbo boosted fun without having to worry about emissions.

I hope this helps. Have some good BBQ for me down there in Houston.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Turbot2,

Would the kit pass this type of test (Illinois)?

The enhanced emissions test accurately measures emissions from today’s computer-controlled vehicles. Most 1996 and newer vehicles will receive an On-Board Diagnostic Test (OBD) which consists of two parts: First, the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) on the vehicle dash will be checked to see if it is working. Second, a scan tool will be connected to the vehicle's on-board computer to determine OBD system (readiness checks) to retrieve any stored diagnostic trouble codes, and to determine MIL illumination status (commanded on or off).
Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
Hey Turbot2,

Would the kit pass this type of test (Illinois)?

The enhanced emissions test accurately measures emissions from today’s computer-controlled vehicles. Most 1996 and newer vehicles will receive an On-Board Diagnostic Test (OBD) which consists of two parts: First, the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) on the vehicle dash will be checked to see if it is working. Second, a scan tool will be connected to the vehicle's on-board computer to determine OBD system (readiness checks) to retrieve any stored diagnostic trouble codes, and to determine MIL illumination status (commanded on or off).
Sincer there are no codes thrown with this kit yes it will pass the OBDII portion. With the cat on the downpipe it should be more then fine with the sniffer as well.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

California might as well be another country as far as smog laws are concerned. CARB stands for California Air Resource Board and controls all of the testing and requirements here in Cali. In fact when you test in Cali the computer is hooked up directly to the states capital in Sacramento. Pretty hardcore.

Many other states have emission tests that aftermarket turbo kits will pass no problem. It depends on the quality of the turbo kits tuneup and the states requirements for testing. Many states such as Florida, New York and I have heard Texas, have tests that only require the sniffer and are not hard to pass even with very high HP vehicles. Again it depends on the tuneup.

Also don't forget that once you buy a new vehicle you are not required to have it tested for 4-5 years after purchase. Thats a long time of turbo boosted fun without having to worry about emissions.

I hope this helps. Have some good BBQ for me down there in Houston.
I bought my car in July 2005 and it an early model 2006 Scion tC. My emission sticker said to come back to get it tested in 2007 in the summer so it baseically 2 years for me. At least it'll pass when I buy the Turbo with cat system. Thanks Turbot2 and cant hardly wait til summer to get this powerful turbo in my car.

Yea, I miss all the good BBQ in Houston, TX and right now I'm in NY for college (Rochester Institute of Technology). Pretty soon I'll change my major to Toyota career with AAS degree in Monroe Community College and it the 3rd best auto school in the US. That what I heard. I cant wait til I get home in the summer to eat some big ole' STEAK with mash potato and garlic bread! YUMMY!

One more thing, I wonder whats the MPG with the turbo? Will it harm my engine by driving more than 10 hours with this turbo?

Thanks for the information and it's really helpful.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks MIAPLAYA for this information. I'll be getting the cat version but it will cut down some few horsepower. It least it will go fast and satisfy me.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Im gonna be at the meet!

Ill be there you gonna be at the meet robert?

Special Thanks to the companies that sponsored the car www.Turboneticsinc.com SS 350z www.deatschwerks.com 650cc www.ShineAutoProject.com Vertex Lip Kit Audio Kenwood, Suspension Megan, Wheels AXIS Hiro.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my girlfriend wont stop making fun of me because all i talk about 24/7 is this sat. and how i have a chance to win a bad a$$ turbo kit. this is what i have to say about that.........
Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I wonder if the scion community realize how big this is and the ammount of food that will be there. if it was anything like the 350z intro. I gotta get some stuff from Reggie while im down there neway. Ill be with Shagspeed
Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll be there Doug... Its gonna be a GREAT day...
Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by SO-CAL_TC
my girlfriend wont stop making fun of me because all i talk about 24/7 is this sat. and how i have a chance to win a bad a$$ turbo kit. this is what i have to say about that.........
I tease my bf about this too... but then.. I think I might be more excited to win it for my tC than he is to get it on his tC.

I think this is great that they are doing such a big event. It should be a blast!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I'll be there. Its gonna be fun.

Quick question.. the turbokit they are raffling off. Does not have the Downpipe + cat correct? Will the winner have to purchase that part himself? or will he have that option?

Quick Reply: New Turbonetics kit for the Scion Tc...some new info on it..