Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New Turbonetics kit for the Scion Tc...some new info on it..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All,
Unfortunately due to some scheduling issues I wasn't able to get the pics today. I will have them up first thing Monday morning. The results of the shootout were pretty staggering. The Turbonetics Scion TC went head to head with the Scion TC with the TRD kit. REsults:
TRD Scion Tc: 200 FWHP
Turbonetics Scion Tc: 244 WHP

I think that speaks for itself... I drove the Tc in Simi Valley at Turbonetics. I know the name is misleading I actually grew up in Carol City but I live in Socal now. As for the kit it truely is a work of art. I had two other guys who drive FWD well moddded Spec Vs drive the Scion Tc today and all they could do was talk about how fast the car was and how linear the power delivery was. Again I apologize for not having the info right now. As soon as I get my grubby little hands on it I'll post all the info I can get to. Dyno charts, videos, pics, etc.

As for the Unichip what kind of questions do you have maybe I can answer them..
Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like your 350z! I will be watching this thread as I plan on getting this kit! Where exactly is Mossy Performance located? I am not from Cali, but will be living in San Diego for a few months at the least starting in February! I would like to find a decent shop that knows what they are doing to help me out with my tC (mostly for dyno tuning, but also to order from since it looks like they have a cheaper price than turbokits.com)!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA

as an sc'd tC i have mad respect for turbonetics just coz ive seen the kit itself.

what dyno ?

stock tC with sc only ? any other mods ?

turbonetics tC stock exhaust ? turbo back ? any other mods ?

the unichip's tC graph is odd, i never knew trd made a header but do they offer a harness for the car ? if so where is the nearest place to tune ?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All,
Unfortunately due to some scheduling issues I wasn't able to get the pics today. I will have them up first thing Monday morning. The results of the shootout were pretty staggering. The Turbonetics Scion TC went head to head with the Scion TC with the TRD kit. REsults:

I think that speaks for itself... I drove the Tc in Simi Valley at Turbonetics. I know the name is misleading I actually grew up in Carol City but I live in Socal now. As for the kit it truely is a work of art. I had two other guys who drive FWD well moddded Spec Vs drive the Scion Tc today and all they could do was talk about how fast the car was and how linear the power delivery was. Again I apologize for not having the info right now. As soon as I get my grubby little hands on it I'll post all the info I can get to. Dyno charts, videos, pics, etc.

244whp for $4,300?? Spend a few hundred more and you will be pushing 300whp with the zpi "stage 1" turbo kit. Turbonetics is a great company, but 244 for that price range is incredibly insane. Sure, its 100whp+ and that will make a huge difference, but like i said a few hundred more and you would have 50whp more than that. And ZPI is a great company and their kits are also high quality.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could it be that the price premium is b/c that it'll be CARB exempt?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the dyno shooot was a Scion tc with ONLY the TRD kit vs a Scion Tc with ONLY the Turbonetics kit

As for hp 244 FWHP is the BASE map you recieve with the kit. It is by no means the limit of power with that turbo and tuning. The Unichip can be custom dyno tuned by ANY Unichip tuner and the boost can be raised to add more power. The 244 FWHP tune and boost level is what Turbonetics found to be a safe reliable amount of hp and boost for excellent daily driven performace and linear power delivery. But if you want some more power its a dyno tuning session away. Oh and the Turbonetics warranty is not voided if you do that either.

As for Mossy Performance they are located in north San Diego County, Oceanside to be exact. They should be able to take care of you for everything including an install shop.

The price is actually I think pretty reasonable
quality ball bearing turbo
wastegate and BOV included and plumbed to prevent rich conditions when it vents
Unichip EMS which delivers a safe reliable 244 FWHP with the ability for MUCH more with dyno tuning and higher boost
Quality Spearco front mount intercooler
No fault no hassle warranty on EVERY part regardless iff you change the tune, race the car, or even wreck the car. Turbonetics customer support is second to none.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the kind words about my Z...took a bit to get it where it is now but its one of the most exciting cars I've ever owned...
Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the zpi kit is set at 9-10psi with a evoIII 16g turbo. the turbonetics kit uses a hybred t3/t04b turbo(w/ball bearing upgrade) at only 8 psi. This is a larger turbo and can also handle much higher boost levels! The BOV and the WG on both kits are comparable, but the turbonetic kit does not vent into the atmosphere which is a plus!

I think the other thing which I will have to wait and find out though is the size of fuel injectors they use. ZPI is 550cc I am only hoping that turbonetics went bigger!

Other than that the turbonetics kit has a better show quality too, and is a few hundred dollars cheaper!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmlloveless
the zpi kit is set at 9-10psi with a evoIII 16g turbo. the turbonetics kit uses a hybred t3/t04b turbo(w/ball bearing upgrade) at only 8 psi. This is a larger turbo and can also handle much higher boost levels! The BOV and the WG on both kits are comparable, but the turbonetic kit does not vent into the atmosphere which is a plus!

I think the other thing which I will have to wait and find out though is the size of fuel injectors they use. ZPI is 550cc I am only hoping that turbonetics went bigger!

Other than that the turbonetics kit has a better show quality too, and is a few hundred dollars cheaper!
Couldn't have summed it up better myself...I will get the exact injector size for you all on Monday. Does the ZPI kit include a Walbro 255 lph pump as I'm pretty sure the Turbonetics kit does
Old 12-31-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i can say first hand the customer service at ZPI is the best i'v seen from any company i have ever dealed with. i bought one of there s-pipes from someone who bought it from them. when i went to install it things didn't exactly go right. i posted on the forum to see if anyone else was having the same problems i was having. within the hour kenny at ZPI sent me a PM with his cell phone number so i could better explain the problem i was having. long story short they sent me a new s-pipe even though i didn't even buy it from them, and to top it off i was having a problem with my MAFS (i didn't know it was that at the time) and kenny called one of his techs at like 10pm to help give me some tech support with the problem i was having. i'm not saying turbonetics doesn't have the same customer service i'm just letting everyone know that ZPI really knows how to take care of a customer.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Souljah347
i can say first hand the customer service at ZPI is the best i'v seen from any company i have ever dealed with. i bought one of there s-pipes from someone who bought it from them. when i went to install it things didn't exactly go right. i posted on the forum to see if anyone else was having the same problems i was having. within the hour kenny at ZPI sent me a PM with his cell phone number so i could better explain the problem i was having. long story short they sent me a new s-pipe even though i didn't even buy it from them, and to top it off i was having a problem with my MAFS (i didn't know it was that at the time) and kenny called one of his techs at like 10pm to help give me some tech support with the problem i was having. i'm not saying turbonetics doesn't have the same customer service i'm just letting everyone know that ZPI really knows how to take care of a customer.
Thats really cool and I'm not trying to take anything away from ZPI. They may very well have some excellent customer service and obvioulsy you are happy with it. In my opinion theres no such thing as to many vendors though (in the forced induction market that is). Competition brings down costs and good customer service from one company makes for a higher bar to meet for any new companies. I'm confident that those who choose to invest in the Turbonetics kit will be equally happy with the product they receive, the perfromance it provides, and most of all with the customer service they get when they do have questions. In my last year of working with Turbonetics I have seen them go above and beyond for numerous customers who had questions, wrecks like above, etc. I'm sure when you guys start seeing more of these kits out on the road and when I get that video posted you will all agree. The Turbonetics kit is flat out built to perform in every aspect while keeping daily driver like reliability and VERY linear power delivery. At the same time it is capable of so much more with a simple tuning session and some more boost. Of course at a certain point you will need to explore built motor options if your need for speed gets that high but regardless of what application or goals you have in mind the Turbonetics kit will deliver the goods. I'm currently sitting at 380 RWHP on my z but the turbo in my kit has the flow potential of 470-480 RWHP and 520 ft/lb of tq at 14 PSI. its already been done. I'm a built motor away from those numbers. Turbonetics always builds in plenty of head room for each kit so that what yu get will do the job but if you want more the potential is there. Again I apologize for not having all the info readily available now but look for it Monday. I think you will all be very happy with what you see.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats really cool and I'm not trying to take anything away from ZPI. They may very well have some excellent customer service and obvioulsy you are happy with it. In my opinion theres no such thing as to many vendors though (in the forced induction market that is). Competition brings down costs and good customer service from one company makes for a higher bar to meet for any new companies. I'm confident that those who choose to invest in the Turbonetics kit will be equally happy with the product they receive, the perfromance it provides, and most of all with the customer service they get when they do have questions. In my last year of working with Turbonetics I have seen them go above and beyond for numerous customers who had questions, wrecks like above, etc. I'm sure when you guys start seeing more of these kits out on the road and when I get that video posted you will all agree. The Turbonetics kit is flat out built to perform in every aspect while keeping daily driver like reliability and VERY linear power delivery. At the same time it is capable of so much more with a simple tuning session and some more boost. Of course at a certain point you will need to explore built motor options if your need for speed gets that high but regardless of what application or goals you have in mind the Turbonetics kit will deliver the goods. I'm currently sitting at 380 RWHP on my z but the turbo in my kit has the flow potential of 470-480 RWHP and 520 ft/lb of tq at 14 PSI. its already been done. I'm a built motor away from those numbers. Turbonetics always builds in plenty of head room for each kit so that what yu get will do the job but if you want more the potential is there. Again I apologize for not having all the info readily available now but look for it Monday. I think you will all be very happy with what you see.
I'm also not trying to take anything away from turbonetics, i know they are a great company. But i think if i had to choose, i'd go with zpi. Which, i get to choose soon anyway since ZPI is developing a xb/xa line of products.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
I'm also not trying to take anything away from turbonetics, i know they are a great company. But i think if i had to choose, i'd go with zpi. Which, i get to choose soon anyway since ZPI is developing a xb/xa line of products.
Well to each their own...Everyone has the right to choose what they prefer. if you have a Tc though I would at least give Turbonetics a chance and take a look at the dynos, pics, and videos and when you have seen it all then decide
Old 12-31-2005, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This kit is sounding better every word i hear. ZPI, Dezod, and Turbonetics all sound like very well thought out kits
BUT... please do not turn this into a ZPI vs. Turbonetics thread ZPI has given their information and numbers and it will benifit all of us to hear Turbonetics' response without senseless bashing or idiotic comments.
And a 12 month warranty sounds great.
One question to MIAPLAYER what relationship do you have to the Turbonetics company, are you sponsored, or a member of the company?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Erni3
This kit is sounding better every word i hear. ZPI, Dezod, and Turbonetics all sound like very well thought out kits
BUT... please do not turn this into a ZPI vs. Turbonetics thread ZPI has given their information and numbers and it will benifit all of us to hear Turbonetics' response without senseless bashing or idiotic comments.
And a 12 month warranty sounds great.
One question to MIAPLAYER what relationship do you have to the Turbonetics company, are you sponsored, or a member of the company?
I never wanted that to happen, i was just sharing the fact for a little more money you can start out with more. While, after checking out the Turbonetic information i too, am interested in what they have to offer. Though, ZPI would be my first choice unless proven otherwise. Personally, if i wanted to go with a bigger name i'd choose hks hands down. I know some one with a hks turbo set up and their products are just amazing.

But lets hear from turbonetics, so far we are hearing passed down and not direct information from them. Don't a few that work with the company have accounts here? If not, they are bound to know scionlife exists. I'd like them to post here directly like other companies and show us sheets, videos, and other things of that nature.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must say, I REALLY dig that turbo, a very capable unit, I have one in my turbo altima. The included unichip will make the electrical portion of installation a breeze, plus leave you open for custom tuning. In addition the unichip can store two maps I believe, so u can have a second map custom programmed for race gas if your nuts (and have upgraded internals). I'd get this kit in a heartbeat but I already have another FWD turbo car, and I guess one is enough.......time will tell. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/
Old 01-01-2006, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ahh.... I remember seeing pics of that BSP tC with the Volk TE37s. That car is absolutely beautiful. Turbonetics is an extremely reputable turbo and making a turbo for the tC that is CARB exempt is a feat on its own when other companies cant even produce a CAI that can pass emmisions. This kit is well worth the 4g's for the lucky people that can afford it. I personally have tons of respect for dezod and zpi for their research and how they keep us up to date with everything but looks like this time they have to step it up a notch to keep up.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok here it goes. its a little rough. but someone on this forum said that the rings on the piston easily crack or something and at this amount of HP, is that going to happen? Do we need to have "built" internals?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by heyitznosaj
Ahh.... I remember seeing pics of that BSP tC with the Volk TE37s. That car is absolutely beautiful. Turbonetics is an extremely reputable turbo and making a turbo for the tC that is CARB exempt is a feat on its own when other companies cant even produce a CAI that can pass emmisions. This kit is well worth the 4g's for the lucky people that can afford it. I personally have tons of respect for dezod and zpi for their research and how they keep us up to date with everything but looks like this time they have to step it up a notch to keep up.
don't know about you, but on their website it says none of their turbo's are carb exempt.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bubblemyster
ok here it goes. its a little rough. but someone on this forum said that the rings on the piston easily crack or something and at this amount of HP, is that going to happen? Do we need to have "built" internals?
Not unless you really go crazy with gains and psi levels, you should be safe.

Quick Reply: New Turbonetics kit for the Scion Tc...some new info on it..