Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

new ZPIracing turbo clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congratulations ZPI/Kenny on the clutch, I know, as you do that this is a great clutch and will be an added favorite to the performance minded individual.

As to who makes the clutch, that is a business agreement between ZPI and the OEM manufacture. In most business arrangements such as this it is not required that the company reveals who makes the products for them. I understand that brand name adds validation to a product worth, performance and reliability.

What you may want to consider is this. You all know that Kenny has installed, driven, drag raced and detonated many clutches over the years. Knowing this, with the variety of F/I powered platforms from ZPI combined with a variety of clutches currently in the market place. What works best and most certainly what does not work was hashed out sometime ago.

Now that you’re looking at this from another perspective, would ZPI bring to market a name branded clutch that would not stand the test of time? Not likely, I would trust that Kenny is not making his first Million on selling clutches; I know he is not in it for the money. Only thing that comes to mind is reliability and performance!

If ZPI wants to let the cat out of the bag let Kenny do it on his own terms. Don’t clog the thread by adding non value added comments when ZPI, and many other companies here on SCION LIFE are working in your best interest to move the SCION community to the next level.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well stated Kelly and Keisha/ Kenny, never know which one of you it is...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
I know who.

Me too!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow, Scottsdale said it well...

Golly, your posts are so elequently derived, from what, unquestionably, is your immense and fantastic informational proficiency, delving into the true identity of the customer psyche, knowing which fabulous characters to assemble into unadulterated expressive artwork, in the form of true text…

I love your posts, as they are always great reading! And ZPI loveliness in the form of clutch and flywheel FTW!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Need more information, not just price. Buying a clutch on price alone is stupid.

-Pedal Pressure
-% over stock.. etc
Old 10-13-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
street and stip is comparable to CM stage 3 with a better disk to hold up against heat glazing..

Race= stage 4 little bit more aggressive
Now that you've asked the question, lets wait for the answer!

In the meantime...

I'm sure the performance / engagement / pressure is similiar to the above comparison...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Need more information, not just price. Buying a clutch on price alone is stupid.

-Pedal Pressure
-% over stock.. etc
I believe pressure was 150% over stock.
I'm curious about the 'feel' too. I know it's subjective, but inquiring minds want to know!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also you cant change the friction surface on the flywheel like the Fidanza?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
I know who.

Me too!
Thanks for respecting another company's products and not telling anyone if you guys really do know.

With that said, I cant wait to see how this clutch and flywheel combo works out. by the time i go F/I, im sure this will be a much needed option.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Also, form ZPIracing.net forum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As most of you know ZPIracing has had mixed feelings about the available clutches on the market for the tC. The stage 3 that we suggest has failed numerous times under heated conditions and the stage 4 provides un bearable driving conditions and premature wear…In typical ZPIracing fashion we worked closely with the leaders in Clutch and flywheel technology to develop the ZPIracing clutch series.

ZPIracing will offer two clutch kits and a flywheel for all the Scion junkies of the world. The first clutch will be the ZPIracing street/strip clutch with 100% holding capacity over stock and a long life disc this is great for the 300-375whp crowd whom drive the car everyday and race it when the civic next to them like to get froggy. This is a great street clutch maintaining stock like drivability and pedal feel with exceptional holding power..

ZPIracing will also offer the ZPIracing Race clutch. This is a 6 puck design sprung hub and capable of holding (well we have not made it slip yet so who knows) just about anything. This is the clutch we will be running in our silver and grey tC with both of them over the 400whp mark.

I hope this clears things up alittle...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I just saw that after I posted. Thanks for posting up the info.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes yes, we're definately not looking to start any problems what so ever. Friendly competition is great and this community can always benefit from that! I can agree that if you're boosted, you need an adequate clutch. There's no question that the stock clutch isn't capable of holding high hp tCs. The more options for our platform the better.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What material is the friction plate? If it's kevlar, I may be sold.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Split and cleaned up... Keep it on topic...

Calling People liars or posting that people are shady or attempting to mislead SL useris not acceptable, especially without all the correct info.

These are an exclusive part to the ZPI portfolio and are from a reputable manufacturer. Given the current envirnment on Scionlife in the forums (Which is dissapointingly hostile at best) I respect and understand why they, as a company, prefer to keep their sources and agreements confidential, which they have a reasonable reason to do.

If you do not wish to purchase or support this product, please do not waste posts by telling us so, as it's your choice... it's unacceptable to continue to pull posts off topic by stating why you wont want to buy certain products. In unfair to ALL the various companies that are developing parts for our use.

Any Questions Regarding? - PM Me, do NOT post up in this thread.

Back on topic please!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy ish... 9.3 lbs.... I forget what our stock one weighs buts its hella more than that
Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I was trying to find out what the stock one weighs... maybe someone out there has weighed it... but it's a SIGNIFICANT amount more for sure...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maye ZPI could give me this for cheap and I'll weigh it for ya
Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IceNine
Well, *I* wouldn't buy a clutch without knowing which outfit built it, but that's just me. After all, you're gonna be stuck with it an AWFUL long time.
I would like to know this information also.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by thechick_zpi
ZPI is responsible for a lot of the design. The clutch at this time is a ZPIracing exclusive. The actual plant that makes this does not reveal their name or involvment in this or any other private label project.

I am sure at some point it will be leaked...but them and us ask that it is kept private.
This is the official response to that question at this time from ZPI. and we have discussed reasoning as well.... please refer back to those discussions for more information.

ZPI is a developement firm and innovating company, who designs and partners with companies to develope parts for our community, based on performance neccesity... This is common in the automotive aftermarket marketplace, and such agreements are usually kept private... and most of us respect that, including Direct Competitors Such as the guys at Dezod.

If you do not wish to buy based on that, It's understandable, but at this time, that is the situation and answer above.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be ordering and letting all know how the install goes as well as my views on the quality of the part.

Quick Reply: new ZPIracing turbo clutch