Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

new ZPIracing turbo clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will you have some clutch chatter with the race version of this clutch? What is the pedal feel like on the race version?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
Will you have some clutch chatter with the race version of this clutch? What is the pedal feel like on the race version?

I can't speak from experience on the race version, but I'm sure like all clutches designated strickly for the drag strip, it will more than likely be a b!tch to drive daily.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
One should not judge the effectiveness of a clutch based on pedal feel. When I had the Clutchmasters Stage 1, it felt like stock too. You see what abuse I put that through. The variation in clutch feel vs the CS Stage 1 goes unnoticeable. But the durability IS noticeable. I can feel it holding strong, and can tell from driving/launching that it has the needed threshold to suite my driving habits. Secondly, you will be hard pressed to find yourself liking a clutch with very stiff engagement when your sitting in traffic from daily driving. You want get very much in terms of stiffness of the pedal until your making enough power to constitute a Stage 4 clutch (ZPI Black clutch) upgrade. Stage 4 is beyond daily drivability, stop and go traffic. Unless you want to be real hardcore and or use it for bragging rights. Otherwise, you won't experience much more pedal stiffness from anything less than a Stage 4.
Well, that's good to know.. I really wouldn't mind something stiffer at all, not even for a daily driver. I think the tC clutch is wayyyyy too soft compared to other cars I have driven.

I think with something stiffer I would be able to feel it engage better.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Knowing the manufacturer speaks directly to its quality. That's why the question is being asked...

If zpi doesn't want to say who makes it, they certainly don't have to. But it *will* give people the impression that they have a reason to hide that info, leaving plenty of room for rumors or speculation. That's just the way it is with anything.

I personally think it's because they want to give people the impression that they really designed it (or like they have said before, had a hand in designing it). My opinion is that they had no hand in designing it and are simply putting their sticker on someone else's product - which is perfectly ok, just say so. JMDO.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I respectfully have to disagree with you sir. Confusion is to be had in the said experience and durability of a product vs the Marketing strategy used in getting that product to the Scion community. Exactly how many clucth manufactures are there in this industry? To my knowledge, some make a better clutch than others, but NONE of them make a crappy product....lets use a little common sense here.
Clutchmasters, ACT, Exedy, Boss, Gripforce, Daikin, just to name a few..... I also heard that Competition Clutch is shipping their stage 2 and stage 4 clutches as well, but you have to call and ask for it or email them because they haven't updated their website in a while.

So yeah, there's a LOT of players in this space, and i'm sure people want to know which clutch they'd be getting before they plink down their money.

hypothetically speaking, if you were their partner on this product, would you stand up and interject and tell everyone that you produced this, and all the work was done by you? That's not the way companies do business when they create a joint effort.
Well, a joint effort is a joint effort. Usually both sides are proud to be part of that effort.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Before this thread gets locked, could someone from ZPI please tell us what the Street/Strip clutch material is?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah and I just want to know how it compares to the ACT Street Clutch, becasue that was the one I was going for since I will have a turbocharged daily driver and didn't want to get a left calf the size of Popeye's.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow.... We've covered the fact that We don't know which manufacturer makes the clutch, that some won't buy the product without knowing that information, and that you will not be given the information. and all that information at least twice... We don't need to continue to address the same info again.

Please continue on with discussion regarding the product ITSELF, and the topic of the thread announcing this product...

We all know certain member's opinions about the product and if you continue to state the same opinion, over and over again Which is absolutely uneccesary and continues to bring the topic off-topic, you will be warned and the topic will be cleaned up once again...

-WDS
Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

nice looking clutch, decent price, but unknown quality. buy it or let it be.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCUZZ
nice looking clutch, decent price, but unknown quality. buy it or let it be.

Quality is unquestionable. I've been running this clutch, it's durable, and it holds all I have to put down to the ground. So, the quality is there if you are ready for it. Clutch pedal is that of a daily driver (female friendly in fact), and it will hold for those spare of the moment stop light races or drag strip launches. Clutch engagement is very smooth, no problems there. I'm not sure what clutch chatter is as someone asked before, but it that means is it noisy, I would say it's not. Simply put, it works.