Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

No more Quaife...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its 5, well mine is anyways lol
Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I can't wait till Trdsparks get it...I really need it for the supercharger =)...
Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Got a call today froma friend at the dealership.

$1300 for the LSD

$800 for install

$125 for miscelanious parts.

Cheaper than I was expecting. He asked when I wanted one, but I cant afford it right now.
$925 total for install!? Seems kinda low IMO especially when my dealership wants to charge me $700 for a clutch+flywheel install
Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

installing the clutch and flywheel typically arent hard. the part that's hard is pulling out the tranny and putting it back in. thats why it's ideal to put in the clutch and flywheel while the lsd is being installed. same labor steps.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

125 bucks for misc parts is BS. The quaife part. needs no "Misc" parts. You use your old bearings, and You re-fill the lubricant.... 30 bucks for the oil and ermm.. where do they come up with 125?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

they probably consider replacing the gaskets/seals with RTV a misc part. but still not $125. Maybe to buy the special tools to disassemble the tranny?? I dunno. Although every tranny I have disassembled I have found a makeshift tool that gets the job done without having to buy special tools to do the job.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TimmyT
125 bucks for misc parts is BS. The quaife part. needs no "Misc" parts. You use your old bearings, and You re-fill the lubricant.... 30 bucks for the oil and ermm.. where do they come up with 125?
That's part of the rip off, don't u get it?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It's a product they know people will want. That's why they bought in It's just business.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be nice to know what true difference that 2+k would make in the real world.... both under spirited street driving, as well as any benefit when under poor conditions ( for those of us who drive these year round.... sun or snow... ).
I'm guessing, wrong as i may be, that those who would get the most benefits out of an lsd would be ones with higher hp rides, not those of us with stock sc's or n/a motors.

At least it would come with the full warranty... that is until someone bolts on larger then stock rims or runs incorrect psi in the tires ( or insert any other stupid thought that they could use not to fix it if it broke )... sorry, jumped the tracks a bit there...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
It would be nice to know what true difference that 2+k would make in the real world.... both under spirited street driving, as well as any benefit when under poor conditions ( for those of us who drive these year round.... sun or snow... ).
I'm guessing, wrong as i may be, that those who would get the most benefits out of an lsd would be ones with higher hp rides, not those of us with stock sc's or n/a motors.

At least it would come with the full warranty... that is until someone bolts on larger then stock rims or runs incorrect psi in the tires ( or insert any other stupid thought that they could use not to fix it if it broke )... sorry, jumped the tracks a bit there...
....and you would be right - which is why it's bound to be a "TRD" part. And yes, if you put on aftermarket rims, and something goes wrong with the LSD, they are going to blame your rims.

Honestly, TRD should just stick to racing, and not sell to the factory warranty population. They're starting to bleed into an area that's just going to annoy a lot of people.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

They didnt explain the misc parts to me. I was in a rush so couldnt ask many questions.

Now heres a question, to install the LSD the tranny will be out right?
Would they still charge me full price for install if I had them throw a new clutch in there?
The tranny is already out so I would think it would be almost no install time for the new clutch, but this is the dealership...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well - keep in mind that in bad weather you have better traction from both your tires. Also - the MAJOR plus is that when you have to make turns fast ....you now can. In case of an accident your power now is brought to both wheels ...and also ...when you turn on a daily basis ... having both tires moving brings you through the turn instead of one of the wheels screeching if you take it too fast. keep that in mind.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see how your rims are going to be at fault unless they're different sizes, which is stupid with or without LSD.

generally speaking, TRD offering it is STILL an advantange. as if you werent going to pay for it if it broke anyway. at least this way there is a chance it's covered. and quaife remains in business instead of underselling.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is true^
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Doesn't matter. Dealer will still blame it on that.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by soros151
TRD is telling people that they"recommends installation of new bearings. It is very difficult to remove the old bearings without causing damage to them"
Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer will have no proof that simply a wheel size matters because they sell wheels on their own in different sizes too. and if perhaps the wheel was defective and caused damage, that'd be probably covered under the wheel manufacturer's policy. or so we hope.

also, i wouldnt mind new parts in my tranny. id let them replace what they want, within reason.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82

well - keep in mind that in bad weather you have better traction from both your tires. Also - the MAJOR plus is that when you have to make turns fast ....you now can. In case of an accident your power now is brought to both wheels ...and also ...when you turn on a daily basis ... having both tires moving brings you through the turn instead of one of the wheels screeching if you take it too fast. keep that in mind.

points well taken... thx
of course if it's that crappy up here, we'll leave the toy in the garage and take the fj.... dashing thru the snow... in a 239 horse black cherry sleigh....
man, someone needs a nap...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cessblood
Originally Posted by soros151
TRD is telling people that they"recommends installation of new bearings. It is very difficult to remove the old bearings without causing damage to them"
Of course they will tell u that, and u have to believe them. Ask someone here who already has the LSD, and ask them what bearings they have.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, here's a dumb question from the aarp crowd: if we get a better launch with a limited slip; can i assume the torque steer would be more pronounced? I've experienced only small amounts of it during "rolling starts", and didn't know if the car maybe was designed ( perhaps had equal length half shafts ) to help limit it during a true hard launch.
My previous experience with "stronger" front drivers was when i sold the 1st gen turbo eclipses which ( unless you got the awd ) could be quite a handful at times--sure surprised a few people on test drives.... so am still relatively new to the performance front drive circuit.
As for TRD having this part now; i wonder if they will/would package it with a new clutch assembly. Something that may better handle ( then stock ) long term the harder take-offs that the limited slip will offer?
just some early morning thoughts...