Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

NST pulleys on ZPI turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NST pulleys on ZPI turbo kit

Will the nst pulleys work well on the the ZPI turbo kits or for that matter any turbo kit. I have searched many times in regards to this and i just wanted to make sure before i got them because im ordering the the stage zero when i get sum more cash in
Old 02-22-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was conisdering it...the nst guy says it would be fine....and help out the turbo abit.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more strain on the engine? or not at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, an NST underdrive pulley will benefit a turbo charged car as well as n/a. Most often turbo cars see even better results than n/a ones do after pulley swaps. Look for an NST representative on AIM and they can probably tell you why.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, NST pulley's will help you turbocharged or n/a.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im stil worried about the speed of the accessories...

smaller crank pulley, bigger water pump and alternator pulley am i right?

all this does is make everything SPIN easier... A LOT easier.

i know for those with audio it will hurt but wat about power steering and AC and such? would the NST pulley's hurt that a little and cause more stress when using these a lot?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

i know for those with audio it will hurt but wat about power steering and AC and such? would the NST pulley's hurt that a little and cause more stress when using these a lot?
the crank pulley will slow down your accessories but you wont even feel it. but if u get the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley, it'll put it back to normal.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Sam_J84
Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

the crank pulley will slow down your accessories but you wont even feel it. but if u get the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley, it'll put it back to normal.
not relaly...

like i said, smaller crank pulley will = EASIER movement but slower speed. and BIGGER water pump and alternator = SLOWER but EASIER to turn

tink of it as a bike. im sure many of you ridden a mtn bike.

the front gears (where the peddles are) is the crank pulley, bigger it is, you can go faster but with added stress and less rotations.
the smaller it is, the less stress u need to turn it, it will go slower in the same amount of rotations.

now if you refer to the REAR gears on a bike as the alternator and water pump, the bigger it is, the easier it is to turn, its slower with the same rotational speed (compared to a smaller pulley)

thats how i came about the NST pulley's. my question is, will it affect the accessories a lot? is it noticeable? because for it to go at the same speed, it must spin more which is impossible because the pulleys can only go so fast
Old 02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, tallk to one of the NST guys on AIM and they will clear it all up for you. This is what I have learned. You need to think of the terms OVERDRIVE and UNDERDRIVE to get it all straight.

The NST Crank pulley is UNDERDRIVE. Underdrive means to slow down. So the underdrive crank pulley will slow down the accessories like the alternator and a/c. These guys have done A LOT of testing and know the limits and boundaries. They are not going to slow your stuff down so much that you come on here and tell everyone that your stuff sucks now. That would just kill their business.

The NST alternator pulley is OVERDRIVE. Overdrive means to speed up. Why would you want to speed up the alternator? Well, if you have a huge audio system, if you have lots of screens in your car, or if you have lots of lighting mods then your stock alternator will not be able to keep up with all these extra demands. Speeding up the alternator will make it work more efficiently than it would otherwise. This is why they offer an OVERdrive alternator pulley.

Neither the water pump pulley, nor the alternator pulley offered by NST are any bigger than stock, in fact the alternator pulley is smaller. Take a look at some of the pictures they have posted up on their website! www.NonStopTuning.com
Old 02-23-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thx for clearing that, a few people told me that the alternator pulley is larger than stock and i never sat down to match up overdrive an bigger alternator pulley (which does not match up).

thx for clearing it up. seems like everything is on the up and up but one last question...

is the water pump pulley same size as stock but only lighter? shouldnt that been made a tiny bit smaller too?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump....
So im kinda confused about this... so if the underdrive pulley adversly effect accessories, and the water/alternater pulley do the opposite, wouldnt getting all 3 pulleys negate each other? If so whats the point and getting the set of pullies? maybe im dumb... any help?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Secondary question... sorta related: A lightened flywheel works on the same basic principle right? Its lighter therefore accelerates faster... Does combining a lightweight pulley and lightened flywheel put to much stress on an engine? Will it harm a turbo engine with both installed?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If were me, I would NOT run Pulleys & lightweight flywheel on our Boosted tC. Seems like overkill. And probably to much wear and tear on the engine.

My question is this, Has NST actually TESTED thier Combo pulley system on a Boosted TC? Or is all this speculations? How many of you in here have a Boosted tC with NST pulleys on it? If not, Who's going to be the Guinea Pig to try it?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pryde
Bump....
So im kinda confused about this... so if the underdrive pulley adversly effect accessories, and the water/alternater pulley do the opposite, wouldnt getting all 3 pulleys negate each other? If so whats the point and getting the set of pullies? maybe im dumb... any help?
The underdrive crank pulley does not adversely affect the accessories. It slows them to a certain level that will not be noticeable nor will hurt them. In doing so, it will send the power that they used to rob, to the wheels instead.

There are some people who love to have very large audio systems, lots of screens, different lights, HIDs, and other components that will draw a large supply of electrical power from the car's system. These people often find their alternators unable to supply this extra charge whether they have a stock crank pulley or not. For this reason, NST has designed their overdrive alternator pulley to speed up the alternator, make more power, and help these people. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU MUST BUY THIS PULLEY IF YOU HAVE OTHER NST PULLEYS.

My question is this, Has NST actually TESTED thier Combo pulley system on a Boosted TC? Or is all this speculations? How many of you in here have a Boosted tC with NST pulleys on it? If not, Who's going to be the Guinea Pig to try it?
Talk to Mike from NST and he will tell you about their R&D process. They have been working on the tC for the past couple years. They do not just build products and then sell them to their customers to be the test pigs.

Munch with is turbo, Simplyscion with his SC, Garage1217, and several other people have all been running NST pulley varations on their cars for quite some time now.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ That's what I wanted to know. If there was anyone with F/I running the pulleys.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
If were me, I would NOT run Pulleys & lightweight flywheel on our Boosted tC. Seems like overkill. And probably to much wear and tear on the engine.

1 boosted tc right here with full set of NST pulleys
Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

+2
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

+3 in one week from now
ZPI stage 0 and all NST pullies
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Garage1217
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

1 boosted tc right here with full set of NST pulleys

What F/I are you running? Didn't know you were boosted too.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats jeremy...desertheat, he changed his name a while back if you didnt remember...he's a TRD blown guy

Quick Reply: NST pulleys on ZPI turbo kit