Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

numerous problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default numerous problems...

alright, its time to start a thread, ive been having problems with the car since the beginning of the month

it all started earlier this month when my car wouldnt start. i posted a thread about it. the car wouldnt even turn over and i checked plugs and injectors seemed fine. no visible vac leaks. so i figured it was electrical. i checked all fuses, they were fine. apparantly when i tried to start the car later that day, it started like nothing was wrong. over the next week, i had the same problem. i narrowed it down to a faulty plug and play emanage harness. everytime the car started was after i took pressure off the harness by opening or taking out the glovebox. one time it started after just wiggling the harness connections. this would also explain why my cruise control didnt work sometimes over the past couple weeks also.

so, about 2 weeks ago, i decided to install my blackbox which of course involved touching the wire harness. seemed like i did something to worsen the harness. the car wouldnt start. so i tried again, it fired up but idled horribly and i had a CEL. i also did not have an engine speed (rpm) reading on my tach. i took out the harness and the car started up with the tach reading again but running way too rich even for the UEGO to read (under 10 afr).

i sent my harness back to be repaired and now i have it. i tried starting up the car and seemed like i was having the same problems as RODLANDSCION. i heard a pop and some smoke appeared as i turned the ign to "on". i had a CEL. so i thought there was now something wrong with my injectors. cranking the engine made a horrible idle and still running rich (around 10.5 afr). today, i went to buy new plugs since the old ones were completely black from running rich the other time. i put them in but the car still idled horribly with a CEL. so i took out my injectors and put them back in. it cured that "popping" noise but still did nothing for my engine idle. there is also a lot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust.

im sorry for the essay but im just trying to be as descriptive as possible to get help. theres nothing i know to check for anymore without getting the code scanned. im going to get it scanned tomorrow hopefully. any help in the mean time will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man if you figure anything out or have any type of solution give me a call...I'll PM you my number.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

who installed the kit and who tuned it because that sounds like it could be the problem...maybe they screwed up a little
Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
who installed the kit and who tuned it because that sounds like it could be the problem...maybe they screwed up a little
i did, lol. but its been running problem free for a couple of months. what do you think is wrong with the install?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible that the primary o2 sensor went bad because i was running really rich? it really fouled my plugs, they were completely black when i took them out and reeked the smell of fuel. that time my afrs were under 10, fuel was literally spitting out of my exhaust leaks.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could we have a bad emanage? My car billows white smoke (maybe gray as it's been at night). This indicates burned oil I think and if that's whats in the exhaust that would cause the exhaust mixed with fuel and oil to fool the o2 sensors into thinking the car is really rich as there is hardly any oxygen present.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:43 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

use a mirror and look where you installed the new injectors and make sure that the large round rubber seals that seal the injector to the head are seated properly and did not fall out during install. I forget who had a similar problem which was due to 1 seal missing. I'm not refering to the O-rings but a larger rubber seal on the injector side:

Old 01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the injectors were fine. they looked okay before and after i reinstalled them and i used a mirror to make sure the seals were in.

im gonna try get my codes scanned today.

also, i thought white smoke can indicate coolant/water?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have ALOT of white smoke on cold starts and a little after casual driving thanx to no cat and mostly beacuse of the freezing temps around here, but what you'd be looking for as an indication of burning collant is LINGERING white smoke at operating temp. There'd be no doubts, you'd know it if you saw it.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah i see, but i dont leave my car running enough to check that, lol. i just get a horrible idle, with around 10.5 afr, huffing white smoke, and a CEL so i just turned it off. i maybe let it run for about 20 sec. also, since it is a cold start, the idle should be higher but it was under 1k.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^are you allowing the car to warm up COMPLETELY first? Or are you getting 10.5 AFr with the car completely warmed and at Idle?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car does this too, but after a good while of idling as well. Man this is bothering me so much, I've been without my car for three weeks now. I've just been driving tc's here at the dealership to get my scion fix but I wanna feel the turbo!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion
My car does this too, but after a good while of idling as well. Man this is bothering me so much, I've been without my car for three weeks now. I've just been driving tc's here at the dealership to get my scion fix but I wanna feel the turbo!
So at idle, AFTER warming up, your seeing 10's AFR?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you work at a dealer, have a technician pull PIDS and run CMDTC's. should point you in the right direction.

sounds like your ecu is defaulting to failure stragity.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, bought myself a code scanner and got these codes:

P0102-Mass or Volume Circuit Low Input (dealing with Fuel and Air Metering

P0351-Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Failure (Ignition System or Misfire)

thoughts and suggestions? emanage problem?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, now that we have codes we have somewhere to go. first a MAF code can cause servere driveabilty concerns. i know the emanage use the MAF as one of it's inputs for fuel correction. i would conduct a wiggle test and look for an intermient open/high resistance.

the maf issue needs to be fixed first and then worry about the other code. i think the ingnition code is coming from the MAF fault.

if you have a DMM i would do some voltage drops on the MAF ckt. i think the problem is in the wiring. do a voltage drop from the emanage to the ecu and the ecu to the sensor connector.

if you need help shoot me a PM. i'm a certifed tech
Old 01-28-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, after a good couple minutes of idling I still get 10.5 afrs. Also, I can't have this work done at the dealer because I simply can't get my car here.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pm sent...

mr. frost i replied in your post.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this on a 2007?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 AM