Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Motor Build End-All Super Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im not trying to build a race car.. i just want a unique auto street machine runnin 350-400 whp .. so the work on the block should be able to get me there.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

350whp is a maybe... 400 hp doubtfull on the stock fuel delivery system which we just about maxxed out on a 60-1 @ 8000 rpm. For anything past the 350 mark on an auto, I would suggest going to a return line setup... This way you will be able to increase the fuel pressure linearly as the boost rises...

Even if you get some ridiculously large injectors, you will A) have a screwy louie idle and B) lean out cylinder 4 bcuz the skinny fuel deliverly line will not be able to keep up with an injector bigger then 750cc...

Just spouting out some things that you might not have thought of, I really don't wont to come off sounding negative... But Im sure as you build the car and learn more about tuning you will eventually know what it takes to get to those numbers... Just trying to help push u infront of the learning curve...

Off topic... What would be nice would be two frankenstein the xD head onto the tc block... Obviously some impossibilities here... But all things are possible with money.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purevision01
You have to remove the cams in order to take the head off... also if u do decide to do the work yourself, you will not be able to check the time accurately as the timing marks are between the chain and the sprokets and only line up when the car is first timed or if your lucky you pull the motor when the marks are due to line up again (highly unlikely)... Also keep the lifters in the same order... Number the inside of the lifters as you take them out and put them back in the same order. They may be set to different thinkness to help keep the cam in close contact with the valves... Taking these out of order will require that you check the clearance again before torquing the head down or you will get some lifter tick... The head should be torqued down to 54 lbs ft plus a 1/4 turn in a star pattern, and the 6mm cam bolts are to be toqued to 80 inch lbs and the 8 mm should be torqued to 22lbs.
I also recommend doing the head first before the block as that is where you make the most power... Building the head allows you to run a highier rpm with out the danger of dropping a valve... Building the block is going to allow you you run more power safer and will not make more power on its own with out raising the compression...
^^^I could not have said it better myself!!
Forged internals don't "make power". They just allow a safe way to make it!

Pito
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i already have the fuel return system lined up to be installed.. aeromotive fuel pressure regulator is what im using, and i also have the walboro fuel pump laying around. ill prob get 700cc injectors aswell.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

400 is very posible on stock fuel rail 880 from dezod run some water metn or even a e85 91mix to get a little more octane walbro in tank its possible on about 14-16 pounds with a good tune but this is all in a stick that much wheele horse in a auto will need 3-4 more pounds as compared to a stick
Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
i already have the fuel return system lined up to be installed.. aeromotive fuel pressure regulator is what im using, and i also have the walboro fuel pump laying around. ill prob get 700cc injectors aswell.
Prefect... You're moving in the right direction... If possible check what fuel pressure youre running at before installing the new fuel system this way you dont have to hunt for a good pressure to run... Unfortunately every car is a little different in this aspect and may be off by a few psi.

Also, are you running a new delivery line as well and doing the rail, or are you just going to tap the rail, remove the stock regulator and run a return line?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i think ill be able to achieve the 350 whp runnin 14-15 whp with meth but only time will tell.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prefect... You're moving in the right direction... If possible check what fuel pressure youre running at before installing the new fuel system this way you dont have to hunt for a good pressure to run... Unfortunately every car is a little different in this aspect and may be off by a few psi.

Also, are you running a new delivery line as well and doing the rail, or are you just going to tap the rail, remove the stock regulator and run a return line?
im not sure if im getting a new rail or not. if i didnt get a new rail would i run into any problems?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really u think i rod would go? whys that. the f2 series turbo put down 260 sumthin wheel at 5 psi... it will produce higher numbers at lower psi than the t3/t4 i have in now..
As etsnet said: The rods will go at that power level (400hp). The amount of HP that a connecting rod can hold has nothing to do with the amount of psi the turbo is boosting.
When ScionGT35R had the stock engine we made 360HP on it. When disassembling the engine we found 3 bent rods.
Granted that he over-revved the engine a couple of times because of mis-shifts but it shows that we where running the stock rods at almost their maximum.

In your case it is worst because of the parasitic loses of the Auto tranny. In order for an auto tranny to make the same 360HP we made the auto will need to make even higher HP numbers at the flywheel.

Pito
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i c.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
400 is very posible on stock fuel rail 880 from dezod run some water metn or even a e85 91mix to get a little more octane walbro in tank its possible on about 14-16 pounds with a good tune but this is all in a stick that much wheele horse in a auto will need 3-4 more pounds as compared to a stick
Not so sure about that... 400whp power on an auto is something in the relm of 450+ flywheel. Thats asking the stock rail to flow 3x more then what it was designed for. With that said 450 hp requires specific amount of fuel rail can only flow 750cc/min then wat good will 880cc be? Of course you can add injection or exotic fuel mixtures, but how long will that last... Itll last as long as you have the mixture or fuel for injection...

Some people run mixed fuels... I am personally against this bcuz mixing fuels doesnt change the octane rating... Mixing fuels IMO is bad because it cause uneven combustion bcuz you are burning different molecules in the cylinder at the same time... Your A/F rations will be different every time the injector opens... E85 is an organic alcohol and gas mixture but it is only 15% gas... The gas is present for lubrication and catalyst purposes only.

As for injection, I believe is good for track purposes but bad for everyday purposes. What happens if your on the street and you punch it and run out of whatever ure using for injection... Pooofffff! Not sayin it cant be done, just sayin wat if... You could run 2 different fuel maps, but wheres the fun in that j/k.

Everyday drivers should be built so they can be driven every day without having issues with finding fuel for the car... If that wasnt an issue, everyone would run jet fuel and boost the crap out of the car lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mecanica_Pito
really u think i rod would go? whys that. the f2 series turbo put down 260 sumthin wheel at 5 psi... it will produce higher numbers at lower psi than the t3/t4 i have in now..
As etsnet said: The rods will go at that power level (400hp). The amount of HP that a connecting rod can hold has nothing to do with the amount of psi the turbo is boosting.
When ScionGT35R had the stock engine we made 360HP on it. When disassembling the engine we found 3 bent rods.
Granted that he over-revved the engine a couple of times because of mis-shifts but it shows that we where running the stock rods at almost their maximum.

In your case it is worst because of the parasitic loses of the Auto tranny. In order for an auto tranny to make the same 360HP we made the auto will need to make even higher HP numbers at the flywheel.

Total agreement

Pito
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well with meth u can turn it on and off. use it when racing and when just cruisin turn it off.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

350whp is a maybe... 400 hp doubtfull on the stock fuel delivery system which we just about maxxed out on a 60-1 @ 8000 rpm. For anything past the 350 mark on an auto, I would suggest going to a return line setup... This way you will be able to increase the fuel pressure linearly as the boost rises...
I agree again!
Even if you get some ridiculously large injectors, you will A) have a screwy louie idle and B) lean out cylinder 4 bcuz the skinny fuel deliverly line will not be able to keep up with an injector bigger then 750cc...
Did you saw this leaning on the tC with 60-1?
I recently found some lean spark plugs in cyl 1(cylinder 1 is the last before the FPR) in a tC with Turbonetics kit making 374HP. I was suspecting the stock rail was maxed and asked the owner to install a Golden Eagle fuel rail.
Off topic... What would be nice would be two frankenstein the xD head onto the tc block... Obviously some impossibilities here... But all things are possible with money.
What am I missing from the xD head???

Pito
Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not sure if im getting a new rail or not. if i didnt get a new rail would i run into any problems?
I would do the whole fuel system front to back and just go for the external fuel pump... You can run the stock fuel fuel with mods... But if you wanna keep it safe and only do it once, you should do it right. Thats my moto, is it urs? J/K
Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what would be on the list for doing the whole fuel system?
besides what i have.
Walboro 255 Fuel pump and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

pointing me in brand name directions is always a plus and makes it easier for me to find them.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mecanica_Pito
I agree again!
Did you saw this leaning on the tC with 60-1?
I recently found some lean spark plugs in cyl 1(cylinder 1 is the last before the FPR) in a tC with Turbonetics kit making 374HP. I was suspecting the stock rail was maxed and asked the owner to install a Golden Eagle fuel rail.
What am I missing from the xD head???

Pito
The xD has twin vvti, for those that dont know the computer can adjust the cam advance on both in the intake and exhaust cam, the tc has vvti only on one cam, forgot which one, but I believe it was the exhaust.

As for the 380whp tc... the car was tuned with 750cc injectors with a max duty cycle of 78%. Couple of fouled plugs during the tuning but no aluminum specs... Atleast not yet... The own changes the plugs every month so it is possible there is but just not leaving the plugs in long enough to allow it to deposit. Car was tuned to 11.7 A/F
Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what would be on the list for doing the whole fuel system?
besides what i have.
Walboro 255 Fuel pump and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

pointing me in brand name directions is always a plus and makes it easier for me to find them.
The list really isnt that long as you want to keep it as simple as possible... You will need a barb to AN or NPT fitting off the fuel pump, then probably a -6 teflon or braided fuel line to the rail with a -6 inlet, a -6 outlet fitting from the rail to the regulator (hose should be the same as what ever the fuel delivery line was as it will be under pressure as well), and then a -6 or -4 return line (this can be a fuel acceptable rubber hose, as it does not see pressure, so you can use a barb fitting with some clamps), and then then weld a fitting on the fuel pump access cover for a fuel reentry.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so thats it? for a complete fuel system? what about fuel rail?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so thats it? for a complete fuel system? what about fuel rail?
Gold eagle fuel rail, or a custom one if you know a cnc shop that will take that kinda job