Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Motor Build End-All Super Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

purevision01 what do you charge for a built shortblock? or your shop. I have been trying to find a place to get one but have been unsuccessful
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bumpidy bump need an answer :D
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nvm.. the gasket is good to go. ill post pics of my block and transmission soon
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
he used ferrea valves.

1 more thing. we put the 89mm head gasket ontop of the newly .20 over bored block with my 89mm pistons in there and it seems that it might not be big enough .. its really close.. when we lined it up perfectly it seemed that the piston MIGHT hit the gasket if its not 100% perfect but when u crush the gasket it might move. anyone no if they make a 90mm gasket anywhere? i feel safer going with the 90.
race engineering in lake worth.

http://www.raceeng.com/p-9054-mls-ga...0mm027-ea.aspx
Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What rod and main clearances are youguys running? Is .0025" too loose for high boost?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouldnt hit the gasket unless the block was decked... The piston from the factory is supposed to stop even with deck. So you shouldnt have a problem. Now if the piston height is a lot taller you might have a problem but i doubt it. Putting an over sized head gasket in there might cause the head to lift when in boost. IMO you should just put it together as is. If you still question it... turn the motor to tdc and see if the piston comes highier then the cylinder wall. If it does youll have bigger problems. Youd have to measure each cumbustion chamber to ensure they are all the same in volume. After that youll have to try and calculate what your new combustion ratio is. Good Luck
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is awesome.. everything you need to know
Old 11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RSracer
What rod and main clearances are youguys running? Is .0025" too loose for high boost?
Every car will have slightly different clearance.... That clearance should be maintianed when changing your parts unless you are going to a lighter weight oil... When going to a lighter oil you wont tighter clearances to maintain oil pressure. There are advantages and draw backs to running tighter clearances. 1 advantage is running a lighter weight oil which will reduce engine friction and netting a whp gain that can be seen on the dyno. But the one draw back is if the oil pressure drops for any reason, you are highly likely to spin a rod or main bearing.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump from the dead i know

anyone know what socket/tool is used to remove the cylinder head bolts?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible a shop can set my rings so that if i push a certain amount of boost that theyll blow? someone told me the shop i go to likes to make them really tight so i dont get smoke.. my tuner said he talked to the shop and the guys at the shop said something about not going to far past 16 psi.

im so angry right now.. wtf did i build my motor for if i cant pass 16 psi.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hmmm... ive never heard of that before. but they may have installed rings that can only take a certain amount of pressure/power...

about my question for the cylinder head bolt..

its a 12 point internal wrench bit, but i cannot seem to find out the specific size that it has to be. i think im just going to go to the dealer and have them tell me the size i need.

its something like this...

but im not sure on what size is supposed to be used
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tool is a 3 square M10 its similar to a torque but not exactly... Anyway you wanna get something really strong from SnapOn or Craftsman... You go cheap with the tool and it will strip and destroy the bolt, requiring an extractor... Also makes sure it is long enough to extend into the head... The bolts near the sprockets have very little clearance.

As far as your shop telling you how much boost they recommend... This can be a result of 2 things... Either the piston is not meant for turbo applications meaning the ring lands are set high ( for N/A apps) or they believe the fuel system will not supply enough fuel to keep up with the volume of air delivered by the turbo. Hope this helps
Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
is it possible a shop can set my rings so that if i push a certain amount of boost that theyll blow? someone told me the shop i go to likes to make them really tight so i dont get smoke.. my tuner said he talked to the shop and the guys at the shop said something about not going to far past 16 psi.

im so angry right now.. wtf did i build my motor for if i cant pass 16 psi.
Setting piston ring gaps are specific to the application... Setting they too tight will result in excessive cylinder wall contact, which will polish the cylinder walls and remove the cross hatching... This will prevent oil from filming between the oil ring the and cylinder wall and cause premature ring failure and the engine will smoke and create blow by over time... Setting the rings with too much gap will cause a loss of compression and increase blow and may cause the engine to smoke... Either way unless the motor is built to exact tolerances and spec you will have a problem.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by purevision01
The tool is a 3 square M10 its similar to a torque but not exactly... Anyway you wanna get something really strong from SnapOn or Craftsman... You go cheap with the tool and it will strip and destroy the bolt, requiring an extractor...
alright cool thanks. I'm gonna head out to sears and see what they've got. if they don't have anything I'll try snap on
Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

great post... good job
Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is a average cost if i am building my engine wih a shop and i have all internals. for example i have the bearings ans rods and pistons? so how much would a shop charge?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much ring gap do you guys suggest?

would a machine shop provide you with that when you get it blueprinted?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
what is a average cost if i am building my engine wih a shop and i have all internals. for example i have the bearings ans rods and pistons? so how much would a shop charge?
Generally a shop will charge 250-300 for a head and 500+ to do a bottom end.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
how much ring gap do you guys suggest?

would a machine shop provide you with that when you get it blueprinted?
Ring gap should be determined by the application and measured and confirmed by the shop doing the work... As for blueprinting - anything that requires a measurement whether it is weight for rotating assembly, bolt size, torque, or tolerances should be noted.