Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Supercharger Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
SL Member

read the entire thread very informative thx. i plan on s/c soon wanna make 320whp
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question for you guys, I have the 05 TRD s/c kit, what if i could get the 07+ blower(just the blower), would it be a straight bolt on or would i have to modify something? and would the 05 re-flash be cool with it(I'm sure that's a yes but I'll ask anyways), thank you for any responses.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

swapping the blowers would work
Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by g2autosports
Question for you guys, I have the 05 TRD s/c kit, what if i could get the 07+ blower(just the blower), would it be a straight bolt on or would i have to modify something? and would the 05 re-flash be cool with it(I'm sure that's a yes but I'll ask anyways), thank you for any responses.
The s/c mounting brackets are different between the two models, so you will have to swap brackets with the 05-06 s/c. If you dont swap them there is a few other changes to be made.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
The s/c mounting brackets are different between the two models, so you will have to swap brackets with the 05-06 s/c. If you dont swap them there is a few other changes to be made.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, now to find an 07 blower, he he....
Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 AM
SL Member

This recently just popped into my mind. I dont know if its a dumb question or not, or if its allready been mentioned on one of these 16 other pages, but:

Would the older model supercharger (05-06) fit on an 08+?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 AM
SL Member

Nevermind, I just found the thread for the 05-6 being put in an 07
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member

I have an 05 N/A that just passed 100k miles. Still safe to slap an S/C on her?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreshFish
I have an 05 N/A that just passed 100k miles. Still safe to slap an S/C on her?
I had 98K when I had my 1sy S/C installed, 3 superchargers later = I now have roughly 125K miles, engine still going strong.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Hey guys, I been reading this thread and its been very helpful. Great information. I had to replace my idler bearings cause they were bad. Now I want to replace the end shaft bearing. Its going bad. It makes a terrible noise at the higher rpms. Anyone know where I can find a diagram of the supercharger. I don't want to take the whole thing apart just the shaft. Any info will be great!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 AM
SL Member

This may be old news but I posted this recently on the YSTC forums and just wanted to show the guys with the 05-06 SC's that they may in fact have a faulty unit as there's proof in the pictures.
TRD apparently had Vortech redesign parts of the 05-06 TRD Supercharger including the shaft housing (which is now tapered on the ends), and the design of the way the shaft bolts to the supercharger and pulley side. The Vortech inspection stamp on the pulley side bearing housing shows that Vortech must have made some changes. However I cannot tell if they used higher quality/speed rated bearings in the new unit.
Name:  7-27-09153.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  64.5 KBName:  7-27-09159.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  94.5 KBName:  7-27-09152.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  76.7 KBName:  7-27-09155.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  89.8 KB

I recieved this unit via warranty and so far so good. Just thought you all should know about TRD's dirty little secret.
For those who are out of warranty and need a bearing or shaft replacement, I recommend tcsuperchargers.com.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I posted this back in April, here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161273

I asked around then if anybody else had seen that shaft before but no one had, now I see you have it too, well let me give you an update, since then I have had to get another S/C under warranty, the one I posted took another dump on me on my way back from AZ(this one only lasted abut 3K miles), out in the desert in 100 + degree weather, had to have the car towed to the nearest town in the middle of nower, had it sit there over night and then borrow truck rented a U-haul trailer and towed it all the back back to Cali to my dealer to have it sit there for over a month cause the S/C units were on back order since the no longer make them, finally got it back about a month ago and it seems to be running fine. They told me it was the bearing inside the blower that went bad, that's how it sounded to me too when it happened, the last one before that one had the shaft and the bearings go bad cause it just seazed up and would not turn anymore, but that's not what happened with this last one, it made a horrible noise and black smoke started coming out from my exhaust, so I pulled off the side and shut it off, so maybe the shaft survived but the bearing inside the S/C did not. TRD told my dealer that the one I got has the upgraded shaft w/bearings and bearings inside blower too, is that true? probably not , plus I'm still waiting for my refund on all of the expenses that I acurred while dealing with this entire episode, a monthe later and I still don't have my money , so don't get your hopes up on the one you have lasting longer then the one you had.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 AM
SL Member

I posted this back in April, here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161273

I asked around then if anybody else had seen that shaft before but no one had, now I see you have it too, well let me give you an update, since then I have had to get another S/C under warranty, the one I posted took another dump on me on my way back from AZ(this one only lasted abut 3K miles), out in the desert in 100 + degree weather, had to have the car towed to the nearest town in the middle of nower, had it sit there over night and then borrow truck rented a U-haul trailer and towed it all the back back to Cali to my dealer to have it sit there for over a month cause the S/C units were on back order since the no longer make them, finally got it back about a month ago and it seems to be running fine. They told me it was the bearing inside the blower that went bad, that's how it sounded to me too when it happened, the last one before that one had the shaft and the bearings go bad cause it just seazed up and would not turn anymore, but that's not what happened with this last one, it made a horrible noise and black smoke started coming out from my exhaust, so I pulled off the side and shut it off, so maybe the shaft survived but the bearing inside the S/C did not. TRD told my dealer that the one I got has the upgraded shaft w/bearings and bearings inside blower too, is that true? probably not , plus I'm still waiting for my refund on all of the expenses that I acurred while dealing with this entire episode, a monthe later and I still don't have my money , so don't get your hopes up on the one you have lasting longer then the one you had.
Damn, took the wind right out of my sails with that one. Well I'm just glad someone else had an experience with this particular version. Now I know what to expect. Interesting tho that TRD said that you got the one with the upgraded shaft and bearings. So maybe they did try to beef it up a little bit but I guess to no avail. Man I can't believe your going on your 4th SC, that sucks man. By the time my second one blew I would have just returned to NA.

Well at least the pulley side bearings and shaft (which are the most common problem spots) remained intact. But apparently now there's a new problem spot to keep my eye on. Well have to see. Thanks man.

Last edited by SciMeiji; 08-06-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
Damn, took the wind right out of my sails with that one. Well I'm just glad someone else had an experience with this particular version. Now I know what to expect. Interesting tho that TRD said that you got the one with the upgraded shaft and bearings. So maybe they did try to beef it up a little bit but I guess to no avail. Man I can't believe your going on your 4th SC, that sucks man. By the time my second one blew I would have just returned to NA.

Well at least the pulley side bearings and shaft (which are the most common problem spots) remained intact. But apparently now there's a new problem spot to keep my eye on. Well have to see. Thanks man.
Sorry to burst your bubble, my advice to you is, do not take long road trips, if you just drive to work, around town and occasionally track, you'll be fine, I'm not going on 400 + mile trips anymore after this experience
Old 08-11-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, i took mine on a 2day stretched 18hr road trip from texas to vegas and then back again and i didn't run into any issues. except for my car did NOT like the higher elevation and lower highest octane gas that was available.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
hmmm, i took mine on a 2day stretched 18hr road trip from texas to vegas and then back again and i didn't run into any issues. except for my car did NOT like the higher elevation and lower highest octane gas that was available.

My 1st and 2nd made it longs trips like that too, but a couple of thousands miles later started having problems, it was not always during the trip, keep an eye on yours and make sure you change the oil when time comes, hope yours keeps going strong.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove my '09 from Tulsa, OK to Manassas, VA, and it survived with no problems! I was worried about it the whole time! Mine doesn't have the beefy shaft housing.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

mine had a good 15K on the charger at least when i made that trip. has like 25k on it now. its an older version too, sometime shortly after the mounting bracket was redesigned.
i am overly conscious on taking care of it, all maintainence done at the dealer that installed it.

the only problem i really have with it is the tensioner shock keeps going out. i've had like 4 and this one is going out too.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
mine had a good 15K on the charger at least when i made that trip. has like 25k on it now. its an older version too, sometime shortly after the mounting bracket was redesigned.
i am overly conscious on taking care of it, all maintainence done at the dealer that installed it.

the only problem i really have with it is the tensioner shock keeps going out. i've had like 4 and this one is going out too.
I might be having that problem with the tensioner shock too, how do/did you know it was going bad? thank you.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a pretty gnarly rattle that comes from the pulley side of the engine that only happens when it is cold. as time goes by, it progressively gets worse and worse and lasts longer and longer and you can see it rattling down there.
it goes away as the engine warms up cause the gas in the shock expands until it finally it tenses(? lol) the belt enough for it to stop.
my tech has gone over everything several times and we don't know why it keeps happening. the assemblies we have replaced look good as new but it just too weak apparently.

TRD doesn't include an upgraded tensioner with the TRD kit, its the same as stock when you install the supercharger. there was an updated part number that arrived at some point (forget when) that replaced the old one, but it still goes out on me.

for me they last about a year ave? but this one has lasted longer cause i don't use the car hardly at all anymore since over a year ago.
lets see
the stock one went out really quick after the S/C install, the second was months after? i think, then the 3rd was 2 months after the 1yr warrantee on replacement parts, that was jan/feb last year i think.... my timeline may be wrong i am not sure, lol

then last summer i got a new daily and the tC sits in the garage like 6 out of 7 days, unless the weather is bad.

it rattles now but not nearly as bad as it has been before. come winter it'll be nasty once more. the colder it is the worse and longer it rattles.

Last edited by gjpjr84; 08-14-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Supercharger Information Thread