Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Supercharger Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

damn thats crazy, mine dont rattle but i have the carbon fiber hood that has the vent on top and everytime it rained my belt would slip off. then i went and got the updated pulley tensioner and now its fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds like the problem I'm having, now I gotta take it back into the dealer I guess, I hate being without my car
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
theres a pretty gnarly rattle that comes from the pulley side of the engine that only happens when it is cold. as time goes by, it progressively gets worse and worse and lasts longer and longer and you can see it rattling down there.
it goes away as the engine warms up cause the gas in the shock expands until it finally it tenses(? lol) the belt enough for it to stop.
my tech has gone over everything several times and we don't know why it keeps happening. the assemblies we have replaced look good as new but it just too weak apparently.

TRD doesn't include an upgraded tensioner with the TRD kit, its the same as stock when you install the supercharger. there was an updated part number that arrived at some point (forget when) that replaced the old one, but it still goes out on me.

for me they last about a year ave? but this one has lasted longer cause i don't use the car hardly at all anymore since over a year ago.
lets see
the stock one went out really quick after the S/C install, the second was months after? i think, then the 3rd was 2 months after the 1yr warrantee on replacement parts, that was jan/feb last year i think.... my timeline may be wrong i am not sure, lol

then last summer i got a new daily and the tC sits in the garage like 6 out of 7 days, unless the weather is bad.

it rattles now but not nearly as bad as it has been before. come winter it'll be nasty once more. the colder it is the worse and longer it rattles.
no gas in it, there is just a spring. When mine seized up, i took it off the engine and left it in a bucket of wd40 for 2 days. Ever since that its been fine lol.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostintc07
Hey guys, I been reading this thread and its been very helpful. Great information. I had to replace my idler bearings cause they were bad. Now I want to replace the end shaft bearing. Its going bad. It makes a terrible noise at the higher rpms. Anyone know where I can find a diagram of the supercharger. I don't want to take the whole thing apart just the shaft. Any info will be great!
my website tcsuperchargers.com has some info on taking apart the shaft side. If your bearings are bad, i would make sure the shaft isn't also damaged.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by g2autosports
Sorry to burst your bubble, my advice to you is, do not take long road trips, if you just drive to work, around town and occasionally track, you'll be fine, I'm not going on 400 + mile trips anymore after this experience
Worst enemy will be heat on those shaft bearings, no matter what trd does, those bearings will still eventually fail. The bearings in the blower itself are cooled by the oil and shouldn't ever be failing, but TRD strikes again.

BTW, i wouldn't trust anything TRD says, the big guy at TRD Bob Garner told me once, i see your shaft is damaged from overheated bearings on your pic, but the dealership says your s/c is ok, so I can't help you. I think these people are morons
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
no gas in it, there is just a spring. When mine seized up, i took it off the engine and left it in a bucket of wd40 for 2 days. Ever since that its been fine lol.
How hard is it to remove it? did you have to take out the S/C to do it? thanks for any info might do what you did as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How hard is it to remove it? did you have to take out the S/C to do it? thanks for any info might do what you did as well.
Its just held in by two bolts, take off the belt and then get the bolts off and it all comes off as one piece.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its just held in by two bolts, take off the belt and then get the bolts off and it all comes off as one piece.
Nice.....did you run into any annoying problems? like clearance? hands not fitting in there or something like that, thanks.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice.....did you run into any annoying problems? like clearance? hands not fitting in there or something like that, thanks.
of course, if your hands/wrench fit in there properly then it would be too easy ;)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

of course, if your hands/wrench fit in there properly then it would be too easy ;)
lol...ok thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you guys all run 91 octane or higher??
i know that is what toyota recommends but sheitttt, its hella pricey for a fill up
also, the main question i wanted to ask is.. the creater of this thread recommends using 10w40. I work at a dealership and our quick-lube bay has mobil one full synthetic 10w40... but its meant to be for diesel engines. would i still be able to use that or not?

the lube guys can't seem to gimme an answer. any help would be great
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ without a doubt you have to run 91+ all the time - no questions asked - if you are worried about the gas dont buy the s/c. Im being strait foward on this because its very important you do not run a mid grade gas due to cost. S/C's are $$ and when things break its more $$ - if gas cost is an issue, put an intake/header/exhaust and call it a day.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jiggadomino
do you guys all run 91 octane or higher??
i know that is what toyota recommends but sheitttt, its hella pricey for a fill up
also, the main question i wanted to ask is.. the creater of this thread recommends using 10w40. I work at a dealership and our quick-lube bay has mobil one full synthetic 10w40... but its meant to be for diesel engines. would i still be able to use that or not?

the lube guys can't seem to gimme an answer. any help would be great
Running less octane on a boosted engine can damage it, you may get detonation, engine know etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright. got the part about the gas.
what about the engine oil?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jiggadomino
alright. got the part about the gas.
what about the engine oil?
As far as I know 10w-40 is 10w-40 doesn't really matter if its meant for deisel or gasoline, the lubricationg system works the same way. Matter of fact vw deisel engines get oilchange way less than gasoline vw's. Like every 15,000 or something along those lines.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you guys that are S/C, what grade oil are you guys running? I live in Cali and I run 10W30, but it seems to get really dirty quick, like about 3K miles its nasty black, should I try running 10W40? I know in the winter time you need to run thinner oil, but right now here in Cali is anywhere from: 70-80 degrees, also I have 130K miles, so do you guys recommend? thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dude who created this SC fact/help thread uses 5w40 in the summer, and 10w40 in the winter. i currently use 5w30 as toyota recommends. T
he mobil synthetic 10w40 at my work says "for diesel engines" sooo, i dunno?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

** UPDATE: the production Dates May 2006 through April 2007 scion tc ecu will not be able to reflash back to stock map. learned it the hard way today. the dealership tried to reflash twice and failed. called up corporate toyota, the response was also negative. so the 07's are considered "2007MY" what ever that means.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ yea i have an 05 and it was bs. I found an ecu at a junk yard for $110 and then the dealer had to spend an hr looking at what had to be done to get the car to start (because they pretty much never would change an ecu so they had to look everything up)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sucks, well here is a question, im still new to the S/C thing, i got about 4k on my S/C its an 07, whats the typical life for one. I know that shafts n bearings will go bad eventually(saving money right now for shaft) but over all till it craps out. based on driving, i don't rev hard, typical city and highway, with the ocasional high rpm moments? Im just thinking this way because if and once my S/C fails for good, I might have to revert back to stock or just find parts to get my car going again. just preparing for the long run since trd bailed out on their product. any comments?

-this is my complete S/c setup i plan to have and that will be it for pwr mods.
*9.5 lb nst pulley and belt
*forge 007 diverter valve
*gompka shaft
*weapon R S/C intake

all other mods would probably irrelavent to the S/C. but yeah those. I have talked to gompka a little bit about my setup and can't wait to get all of it. Money is just an issue right now.

Quick Reply: Official Supercharger Information Thread