Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Supercharger Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This is copied and pasted from a site i found:

Fuel and air goes into the cylinder. This is ignited with a spark plug and goes bang. This bang generates heat which is transferred to several components including the spark plug. Several design factors affect how the spark plug "retains" it's heat. If the plug dissipates the heat from itself quicker than another plug, then it is a colder grade plug. If it dissipates the heat slower, then the plug is a hotter plug.

If you modify your engine e.g. increase boost pressures then the engine will run hotter. Therefore, the standard spark plug will run hotter as it can only dissipate so much heat into the cylinder head. Now consider a hot spark plug and a fuel/air mixture waiting to go bang. Normally, the mixture will ignite in a controlled fashion i.e. when the spark plug sparks, but as the tip of the plug may be too hot the mixture may ignite prematurely; resulting in detonation and maybe a broken engine. If you are lucky then only the plug will melt/disappear! (I've seen it happen).
Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
This is copied and pasted from a site i found:

Fuel and air goes into the cylinder. This is ignited with a spark plug and goes bang. This bang generates heat which is transferred to several components including the spark plug. Several design factors affect how the spark plug "retains" it's heat. If the plug dissipates the heat from itself quicker than another plug, then it is a colder grade plug. If it dissipates the heat slower, then the plug is a hotter plug.

If you modify your engine e.g. increase boost pressures then the engine will run hotter. Therefore, the standard spark plug will run hotter as it can only dissipate so much heat into the cylinder head. Now consider a hot spark plug and a fuel/air mixture waiting to go bang. Normally, the mixture will ignite in a controlled fashion i.e. when the spark plug sparks, but as the tip of the plug may be too hot the mixture may ignite prematurely; resulting in detonation and maybe a broken engine. If you are lucky then only the plug will melt/disappear! (I've seen it happen).
AWESOME, that's what I was looking for. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so wait you found an 05/06 sc at a dealer dude ive been looking for a year now my dealership has absolutely nothing for the sc
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ look for someone selling one on scionlife - put a post up if need be. You will find someone somewhere at some point that is selling one. This forum works in a few ways - either someone is selling what you need and you buy it or you wait around for a few months and you will see someone selling one. I had my blower in the garage for 4months and just waited till someone PM'd me saying they needed one asap. Put it in your sig and keep posting - someone will PM you out of the blue one day
Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my problem is that i drive an automatic... im having a harder time finding the fitment kit for the auto than the s/c itself
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in MD, i'm trying to get rid mine, selling the car soon..i got auto.

it's 05

TRD reflashed

w/ NST pulley 9.5 psi w/ gate belt 070890.

I got 2 belts..got the stock S/C pulley and belt too.

i'll trade you for ur stock spark plugs, injectors and belt, and air box + 400 on your end.

Let me know. Txt 240 601 2674 or email me @ mkhoid@hotmail.com
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ put that in ya own thread man w/ the right topic - this is the supercharger info thread
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Can a mod please edit this Information thread?

NO FULLY ATMOSPHERIC BLOW OFF VALVES- Will cause a lean setting when you shift, the MAF needs the air to recirculate back through it so it can get a proper reading.
This is completely incorrect statement. I added a Innovate wideband to my supercharger with a hks ssqv fully atmospheric BOV w/ bov adapter kit. At any throttle position the gauge will read 2 lower on the air/fuel ratio when the BOV goes off. This indicates a rich reading when the BOV goes off.

Example:While 3/4 throttle I have a air/fuel ratio of around 12. The blow valve releases air from the charge pipe and the air/fuel ratio goes to around 10 for a split second.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Catch Can Related
On the intake manifold you have a traditional breather hose that comes off the valve cover into the intake manifold. And another into the intake. Cap off the manifold and route your breather line to a catch can or back into the intake "I prefer a catch can to keep the intake assembly clean and keep buildup from happening on your intake valves and ports." Also oil vapor lowers octane which can cause your engine to pull timing and then a loss of power if it senses knock". The best part about fixing these issues is you will gain throttle response and I gained around 1-1.5 psi across the board which means I was most likely leaking a small amount of boost back into the intake.
anyone have any pics of where they put their catch can? i want to get some ideas for mine
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have mine under the battery tray, that's a good place to hide it of you can find a way to mount it.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
Can a mod please edit this Information thread?

This is completely incorrect statement. I added a Innovate wideband to my supercharger with a hks ssqv fully atmospheric BOV w/ bov adapter kit. At any throttle position the gauge will read 2 lower on the air/fuel ratio when the BOV goes off. This indicates a rich reading when the BOV goes off.

Example:While 3/4 throttle I have a air/fuel ratio of around 12. The blow valve releases air from the charge pipe and the air/fuel ratio goes to around 10 for a split second.
is this a true or untrue statement?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^I would not provide any false info. This has been fully tested on my own TC with a Innovate wideband gauge. A fully atmospheric bov can be used with the trd supercharger.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
^I would not provide any false info. This has been fully tested on my own TC with a Innovate wideband gauge. A fully atmospheric bov can be used with the trd supercharger.
Anyone who understands forced induction and how a bov works, and how that related to the position of our maf sensor will know that what b52hDUNN says is true. An atmospheric bov on the s/c will make you run which, but it will work fine and is safe.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gompka
Anyone who understands forced induction and how a bov works, and how that related to the position of our maf sensor will know that what b52hDUNN says is true. An atmospheric bov on the s/c will make you run which, but it will work fine and is safe.

How do i put a bov on a supercharger?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

lol hey sweet kinda glad i read this well some of u know but i totaled out my car last week and i went back up to grab as much as i could, wish i could of took he supercharger due to the fact it has gompkas shaft (no homo) and kik bearings but i was able to grab my bov setup and intake so this stuff will be for sell. pm if you have any questions. might do a supercharger start up kit which will include injen intake, plugs, hoses, bov, and throttle body spacer for 250. idk we will see
Name:  car1-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

and the start up kit is just what i own. i dont plan on doing and buisness on making more due to the fact i dont even own a scion anymore
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a quick question, i ordered ngk v-power plugs for my nitrous setup that i had to sell and was wondering if i would b fine running these with a s/c? they are 1 step colder. bkr7e-11
Old 01-28-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone tried an upgraded intake manifold to there s/c yet?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProMark
has anyone tried an upgraded intake manifold to there s/c yet?
I doubt that it would help any, don't think there is enough flow. Stock manifold is good up to a ridiculous psi level.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone actually enjoy having their SC? I found one for my auto 06, looking for some extra power, but turbo seems like a big headache. Can you really feel a good pull with the SC?

Quick Reply: Official Supercharger Information Thread