Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Supercharger Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

^ this thread is for information regarding the S/C... not when you ordered it. I'm pretty sure like myself, no one cares if you ordered it. This is made to help people with the S/C out...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry
Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

I'm just saying bro... don't threadjack something that is useful to people...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know.

NST is the only company that makes s/c pulleys right?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

^ yes, and you should sign up for the S/C 9.5lb pulley because we need more people. you know eventually you are gonna get it. so get it at the discounted price...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheres the list?

and i cant pay for it now, broke after the s/c AND install
Old 02-04-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, i realize that the supercharger wont be that efficient with a intercooler, but what would need to be done to get it to work???

also, i was thinking, what if i find like jut a single inlet so it would kind of work like a CAI, but instead of the cone it would be an intercooler.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You realize that the intercooler is basically a radiator, but instead of a liquid running thru it, air runs thru it. There would have to be two openings, otherwise, where would you get air into your engine? Also, the intercooler enters "after" you compress it (you'll see people go "technically it is an aftercooler because of this fact").

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo1.htm

In order to get the intercooler to work with the supercharger, you would have to run engine management and tune off of boost pressure, and also run a smaller supercharger pulley. It's not exactly worth all of the costs since the s/c doesn't super-heat the air quite like a turbo does. An intercooler should only be considered on s/c applications if you have the funds, tuning, and a high psi application.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you REALLY want to look into it, the best set up is an inline, water to air intercooler or water-methyl injection. but like imsono___un said its really not worth the work and no warranty unless you're runnin high boost.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

i was wondering that too. some guy told me at pep boys that i would need to do is get an intercooler and hook up one side of it to the intake of the supercharger and put a filter on the otherside. im not familar with turbos/superchargers but would that work. also has anyone found a key for the pulley on the 08 and are they all different?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

never ever listen to a pep boys guy again.

not only is it useless but would make things worse i imagine.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The point of having an intercooler is to cool down the compressed air. The section of the intake from the air filter to the input of the supercharger (or turbo) is not compressed and does not need an intercooler (extremely useless when located here). The process of compressing air creates heat. The air that comes out of the s/c or turbo is hot. This air could use cooling, and this is where you put in an intercooler. From the intercooler, the piping gets routed to the intake manifold. See picture a few posts above.

Putting a filter on one end of an intercooler and routing the other side to the supercharger is the equivalent of:

It's like a cold air intake, but by the time the air becomes compressed from the s/c or turbo, it becomes hot.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the basic principle for forced induction is to push more dense air (compressed air) into the intake. while compressing air heat is generated and hot air is less dense then cool air. so to create a more efficient machine a compressor must be combined with a cooler (cai and nos"really loose relation", turbo and intercooler, s/c and water-methyl). so when the air is compressed by the s/c or turbo it heats up, in intercooled turbo set ups the hot air from the turbo then flows through an ic where that heat it released through a coil like hot water in a radiator. the then cool air flows into the intake.

NOTHING before the s/c will cool the air into the intake effectively.

now the reason most people say an ic, at least an fmic or tmic, for a s/c set up is pointless is because the amount of plumbing needed to mount it up would create so much extra volume for the boost to fill that without a HUGE reduction in pipe diameter you will loose boost. the reason it works on a turbo is because you basically have as much boost as you want at the wastegate that the extra pipe doesnt matter where as on a s/c the boost is mechanically controlled by the pulley.

bottom line... if you can plumb a water to air inline intercooler($400 plus piping and difficult welds) be my guest.
the BEST(ie relatively easy and cheep) way to charge cool a s/c's boost is with water-methyl.

word to your mother.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just had a simple q....

but anyways.

i have 3 supercharged emblems for sale, check my sig.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Some official supercharger info:

If you get one, don't mess with it. I just had my third one warrantied!!! With out a warranty I would be screwed.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of bpv does anyone recommend and will they change the way your vehicle runs I dont want to have to worry about this running lean or idling funny or any other bs. Im looking for one that is similar in sound to a bov.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

listen to nick06tc, i'm on #3 myself.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

forge 007. As for intercooling ... Yes. compressing air heats it up. BUt its generally not necessary for a supercharger because it doesn't compress already heated exhaust gases like a turbo charger.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

more like uses hot exhaust gasses to compress the air from the intake.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 AM

true, the s/c is not compressing hot gasses, but. . .
1. the air entering the engine with be heat soaked from the temperature of the engine itself.
2. when you compress air, it will heat up

Adding the fact that cold air combusts better and more efficiently would confirm the need for a cooling source for performance applications.

you can do a meth setup or a front mount. either way your about the same if you consider the cost of upkeep for meth. and with a front mount, sure you might loose a psi or two, but its whatever you personally want to do. me personally, id prefer the front mount, cause ive worked with them before, and they look mean. but if meth is your thing thats cool too

Quick Reply: Official Supercharger Information Thread