Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

OH MY GOD!!! ONLY 160 WHP???!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default OH MY GOD!!! ONLY 160 WHP???!

i'll give u all a chance to save a life, because if no one tells me what tha f### is wrong with my car i'm gonna place my head insted one of the pistons...

guys, i drive a camry (i know i know why don't i go to the camry forums...etc)

i've made my own stage zero turbo kit, just like the ZPI's one... 5psi, no intercooler, no emanage or fuel system upgrades...etc only a catless exhaust system...

guys i don't believe this
160.52 whp <<<< OH MY GOD!!!!

WHAT THE F### IS WRONG??????????

160whp/5500rpm and 172 tq

i expected something around 205-220 . . .

there's nothing wrong with the clutch, the A/F ratio is around 13.1 to 12.4 (i know it's a little lean but it woudn't waste me 50WHP!!)

all the turbo pipes are similar in position to the other tc kits

so... what's wrong?

<< holding a gun up his nose with a tear hangin' on his eye
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

something isnt right. check all of your connections (pipes too) im no turbo expert but i think a leak could be the cause of this.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What turbo and where did you buy it?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: OH MY GOD!!! ONLY 160 WHP???!

Originally Posted by oldred

i've made my own stage zero turbo kit, just like the ZPI's one... 5psi, no intercooler, no emanage or fuel system upgrades...etc only a catless exhaust system...
Tuning related, and hence the need for fuel and engine management
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
something isnt right. check all of your connections (pipes too) im no turbo expert but i think a leak could be the cause of this.

there's no leaks, the gauge reads 5 psi
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

the ZPI kit doesn't need any tuning right? why do they get that awsome 220 whp??

i believe the camry carries the same exact 2AZ-FE engine..
Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tcengel

it's a t3-t4 hybrid
Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

the ZPI kit doesn't need any tuning right? why do they get that awsome 220 whp??

They DO require tuning, and it does NOT make that type of power. Did you ever notice most of the people who had one ironically ended up having e-manages and injectors? Not ironic at all nor coincedence. You CAN NOT expect to add air without adding fuel and adjusting spark accordingly.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Check make sure you dont have a VAC leak, are you rocking the stock exhaust still? Any idea what your car dynos STOCK?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

They DO require tuning, and it does NOT make that type of power. Did you ever notice most of the people who had one ironically ended up having e-manages and injectors? Not ironic at all nor coincedence. You CAN NOT expect to add air without adding fuel and adjusting spark accordingly.

They DID and DO make that power, without any management. Upgrading the spark though is pretty much essential. But why would you stay at only just throwing on a turbo and pipes? It wasn't because people ran into problems, it's because they wanted more. There are dyno sheets on here, and personal experience from people that verified their A/F ratios and power numbers.

But with that said, the camry's Ecu I would imagine would be different for that of the tC (could be wrong).
Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i can guess only one thing...your ecu is pulling timing like a ****...get a scan guage or somethin hooked up to that bad boy and see what the timing is @ WOT
Old 11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

They DID and DO make that power, without any management. Upgrading the spark though is pretty much essential. But why would you stay at only just throwing on a turbo and pipes? It wasn't because people ran into problems, it's because they wanted more. There are dyno sheets on here, and personal experience from people that verified their A/F ratios and power numbers.

But with that said, the camry's Ecu I would imagine would be different for that of the tC (could be wrong).
I don't want to turn this into a ____ing match, but you can't expect to make power by just adding compressed air WITHOUT adding fuel and adjusting spark. If you feel otherwise, you need to get some formal tuning training. (please do not take that as a stab; it is merely factual)

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
i can guess only one thing...your ecu is pulling timing like a ****...get a scan guage or somethin hooked up to that bad boy and see what the timing is @ WOT
The tCs average 18-22 degrees of timing under boost at 8 PSI or less from my observation.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I can say from experience that adding air without adding fuel will yield a gain, but yeah, timing adjustment is critical. My old setup had a greddy supercharger on an xB with stock injectors, went from 86 whp to 114, however I was running a 13.6 A/F ratio at the top end, not in my comfort zone. I added a fuel rail and injectors because duty cycle on stock was at 100%, coulnd not physically richen it up on the top end. With tC injectors, A/F dropped to 11.6 across the board, very safe and reliable but HP also dropped to 108. Looks like I need more boost.

Just adding air will lean out your mix and make power, at least until you detonate your engine. eManage is 400 bucks, less if you can find it used. is it a wide-band installed? if those A/F numbers are correct it isn't running lean, good luck and check with an experienced tuner in your area, or make a trip to visit Paul.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

I don't want to turn this into a ____ing match, but you can't expect to make power by just adding compressed air WITHOUT adding fuel and adjusting spark. If you feel otherwise, you need to get some formal tuning training. (please do not take that as a stab; it is merely factual)

It's not a ____ing match just passing along information from people who actually had and reported their Stage 0 experiences.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Check make sure you dont have a VAC leak, are you rocking the stock exhaust still? Any idea what your car dynos STOCK?
now i'm using a catless custom made exhaust

i don't back pressure would cause this much loss
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine

the stock dyno is 138whp at 5600rpm
similar to the tc i believe
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Well, I can say from experience that adding air without adding fuel will yield a gain, but yeah, timing adjustment is critical. My old setup had a greddy supercharger on an xB with stock injectors, went from 86 whp to 114, however I was running a 13.6 A/F ratio at the top end, not in my comfort zone. I added a fuel rail and injectors because duty cycle on stock was at 100%, coulnd not physically richen it up on the top end. With tC injectors, A/F dropped to 11.6 across the board, very safe and reliable but HP also dropped to 108. Looks like I need more boost.

Just adding air will lean out your mix and make power, at least until you detonate your engine. eManage is 400 bucks, less if you can find it used. is it a wide-band installed? if those A/F numbers are correct it isn't running lean, good luck and check with an experienced tuner in your area, or make a trip to visit Paul.

so you're telling me that an e manage will boost me up to that fine 220whp????
<<< finds it a little hard to believe
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel

it's a t3-t4 hybrid
Oh, thought it might be the Turbonator.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

guys what about an apexi and some 440cc injectors???
will that work?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tuning works miracles..

Quick Reply: OH MY GOD!!! ONLY 160 WHP???!