Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

oil consumption/burning with s/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
SL Member

Default oil consumption/burning with s/c

As some of you know my car has been in the shop literally 12 times now for the same issue. Each time they tell me nothing is wrong and can't seem to explain why I burn so much oil.

I can drive for about 100-300 miles and literally will be down anywhere from 1/2 qt. to 2 qts. low. I have personally checked every possible oil pipe/inlet/anything else and no leaks. My compression sits at around 205 at all cylinders. This has also been confirmed by the dealership. They even did an "oil consumption test" which is basically they tape up all the fittings/anything to do with oil and drive for 100 miles and check the oil. I guess they assume I'm draining the oil because they basically call me a liar in a nice way. Upon this b.s. test I was almost 1/4 qt low. They deemed it not a problem and sent me on my way again. I do realize boosted cars do burn some oil, my evo does and my previous boosted car did as well (granted they both are turbo). My question to the forum is, what should I do? Any ideas of what I should do/check? At this point I have already picked out a new car to rid myself of this fiasco I call my tC.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pull your plugs and check for blowby. IF you have no leaks your probably getting blowby. check your intake track, and your pcv system.

if you could post a pic of your plugs, that will tell alot. see if there all caked with burnt oil
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 AM
SL Member

will do so in morning with pics.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:43 PM
SL Member

sorry for the delay the wife had the digi camera. Here are the pics all the plugs look very similar. I have even gone as far as taking off my 9.5 lb pulley, and disconnected the meth.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the milage on those plugs??? those look like the plugs from my supra. i would chew through oil like crazy.

the funny thing about boost is that you can compression test the motor, do a leakdown, etc and it will all look good.

as soon as you hit it with boost the rings leak.

do you notice any power lose?
is there any oil film in the intake track.

does the trd supercharger feed off the stock oil system?

is your pcv system working correctly...

have you noticed your dipstick being pushed up a little?

I doubt you have a bore scope, but if you have a small pen flashlight look at one of your TDC pistons to try and get a look at it. I don't know where your losing oil from but i'm trying to help you narrow it down. if your burning that much oil the tops of your pistons will look like crap. so try and take a look just to narrow it down..

are you sure your not leaking from anywhere? what does your exhaust smoke look like? white, blue, black???
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
SL Member

the mileage on these plugs are roughly 5k.

I haven't really got on the car since I've noticed the oil missing. When I have got on the car I haven't noticed a loss.

No oil film in the track

The s/c feeds off the stock system

my pcv is working correctly

my dipstick hasn't moved 1 bit

I don't have a bore scope here at my house but I do at my job, I looked down at the pistons, they are very black and seem to have a crust on the piston itself, to the best of my knowledge the piston tops look normal, with the carbon build up.

I am absolutely positive I'm not leaking any oil anywhere.

As far as the exhaust smoke I have had a few colors, at first it seemed just a white smoke (when in boost) typically only smokes in the high rpm's ie. 5.5k+. Ive had a couple of buddies ride behind me to see they see black smoke now mixed with a little white. They do say its smells quite bad. Ive also had more carbon build up as of late on my exhaust tip. Hope this helps because I'm baffled.

thanks again

p.s. as a side note this s/c has burned up several cats..
Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the oil seals in the S/C could be leaking internally and that would cause you to burn the oil. if your not leaking oil, then your definatly consuming it. if your seeing black smoke your buring more than just gas and air.

I would invesigate the charger and conduct a leakdown test.

how many miles are on your motor? the tops of the pistons should stay relativly clean. they should be caked with carbon and buildup only after 2 yrs or so....

FYI... if you lose just 1 drop of oil per engine stroke through the rings, you'll consume a quart in about 500 miles. that is how important the oil seal ring on the piston is.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM
SL Member

There are roughly 21k on the motor. Ill do a leak down test tomorrow after work. thanks thus far on the help
Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Did you take your car to the dealer? Is this under warranty? I thought there was something in a dealer clause that if your car is there for a certain amount of time, that you would get a new car/the money to get a new car? Its something like that. Can someone shed some more light on this route if this may be something to look towards?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
SL Member

Ive taken the car to the dealer literally 12 times for the same issue. They claim this is normal, and refuse to to anything ::shrugs:: If I don't figure it out my tuesday I'm buying another car that day lol

The dealer never keeps it there for more than 1 day because then they will have to provide me with my rental.. so they do a ___ job of looking at the car then call me and say they found nothing.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Call Scion and tell them about this.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 AM
SL Member

I thought about it, but its to much trouble, its much easier just getting a new car lol
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
SL Member

Welp I had no time so I had a buddy take it to a tuner shop here and they spent 6 hours on the car today and found nothing wrong with the s/c. They have also come to the conclusion its the oil rings.

So how should I approach toyota with this issue?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem with my s/c setup. I was running the 9.5 pulley along with the Forge 007. Every week it would burn enough oil to the point of the where it was exactly 2 quarts low. It was strange because it was the exact same amount everytime. Furthermore, I also burned through a couple cats. After some testing I discovered my compression was horribley low - between 80 and 135 depending on the cylinder. After no concrete diagnosis it was suggested that the PCV gets stuck when ... ah, forget it.
I personally believe that this setup does not work and will not work without something to help ventilate the motor.
PM'd.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you able to put the stock pully back on?? are you 100% sure the PCV system is workin and there is not clogs, leaks, etc...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

How do you go about checking the PVC system?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was given the impression that it wasn't a really a situation where the pvc was broken or working improperly. It was more that it couldn't handle this particular setup very well.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u getting any blue smoke out of the exhaust...a puff on start up or a lighter steady at idle or open throttle have someone behind and see if they smell or see it...that first plug looks like bad news whats the compression in that cyl and it prolly will have a crummy leak down result too
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's most likely blow-by. I had the same problem, but installed a oil catchcan. It's the line on the intake manifold. it gets pressurized and blows by oil into the intake. Take off the intake tube that goes from the box to the s/c and check for oil in that...

Kind of bad illustration, but it should help you understand what im saying.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 AM
SL Member

To answer:

I was puffing a little blue but then it stopped. There is also still an odor I'm told, with the different odor I puff black in high boost when shifting.

2. The compression is 205 on all 4 cylinders.

3. I've checked the intake tubes 4 different times, all times were dry as a bone. I'm going to check it again tomorrow.

I ordered a catch can today, hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Quick Reply: oil consumption/burning with s/c