Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Oil filter sandwich plate adapters....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil filter sandwich plate adapters....

Hey guys I was wondering how most of y'all go about getting oil pressure for your oil pressure guages... I'm looking for different options because I've been using oil filter sandwich adapters and have been unable to permanently prevent oil leakage...

I first used an ebay adapter and when that leaked i dumped it and got a better unit made by Prosport. When even that leaked I realized the problem was that the diameter of the stock filter was too small to make a good seal. I found that WIX filter number 51334 fits the tC's thread size but is much wider to create a better seal with the plate adapters. That was fine for a bit but even this has started leaking. Its a very slow drip that is tolerable, but I would really prefer to eliminate it all together.

Have you guys found a sandwich plate that creates a more reliable seal or do you know of other ways to get pressure?

I would appreciate any help
Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been told the greddy one works well.

I had the glowshift one and it did not leak, but caused my gauge to read about 20 psi high
Old 09-14-2010, 03:16 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

it does read higher at the filter than at the original oil press sensor location. I think the later is more ideal to get a more accurate press going into the turbo.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Carlanga
it does read higher at the filter than at the original oil press sensor location. I think the later is more ideal to get a more accurate press going into the turbo.

^^ so what's your take on installing an oil pressure gauge in a tC that is currently setup as an N/A config. ? Taking into account the issues stated above by the OP in this thread. I may go F/I in the future and I know it'll be safe to do it on my tC as it's not my DD. It sits in a insulated/heated garage and gets modded.

Obviously knowing what your oil pressure is on a turbo setup is very critical. But IMHO I think even in a N/A setup it's never a bad thing to know what your oil pressure is.

this sub-question anyone with actual experience using any of the Glowshift brand gauges on their Scions... and more specifically in a tC please chime in.
Given that the OP in this thread was/is looking for options to try with the gauge issue. I figured that my post would keep this thread on topic. Looking for quality and reliable gauges.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
Hey guys I was wondering how most of y'all go about getting oil pressure for your oil pressure guages... I'm looking for different options because I've been using oil filter sandwich adapters and have been unable to permanently prevent oil leakage...

I first used an ebay adapter and when that leaked i dumped it and got a better unit made by Prosport. When even that leaked I realized the problem was that the diameter of the stock filter was too small to make a good seal. I found that WIX filter number 51334 fits the tC's thread size but is much wider to create a better seal with the plate adapters. That was fine for a bit but even this has started leaking. Its a very slow drip that is tolerable, but I would really prefer to eliminate it all together.

Have you guys found a sandwich plate that creates a more reliable seal or do you know of other ways to get pressure?

Use the greddy adaptor, we use it on our time attack tc. see link: http://www.ptuningscion.com/subdir/i...niversal%20Fit

It does not leak. The other option is to to a brass tee off of the cylinder head where the factory oil pressure sensor is installed. We also use the brass tee there to feed the oil to the turbo in our spec-ss turbo kit. However i would not advice mounting a heavy oil pressure sensor unit off of the cylinder head tee fitting since the weight of the sensor may break the brass fitting and that could spell disaster.

MrC
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x

Use the greddy adaptor, we use it on our time attack tc without any issues or leaks. see link: http://www.ptuningscion.com/subdir/i...niversal%20Fit

The other option is to use a brass tee off of the cylinder head where the factory oil pressure sensor is installed. We also use the brass tee there to feed the oil to the turbo in our spec-ss turbo kit. However i would not advice mounting a heavy oil pressure sensor unit off of the cylinder head tee fitting since the weight of the sensor may break the brass fitting and that could spell disaster.

MrC
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use the prosport one with oem oil filters and have no problems
Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichTc

I had the glowshift one and it did not leak, but caused my gauge to read about 20 psi high
It does. We sell quite a few.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichTc
It does. We sell quite a few.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh, just ordered a Greddy adapter.... so tired of spending money...

haha thanks for the recommendations guys hopefully this works better, I'll update

.......anyone want to buy a Prosport or eBay adapter?... lol
Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you just ordered a sandwhich adapter, but for those curious of other options; I just tee it off of the cylinder head. You can find the fitting at Home Depot and I think it's only a couple bucks.

Name:  DSC07993.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  142.4 KB
Used a little liquid thread sealant and I don't have any leakage.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

yeah im in the same boat. my plx sensor is big and heavy and i wouldn't imagine going off the cylinder head
Old 09-17-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skinnayyy
yeah im in the same boat. my plx sensor is big and heavy and i wouldn't imagine going off the cylinder head
What gauge are you using man? I thought you had the AEM one?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

i have a plx boost and oil pressure. i'm using my aem one for fuel pressure. more power coming soon, so i need more gauges!!! haha
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
Use the greddy adaptor, we use it on our time attack tc without any issues or leaks. see link: http://www.ptuningscion.com/subdir/i...niversal%20Fit
The Greddy adaptor fits the AEM oil pressure gauge without needing any additional fittings??
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
SL Member

As long as your gauges have 1/8 pipe threads you wont need any adapters. Which they should.

i have a defi pressure gauge and i took the easy/cheaper way out and T'd off the head.