Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

open or closed dump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a matter of personal preference. open it, close it, put it where you want it doesnt matter. some people think its annoying, i personally like the sound. took time to grow on me but when i stomp it and see the face of a rival light up with the WTF smile as i leave them i get a good laugh.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its always good to show the rival how he is going to get messed up...lol
Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Super street did a test on a H22 turbo setup and they gained 40 h.p. by having a open dump wastegate. Im cant remember how extreme their setup was but they did mention it would not pass inspection being open. Dont flame me for being wrong though because its been about two years since ive read the article.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

As far as to dump, or not to dump, it is a matter of personal preference and taste. Some tuners prefer the more advanced cleaner re-routing back into the exhaust aproach. This method tends to be more popular do to, it has a cleaner sound and tends to be more eficient. We have done many turbo kit installs on MANY cars, we have used open dumps and re-routed systems. I, and most people who understand the benefits/vs. the cons of a dump tube usually opt for the re-route method.
The dump tube is easier, and a more neandrathol (old school) method that was thought of to make more power. I have proven that theory untrue severall times. A car can be tuned more acurately with a re-routed system and it can also help with bost levels, boost spikes, etc. There is no real peak power gain either way when both systems are tuned right. it is a toss up. You "might" get a couple peak HP gain with the dump tube, on a dyno, but you will get a more acurate tune, better turbo efficiency, and batter usable hp levels with the re-routing method.

At the end of the day do what makes you happy, it is all a matter of preference.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just buy one of those open and close type of deals, for example: http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i think relentless aka my installer put it perfectly...by the way scott wheres the pic of my tc as ur icon...lol...real cool