Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

overall TURBO setup cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default overall TURBO setup cost

How much did you pay for your Turbo stage 0-1 setup with the necessary equipment?

Please post brand, stage, and parts you installed...

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've broken this down a few times.

you will need:
clutch:around $400
install clutch: about 700
set of 1 step colder sparkplugs: around 60
wideband o2 gauge aem:around 300
boost: up to you really
egt gauge: up to you again
stage 1 kit between 4 and 5 thousand between dezod, zpi, and turbonetics.
install:1000-1500
tune: 250 for first hour, 150 ever hour after that (according to p-tunning)

those are all the costs i can come up with tohave a perfectly turbo ready tc. but you should also upgrading brakes, suspension, flywheel and better fuel management with a pressure sensor, emanage ultimate and dezod black box.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I basically bought my tC to be turboed and to be played with by me! which means, I wont let anyone install my turbo except me and my friends... except for the damn turbo tuning

I'm more than likely to do a stage 3 or better clutch, lightweight flywheel, Stage0 ZPI turbo, new exhaust all the way, custom RAI, Emanage ultimate, high speed brake pads, and better brake lines, and just the other sensors/harnesses needed for the tuning.

Can my planned setup yield 250HP and about 260TQ?

I want to know how much boost can the ZPI stage-0 take?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty much any stage 1 kit will make about those numbers or more.

you don't want to increase the boost on a stage 0 kit above 6 psi because you will need an intercooler, bigger injectors and fuel management.

if you can install, more power to you, just make sure you do it right, fixing a bad instally will cost WAAAAAAAAAY more than having it installed right the first time. as for ram air intake? meh, i don't think you need it, all the turbo kits have their own plumbing and intake anyway, you don't get much more boost from a ram air intake on a turbo. but yes, exhaust is a huge power boost because it helps the turbo spool up more efficiently.

for brakes, i reccommend stoptech stage2 upgrade from trdsparks or dezod or whatever, lots of places sell it for the same prices. it has pads, slotted rotors, stainless steel front (front and rear for all) and dot 4 brake fluid.

if you going to do a clutch and flywheel, you should do an lsd while your there cause it will help you alot on launching and handling tight turns.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by forpinks
I'm more than likely to do a stage 3 or better clutch
I have a Clutchmasters Stage 3, still new in the box for sale.
I got it last year, but my needs changed and I bought a much stronger clutch.

This is the model I have.
http://www.hopupracing.com/clclfxstbahe1.html

Let me know if you're interested. I'll beat any price you can find.
Best price I've found is from Ebay at 445 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clutc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm in the middle doing a full turbo kit including clutch for under 2500$. i'l post a break down when i down. if you know what your doing a DIY kit can be put together fairly cheap. i'mn also a certifed factory trained tech, so i do all the labor myself.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

you don't want to increase the boost on a stage 0 kit above 6 psi because you will need an intercooler, bigger injectors and fuel management.

if you can install, more power to you, just make sure you do it right, fixing a bad instally will cost WAAAAAAAAAY more than having it installed right the first time. as for ram air intake? meh, i don't think you need it, all the turbo kits have their own plumbing and intake anyway, you don't get much more boost from a ram air intake on a turbo. but yes, exhaust is a huge power boost because it helps the turbo spool up more efficiently.

for brakes, i reccommend stoptech stage2 upgrade from trdsparks or dezod or whatever, lots of places sell it for the same prices. it has pads, slotted rotors, stainless steel front (front and rear for all) and dot 4 brake fluid.

if you going to do a clutch and flywheel, you should do an lsd while your there cause it will help you alot on launching and handling tight turns.
Is it a good idea to just get an intercooler and 550cc injectors? I don't want emanage blue since I want the ultimate for much finer tuning...

Where do I get the LSD, can I use the one thats coming out for the 2ndgen xB? And will this take care of the excessive burnout you will get with the extra torque?

Also what 0-60 times can I expect for 250HP and 250+TQ?

Thanks, I'm doing this setup only because all my friends have F.I.d cars,
05 STi stage 3, 06 X-Runner custom SC and N2O, even an N2O'd 94 EG6 with the strengthened Type R motor and tranny... I'm left out!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

you're still going to be left out running with those cars :-/
Old 05-19-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
you're still going to be left out running with those cars :-/
Atleast I'm IN the F.I. club!

And the EG6 Type R is not super fast... 240WHP and lighter than 2300lbs and I dunno but it feels like a motorbike when I ride in it.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you buy an lsd for the 2nd gen xb? we have a perfectly good trd one for the tc right now! and you can do a burnout on a tc wihtout an lsd, seen that in a video from rythmnsmoke.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

Is it a good idea to just get an intercooler and 550cc injectors? I don't want emanage blue since I want the ultimate for much finer tuning...

Where do I get the LSD, can I use the one thats coming out for the 2ndgen xB? And will this take care of the excessive burnout you will get with the extra torque?

Also what 0-60 times can I expect for 250HP and 250+TQ?

Thanks, I'm doing this setup only because all my friends have F.I.d cars,
05 STi stage 3, 06 X-Runner custom SC and N2O, even an N2O'd 94 EG6 with the strengthened Type R motor and tranny... I'm left out!
alright, it's kind of obvious you need to learn quite a bit before you go slapping a turbo on your car if you don't even know what an LSD is and all you're shooting for is a HP number, there is NO turnkey turbo and the first second the car doesn't start in the morning or gets a vacuum leak or one of the IC piping comes undone and your boost drops out you're going to end up standing there with your thumb up your butt. Worst case scenario could be you don't get an oil pressure gauge and loose oil pressure or not know how to read proper A/R ratios even if you had the gauges and that could cause disaster.

I'd recommend "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, it's a few years old but still fits perfectly to today's applications.

--sounds to me like you've got too much money to drop into the car right now and need to do some research before you go blindly into unknown waters, even if you have "buddies" who know what they're doing, they won't be there when you have to be at work in the morning and the car won't start.

and don't concern yourself with too much numbers, reliability takes presedence over bragging rights of what's on paper, if you can't drive it, it's just a paper weight. Horsepower and torque numbers are great and all, along with 1/4mi times and 0-60 times, but you're not going to be going out there and beating vette's, but if you really want to know, that would get you at about 6 sec 0-60, a 1/4mi of about 14sec, maybe down to 13.5 with slicks and good tuning on stage1 boost numbers.

also, upgraded brakes and an LSD aren't going to make you a better driver, if you don't know the limits of the car's performance and handling, you'll either kick ABS on or leave a bunch of smoke at every stoplight, so take some professional driver courses and join an autocross or track racing club so you can get some serious driving experience under your belt before you go tearing up the streets with your new turbo'd toy.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
I'd recommend "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, it's a few years old but still fits perfectly to today's applications.
+1

great book.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting the book when I stop by Barnes and Noble...

Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm getting the book when I stop by Barnes and Noble...

Thanks for the tip!
By George, THEY CAN BE LEARN'D'ED!!!!

really though, it's a good book, also "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" by A. Bell is another good one, but it's more of a broad range of why things work, whereas Maximum Boost tells you a little on why, and more on how.

to quote the Voilator from Spawn "Why ask why, when HOW is SO MUCH more fun!!"
Old 05-20-2007, 11:46 PM

My custom kit cost 4k and thats with me buying all the parts and having a shop do the install. It is getting retuned next week on 10 pounds. Looking for 375 to the wheels.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlindDrifter
My custom kit cost 4k and thats with me buying all the parts and having a shop do the install. It is getting retuned next week on 10 pounds. Looking for 375 to the wheels.
not gonna happen
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 AM

I will take the advice of a more eperienced TCer. What would you say it should put out?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^i dont think you could get to 375 to the wheels with only 10 pounds of boost!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck on that one. what type of turbo?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

10psi and tuned real well... I'd say 270-300 tops but there's a lot of factors and I'm guessing you have a emanage.