Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Overboosting Apexi AVCR

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Overboosting Apexi AVCR

Setup:
0.5bar spring on my Tial Wastegate
11psi spring on the Tial Bov
Apexi AVCR set to 0.6bar

Originally the wastegate came with a 0.5bar spring, but I changed it to a 0.2bar spring, because I didn't want to stress the engine until I had a better tune.

I got it street tuned, then I changed it back to the 0.5bar spring on the wastegate.

On the Apexi AVCR I set it to 0.6 bar, and I've played around with the duty cycle setting, and its overboosting.

The duty cycle is set to 20% which means its detecting boost 80% of the time (so it doesn't overboost )

Issues is, its overboosting, a lot
So what I did next, was turn off the boost controller, so the wastegate can do its thing by itself.

Yet again, OVERBOOST.

What I will try tonight, is physically remove the boost controller solenoid and see if the wastegate is working at all by itself.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??????
Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM

is your wastegate venting to atmosphere or are you redirecting it back into the downpipe? What is your desire peak boost?

Try the following:
-disable your boost controller or bypass the solenoid.
-test the boost off the wastegate spring pressure first.
-make sure the vacuum hose from the wastegate side bango bolt is properly connected to the compressor outlet fitting (no kinks or leaks). The top bango fitting on the tial wastegate should be open to atmosphere.

When you say overboost, how many psi/bar are we talking about? Assuming your wastegate is working properly, the amount of boost spike you get over your desire boost when you jam on the gas peddle is going to be dictated by how effective your wastgate is working (if off spring pressure only), i.e. the position of the wastegate relative to the turbo manifold inlet into the turbine housing and the exhaust port on the wastegate either to atmosphere (most efficient, but loud) or redirected to your downpipe.

Overboost can refer to boost spike or boost creep or booth. boost spike is when the boost goes past your set boost when you jam on the gas peddle. boost creep is when the boost climbs past your set boost as rpm increases--i.e. the boost continues to creep up as the rpm continues to climb.

MrC

Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Wastegate is venting to the down pipe.
The desired peak boost is 0.8bar
I disabled the boost controller, and boost pressure goes over what the WG spring(0.5bar) is, as the RPM increases.

I guess I have boost creep. It crept up to 1bar, really quick, and I let off the throttle.
I have a 3" down pipe, 3" s-pipe, 3" catback (no cats).

I'll pressure test it, if I find nothing, I'll try bypassing the solenoid. by physically removing it.

Right now, the top port on the WG is connected to "COM" port on the apexi solenoid.
The Side port on the waste gate is T'd, one going to the turbo vacuum source, and the other to the "NC" port on the apexi solenoid.

That leaves one open port on the solenoid (it has a total of 3 ports).

Thanks for the advice, i'll test it out today.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have access to a vac/pressure pump so you can see when your wastegate is opening. make sure you have good maniold vac going to the wastegate..

also if your inducing too much backpressure, you may be creeping.

when i had my supra, i was running 25psi on a 38mm wastegate. (67mm) turbo. it would creep to 30psi+ cause I was building to much backpressure in the turbine.

this is just an example.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I have a 44mm wastegate with a 0.5bar spring, do you think thats enough to prevent boost creep?

I don't have a vac/pressure pump, do you know a good place where I can get one?

I'll check all the vaccuum hoses tomorrow, hopefully I find something.

THANKSSS. =)
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is not boost creep. If it were maxing out the capacity of the Tial 44mm it would have done so with the softer spring also. My guess is a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. In particular check the lines going to the side port of the wastegate.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, def. not boost creep. a 44mm wastegate is very capable.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I was checking the engine bay, and I did find one thing.

The hose that comes out of the engine's right side, that used to connect to the stock intake, is venting to air right now.

I don't have anywhere to connect it to, since the charge pipe closest to the intake manifold has no port for it.

Could that be the problem???
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is likely the crank case breather and can simply be run to a catch can or put a filter on it. That is not your problem. Check the fittings on the wastegate. Since you took the wastegate out and apart to change the spring something tells me it is something in that general area.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
That is likely the crank case breather and can simply be run to a catch can or put a filter on it. That is not your problem. Check the fittings on the wastegate. Since you took the wastegate out and apart to change the spring something tells me it is something in that general area.
I hope once I find the leak and fix it, that my car won't have a weird idle anymore.

Hmm... is it possible that I already had the leak, when I had the 0.2bar spring on the wastegate?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

The problem was diagnosed.

A friend of mine opened the wastegate, and noticed the diaphragm pinched. After closer inspection, we noticed it was torn open, about 5mm.

Going to order a diaphragm, and replace it, with the quickness

So hopefully that resolved my problem, with the overboost, and hopefully my apexi boost controller can control boost properly.

Updates soon enough. Stay tuned.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I replaced the tial wastegate diaphragm. I was hoping it would cure the overboosting problem, but it didn't. I was really ____ed off by the time I got home.

I went online to tialsport.com and checked out the springs for the 44mm wastegate, because they are color coded. Under blue they have two springs. Small blue 0.5bar, Large Blue 1.0 bar. Guess WHICH ONE I HAVE?!??!

Yup, ONE BAR SPRING. When I originally ordered the spring it was supposed to be 0.5bar, and I remember explicitly stating, don't mess up my order, make sure its the 0.5bar spring. It wasn't Dan btw, I got it some place else.

So i'm gonna place the order for the Small Blue 0.5bar spring sometimes this weekend. I'll probably get it sometime next week, pretty sure that'll solve the problem. I'll post an update after I get/install the spring.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That will do it. Well at least you know the problem now,
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
That will do it. Well at least you know the problem now,
Yea its about time, lol, been trying to diagnose it for a while now.

Thank G-d its just that lol. I feather the throttle when it gets to 0.7bar, still fun to drive lol.

Install coming up in december/january, woot!

I'm going to the track tonight, i'll see if I take my camera, so I can post on youtube too =D

oh yeah check this out
http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php...29872676a25df3

I did my calculations and its 0.4ounces lighter than the NST, but its not underdrive.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to hear it was just the spring! I thought you had a different spring in your wastegate initially?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Good to hear it was just the spring! I thought you had a different spring in your wastegate initially?
It was supposed to come with the 0.5bar initially. I changed it out for the 0.2bar small yellow spring so it can be tuned a little. Then once the fuel was better tuned. I swapped it out for the spring that I thought was 0.5 bar.

I took it to the track last night for the first time in my life.
It was pretty fun. I think I might be leaking somewhere else or it needs a dyno tune.
I could definitely hear the car boosting, and the BOV when I let off the throttle. The apexi and the hydra are both reading boost properly.

Do you think the spark timing is the reason, why the car isn't fast?
I lost against a friend of mine with i/h/e, lol.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

[quote="ippskidder"]

Were you spinning all through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? That could be why. It could also be that it was your first time. I know I had a problem the first time that I would start to take my foot off the gas when it should have been planted to the floor.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

[quote="etsnet"]
Originally Posted by ippskidder

Were you spinning all through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? That could be why. It could also be that it was your first time. I know I had a problem the first time that I would start to take my foot off the gas when it should have been planted to the floor.
I was spinning in 1st gear, the 1st and 2nd time I raced. After that I got the hang of it. I think it might be a leak though, or the spark tuning or both.

I have seen some carbon build up in the engine bay which leads me to believe that. Pressure test, i know i know, lol.

I wish somebody could answer my question

Is it possible, if the fuel & spark map on an standalone ems are not properly tuned that it would make the car as slow as stock?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

So multiple problems have been diagnosed and fixed.

The overboosting was caused because there is a wrong wastespring installed. I have a large blue sping installed which is 1bar as listed on there site, the one I need is a small blue spring 0.5bar spring.

I also found a huge leak between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Around the gasket to be more exact. Retightened bolts + gasket sealer + hi temp exhaust repair bandages just to be sure theres no leakage.

Checked and cleaned all the spark plugs. One was fouled, cleaned it, good as new.

Immediately after turning on the car, I hooked up my laptop to the standalone ems, and corrected the AFR on the car. Apparently the exhaust leak + fouled plug were giving me a AFR reading that was WAYYYYY OFFFFFF. The actual AFR was 12-13AFR at idle. I corrected it immediately. Took it for a drive, was rich through out all the rpms. Did some light tuning of the AFR while in vaccuum to bring it closer to stoichiometric (14.7), runs so much better now, my G-D!

After that, I did some runs on the high way, checked out AFR while in boost. AFR of 10-11!!!! overly rich. It fixed it so its around 12AFR instead. Checked for leaks again, none to be found. No smell of carbon monoxide from the engine bay anymore, which is great!

Gonna send my new datalog to hydra guru =) and see if he can clean it up a bit more. So will post again soon with more updates. WOOT!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

So let me sum up whats happens since my last posting. The gasket between the turbo/exhaust manifold was blown.

I finally replaced it this past week. Also installed samco radiator hoses, trd thermostat, front motor mount, diversion panel, oil catch can, exhaust wrapped down-pipe, s-pipe, manifold, ss brake lines, nst pulley set.

DEFINITELY NO LEAKS NOW, with the new gasket. Also its seems i've been running with one of the injectors clips half pushed in. Not sure if that means i've been running on 3 cylinders instead of 4? or if it was working, and it was just getting a horrible signal?

Either way. Its a beastttttttttttttttttttttt now. No leaks. I'm pushing 7psi now. No clamps fell off. I still have to get used to the new found horsepower.

I'll datalog/street tune it tonight, to make sure the afr is fine. I think its running about 11-11.5 afr. I'm thinking of leaning it out to 12afr. Also have to check the knock voltage and water temps.

Should be really fun tonight. Big things for 2008 *wooot*

Quick Reply: Overboosting Apexi AVCR