Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Overhaul on S/C Questions update *new questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Overhaul on S/C Questions update *new questions

I finally sucked it up and decided to go f/i i am going to get a used TRD S/C and i am probably not going to have my dealer install it considering they won't because it is used anways so now i have some questions
** i know what you are all going to say SEARCH! which is what i did and these are a collection of questions that i have for the setup i want to go with i also want other people to be able to use this who are on their way to going f/i i want this to be more of guide that i think has enough questions about a general f/i setup instead of having to look all over like i did majority of the questions i have are on the safer side. i am all about the peace of mind so the mods i plan to do i would like to try and stay as safe as possible

if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask or if you would like me to add it let me know i plan on updating this as i think of new questions.
they are going to be numbered so if you want to answer just put the number in front of it

1. the s/c i am getting comes with an intake but will i run lean the car will be tuned with either TRD or some other ecu?

2.Which ecu would be better for 220-260 whp TRD or Unichip? (i also may have a aem ecu that i might be able to pick up i will update it when i find out which one it is)

2a. which would be safer for the car so that the car is running more like a f/i car instead of a n/a car with a bolt on?

2b. what do you guys think is the best ecu for the supercharger

3. I have a set of DC headers on my car and i plan on keeping them...should i wrap them?

4. Which bpv is the best for the s/c to get max boost and a cool sound i kind of want one that sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qgylMVrdw
this person is a member on here and if you know who it is don't just blurt it out i don't want to make any enemys on here by using their video thanks

5. What does EGT mean/do?
5a. Would it be worth it to get an EGT gauge with the s/c? (hearing more for turbo)
6.Any bearings or pulleys or belts i should change before installing or watch out for problems? (kind of an open ended question answer what you would like)

7, Does it use the stock belt or should i pick up the gates one? (since its used)

8.Should i change the sparks to the denso ik24s (since its used)

9. Is a catch can recommended?

10. I read that for oil i should run 10w40 for summer and 5w40 for the winter or can i just stick to 5w30?
10a. Also should i use those oils to help slow down any leaking?

11. is there any recommended maintenance beside changing the oil and checking it like all the time? lol

12. what kind of gas should i use with the s/c i live in new york and 93 octane is that highest (and most expensive obviously 3.44 a gallon ) or would i be good with 91? (also considering the mods i am doing)

13. which brand of gauges would be the best for our cars like accuracy and stuff?
13a. also if i bought gauges that someone else had in a different kind of car what would i need to make it work for the tc?
13b. if i bought this gauge what would i need to make it work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTOM...spagenameZWDVW

MODDING Questions/choices

1. Going with the nst 9.5 pulley

2. relates to question 4 where can i get that kind of bpv? again want to retain my boost level i hear the forge 007 would be the best one

3. going to get gauges to monitor the s/c so i don't damage anything i know they wouldn't be neccessary on a stock s/c but mine won't be stock lol.
3a. i was going to get oil pressure, boost, and a wideband
looking to find what would be the best brands for the $ also what about the zeitronix one i have been reading about because if i can avoid gauges that would be cool too but it doesn't really bother me

so far thats it i have another list somewhere i just can't find it....when i do i will post those questions as well thanks guys!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow those are a lot of questions... I am going to answer the ones I can from my own experience with the s/c.
Remember that you need to have your ecu reflashed when you go s/c; if you don't you should blow your engine... Since yours is used you either install at a toyota dealer and they will flash the ecu, or you can send it to get reflashed (I think trdsparks) charges you a little more than $100 to reflash it.
1. If you put a cold air intake you should have your car retuned with a piggy back or a full ems.
2. You can get 220whp with a 9.5psi pulley, header, s-pipe, exhaust and upgraded bvp. No need for retune but you will be safer and run more power if you retune.
2a. Closest to stock would be a full ems
2b. AEM EMS
3. Wrapping them can't hurt...
4. Forge 007 to get max boost; sound is a little bit louder than stock... but no where near a BOV sound
7. the s/c comes with a new belt. If you put a 9.5psi pulley you should get a Gates belt...
8. I run 2 step colder spark plugs..
9. Catch can cant hurt... From what I hear, most people built boost earlier around the powerband when they add the catch can
10. I run full syntethic 10-30 here in FL
11. Vortech reccomends cleaning the oil inlet ever 3k I think, TRD says maintance should be the same as stock...
3. At least a boost gauge so you know if you got leaks etc...
Hope this helps; keep in mind this is just my opinion....
Old 12-25-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool thanks for the info I am waiting for some more answers I figure no one is really checking SL considering the holiday so yea I still am trying to figure out what the aem ecu is
Old 12-26-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 12-26-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 12-26-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wanted to add something, unless you plan on getting an AEM standalone system (lots of money), it's best to get your ecu the s/c reflash by TRD and THEN tweak it with a piggy back. Otherwise, your going to be spending much more time tuning it to where it would be with the TRD anyways.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so ur saying turn it into a f/I car first and then tune it so that the ecu reads as a f/I car instead of just throwing boost at the motor and stressing it w/out the ecu being ready for it...good idea now when I have it installed should I bring it to get flashed nd then bring it back to my installer to have it tuned? (toyota won't b doing it)
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

i wont answer all the questions because it's alot. but here is some basic knowledge that i have picked up from reading many S/C threads...

1. Get the TRD Tune. If you need to pay for it, do it. It's a safe tune, and probably a good starting point.
2. If you have an intake with the S/C, probably be best to get an Air/Fuel gauge to make sure you aren't leaning out. Especially with the TRD Tune. I have read the 9.5lb pulley works fine with the TRD Tune, and since you only have an intake, it might work fine too since you aren't raising the boost. (don't quote me!)
3. After you get the TRD tune, get a piggyback. Alot of the people had the Greddy E-Manage Blue, or even Ultimate. But the new one to get is the AEM F/IC. That's what I will be getting soon too.
4. Your headers are already ceramic coated, so you might not need to wrap them. Someone like me, who has the Megan Racing Headers with are all stainless out of the box, would probably be better off with jethot-ing them or even wrapping them. But I'm going with jet hot.
5. You don't need an EGT gauge. Turbo's benefit more from it. I would suggest a boost gauge and Air/Fuel (especially after tuning)
6. For the BOV sound, I think BrownDogg customized it to be like that. Might want to hit him up on here to find out how he did it. If not, the Forge 007 is the best way to go.

I hope this helps...
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=
7. the s/c comes with a new belt. If you put a 9.5psi pulley you should get a Gates belt...[/quote]
my question is..does it matter if i use the gates belt or not? cause i used the stock belt and just tighten the stock belt up more instead of putting on the gates belt.. should i have changed it to the gates belt or what i did is fine? doing what i did is it harming anything oor loosing power or so? thanks!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well other belts slip that's y I am going to go with the gates the stock one should b ok but I might not be strong enough (dont quote me on that) but I think a belt is a belt
Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IcetC
so ur saying turn it into a f/I car first and then tune it so that the ecu reads as a f/I car instead of just throwing boost at the motor and stressing it w/out the ecu being ready for it...good idea now when I have it installed should I bring it to get flashed nd then bring it back to my installer to have it tuned? (toyota won't b doing it)
you could simply take out the ecu and bring it to the dealer to get the reflash as the s/c is being installed. i wouldnt recommend driving it without the reflash. afterwards, you can get it tuned. the TRD reflash is a good starting point instead of going from scratch which would probably cost more money in tuning time.

[quote=m6ar2cel6oTC][quote=
7. the s/c comes with a new belt. If you put a 9.5psi pulley you should get a Gates belt...
my question is..does it matter if i use the gates belt or not? cause i used the stock belt and just tighten the stock belt up more instead of putting on the gates belt.. should i have changed it to the gates belt or what i did is fine? doing what i did is it harming anything oor loosing power or so? thanks![/quote]

you may experience belt slip, which means you wont be reaching max boost (meaning less power). the gates belt isnt necessarily stronger or anything, it just fits better.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that BPV/BOV sounds sweet. wonder if he got a CEL from running that.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can I use the reflash more than once bc the one I am getting has already been used
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it's already been reflashed then you should be good to go. just be positive it's already been reflashed.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

y what's happens if it hasn't alredy been reflashed?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boom!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
if it's already been reflashed then you should be good to go. just be positive it's already been reflashed.

I believe he's asking if a reflash module from a supercharger kit that was installed on a different vehicle can be used on his vehicle. Basically someone had a supercharger kit installed on their vehicle, decides to sell the kit to another person. The other person buys that used kit with the module that had already been used by the previous owner of the s/c kit. I believe what he's asking is covered in this post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186540
Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well people are just saying that it doesn't work...i can say a lot of things is there any real proof or reasons y it wouldn't work b/c i hear of people buying used s/c's all the time
Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I know is that you should reflash your ecu when you go s/c....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

YOU NEED THE TRD REFLASH! do not risk it.

The reflash tool is a one shot deal. If the guy selling you the s/c is keeping his reflashed ecu then you will have to buy the reflash tool which is about 500. or get his reflashed ecu and do garage 2117 bypass method. I bought a used s/c from someone who gave me the reflashed ecu with it and did the bypass method.

Quick Reply: Overhaul on S/C Questions update *new questions