Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

P-tuning kit hits the streets of Delaware Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default P-tuning kit hits the streets of Delaware Pics inside

As the title states, here is a P-tuning turbo kit Matt (1slowtc) and I installed for a local customer.

P-tuning Spec SS Turbo Kit
P-tuning 3” Exhaust
ES Motor mounts
Clutchmasters lightweight flywheel
Clutchmasters Clutch
Gauges
AEM F/IC

Before I post up some pictures, I would like to discuss the phrase “bolt on” In my opinion, a bolt on turbo kit should fit a car without any modification. This kit did this, but we ran into a little problem. Nowhere on P-tunings website, or the instruction manual did it say that the turbo kit would not fit a stock exhaust. Well, we found this out the hard way. After talking to them on the phone, we either had to buy the p-tuning exhaust, or modify the stock one to fit. This in my opinion makes the kit not a bolt on kit, and the customer had to spend an extra amount of money that was easily avoidable. Why not just include the exhaust with the kit? At least he had some extra money, and was able to order the exhaust.

Also lucky enough that this happened, I asked about the new wastegate being used. Toan informed me that the manifold and wastegate they sent was prone to boost creep. If I didn’t ask this, would they ever have contacted the customer saying that their manifold/wastegate set up was faulty? Who knows? But thanks for sending us all the correct stuff, and clearing everything up.

One last thing I have to say about the kit. No vacuum manifold? Really? My base dezod s1 kit came with one, and the kit was half the price. It seems that they are any normal company though, and trying to get the customers to buy their new products, and make a profit.

Besides all that, everything fit like a glove and was over all very good quality. We have the car sitting at 14.7 idling, but seeing that there is 4 inches of snow on the ground, tuning will wait until next weekend. Stay tuned for dyno numbers after the clutch break in period.

Pics:

Box of Parts

Manifold(old style)/turbo/wastegate(old style)

Manifold

New Wastegate

Transmission

Clutch

Matt and I putting up the IC pipes

More pictures to come later.

Last edited by bdis3; 02-01-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

said 4" of snow. My car as an example.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I didnt frequent the forums, I wouldnt have known. And he didnt have a stock exhaust. aftermarket, but stock location.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice that you guys got it all on. What stage clutch is that? What are the expectations for the WHP numbers?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We're just gonna tune him on spring pressure (7psi) until he gets used to the car. Then were gonna hook up his boost controller, and see what this P-tuning kit can do.

Clutch was a Clutchmasters 6 puck
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds good. I bet levi is super excited! That clutch break in crap sucks so bad!!. Just got done mine like 2 weeks ago and now im loving it!
I guess if you want to break the clutch in Matts way it wont take long at all!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are doing the recommended 500ish miles. He is so excited. Next weekend will be a lot of fun. Clean up the Vacuum lines, tune, then fun will be had.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
If I didnt frequent the forums, I wouldnt have known. And he didnt have a stock exhaust. aftermarket, but stock location.
Bdis,

Believe it or not, of all the kits we've sold, you're the first customer/installer that has questions why it does not fit the stock exhaust system. If you had read the description on our website, it states, the following:

"Full 304SS 3" v-band downpipe. The downpipe is designed to bolt directly to our Ptuning 3" exhaust system (either turbo-back or s-back)."

But just to clarify we added the following note:

The downpipe that comes with the Spec-SS turbo kit will NOT work with other exhaust systems without modifications.

90% of our customers that order our turbo kit also orders our 3" s-back exhaust sytem and pre-tap oil pan. So yes it can be a "bolt-on" system. We went to great lengths to offer optional components to make the turbo kit install a simple as possible. We're not the only one that offers a turbo kit with a 3" downpipe but unlike the other kit, at least we offer a complementing exhaust sytem that's true 3" and allow it to bolt right up to the 3" downpipe in the turbo kit without any fabrication.

It's pointless to offer a turbo kit with a 3" downpipe that steps down to 2.25" just to connect to the factory exhaust. That step down to 2.25" just cost you all the power potential of our turbokit.

I don't know of any turbo kit for the tc or otherwise that includes a vacuum block. First off our vacuum block was not offer at the time we released the turbo kit and those kit that does include one now was added in afterwards.

But besides all that, i hope you like the fact that everything fits without any modifications or hacking up of the kit components to make things fit.

MrC
Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I called and talked to a salesman, and he stated it would fit the stock exhaust. I told him no way so eventually I was referred to toan. Not bashing you one bit, but before I made the call to you last monday, what you have highlighted in red was not on the website. Toan even said it wasn't

Of course 90% of your customers will run your exhaust. Considering its the only direct bolt on option. I know running a 3" DP to a less than 3" exhaust is not the best possible way to do it, but the customer did not have the funds for the exhaust in his budget. Either way, it all worked out, everything fits fine, and he is a happy customer. That is all that matters.

-Bryan

Last edited by bdis3; 02-01-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
Well, I called and talked to a salesman, and he stated it would fit the stock exhaust. I told him no way so eventually I was referred to toan. Not bashing you one bit, but before I made the call to you last monday, what you have highlighted in red was not on the website. Toan even said it wasn't

Of course 90% of your customers will run your exhaust. Considering its the only direct bolt on option. I know running a 3" DP to a less than 3" exhaust is not the best possible way to do it, but the customer did not have the funds for the exhaust in his budget. Either way, it all worked out, everything fits fine, and he is a happy customer. That is all that matters.

-Bryan
Bryan,

you are correct the "red" note was added recently. but the description about it bolting to our 3" exhaust has always been there. Anyways, glad everything worked out in the end.

MrC
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
Bryan,

you are correct the "red" note was added recently. but the description about it bolting to our 3" exhaust has always been there. Anyways, glad everything worked out in the end.

MrC
Well it should bolt to your exhaust. But, it was what was not written (will not fit stock exhaust) that F'd everyone up. Our customer really liked his exhaust on his car, not he had dish out extra un-foreseen money to finish his car. Who are you to say that the customer is wrong for wanting to use a exhaust system besides your own.

This was not meant to be a bash thread. Customer is happy, but there were some different circumstances that had to be delt with. Please dont blow this out of proportion. Companies these days can not take constructive criticism from a client who spent thousands of dollars with them.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

nice.. good luck with boost.

oh i dont think decendant kit is close to what the ptuning kit has, the only thing I like about the decendant kit is the manifold.. other than that its pretty much like DIY kit, nothing more special.. thats just my IMO
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha the white one is mine Bobby. The owner isn't on SL, but he said we should post it up anyway. But hopefully I'll get some better shots tomorrow night and soon some dyno numbers.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i think this is one of the first manifold out with a 45mm turbosmart wg, maybe you wanna give us some updates how well it combat boost creep
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

He wasn't the first^^^^^^
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
i think this is one of the first manifold out with a 45mm turbosmart wg, maybe you wanna give us some updates how well it combat boost creep
I think Bobby has one. And possibly Kurt too.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yup mine was the first. ;)
after mine held they fabed it up on kurts
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't put the polished pipes on my car, but on his they actually look good. Surprised me.

And everyone stop going crazy over Cobalt's comment. Last time I checked, he had and opinion too. For what he is doing with his car, the Descendant kit is perfect for him, if he goes with a pre-made kit.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
The new manifold encorporates not only a high flowing 45mm wg but the wastegate tube off of the merge collector has a teardrop design in it to help enhance wastegating of the exhaust gases.

There should not be any creeping issues with the new setup even down to 7psi on the 57 trim.

For those customers that have spent the extra savings to purchase our spec-ss turbo kit along with our 3" s-back exhaust system, keep in mind that the extra expense will be worth every penny.

With our base kit and 3" exhaust system, you can expect 275whp-300whp at 8-9 psi. Add our return style fuel system and tune to 14psi and you can expect 340-355whp. add built short block with low compression piston and our 900cc injector and tune to 20psi and expect 400+whp. Add a larger turbo like a gt35R with our pnp wmi, tune to 25psi and you'll see 550whp.

Our turbo kit is definitely not the cheapest out there. but you get what you paid for and it's fully upgradeable without having to buy a completely new kit just to get to the next power level.

And if anyone tells you that you can make 500+whp flowing through a stock 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust, well...they're just trying to make a sale.

MrC
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
And if anyone tells you that you can make 500+whp flowing through a stock 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust, well...they're just trying to make a sale.

MrC
well put

Quick Reply: P-tuning kit hits the streets of Delaware Pics inside