Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PCV on 2AZ-FE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 AM

Default PCV on 2AZ-FE

So since the tc motor is technically supposed to be N/A that means when you make it forced induction, the rear pcv gets shut when your boosting .... would this cause the crank case not get vented properly?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Banned
SL Member

shouldnt be a problem if u route the other breather thats on the drivers side of the valvcover back into the intake pipe of your turbo
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from experience, ditch the pcv and route it to a catch can along with the other hole in the valve cover then route a line from the intake of the turbo to the catch can or just to atmosphere. if your pcv fails somehow and u get boost in your head, your turbo is toast.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I think there should be an equilibrium between the rear pcv and the front breather. If the fitting you put on the valve cover is much bigger than the little hole in the fitting in the front breather, then all the crank pressure will go out the larger hole where the rear pcv used to be, causing an excessive amount of oil build-up in the catch can. For example if you unscrew the oil cap, you get super oily air coming out while the front beather and rear breather are now defunct.

1.So maybe we should leave the rear pcv as is so it still works on idle.
2.Make a fitting in the oil cap the same size as the little hole in the front breather.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have my pcv there and a breather on the valve cover lol
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
i have my pcv there and a breather on the valve cover lol
Do you get any puffs of smoke when you take your foot off the gas after boosting? .... It must smell like crap when your a/c isn't on recirculate.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

dude its an easy fix run the front breather to the intake side..=...in boost ur turbho will be sucking out at full force so there wont be pressure in crank case unless the rear pcv fails and lets boost in....

if u wanna be worry free the just run both breathers into a catch can and then the catch can to the intake... drain the catch can every 2 weeks back into the motor
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
from experience, ditch the pcv and route it to a catch can along with the other hole in the valve cover then route a line from the intake of the turbo to the catch can or just to atmosphere. if your pcv fails somehow and u get boost in your head, your turbo is toast.
This is probably what we will do. The problem is that rear pcv if you leave it in, sure it closes when your in boost, but thats the problem you loose that extra vent for crank pressure. In an na car that pcv never really closes because you never build pressure in the manifold, your either in vacuum or at atmospheric. Thats why we are thinking we are getting smoke when letting off the gas, only when letting off the gas after being in boost. And if you look on youtube, most other turbo tc's do it also. Routing both of those to a catch can and then routing catch can to intake before turbo would be ideal i think. We shall see.

PS. I think thats why all the s/c guys are blowing thier seals on the blower. The s/c seal is much weaker than a turbo seal and that extra pressure just blows by.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by gompka
This is probably what we will do. The problem is that rear pcv if you leave it in, sure it closes when your in boost, but thats the problem you loose that extra vent for crank pressure. In an na car that pcv never really closes because you never build pressure in the manifold, your either in vacuum or at atmospheric. Thats why we are thinking we are getting smoke when letting off the gas, only when letting off the gas after being in boost. And if you look on youtube, most other turbo tc's do it also. Routing both of those to a catch can and then routing catch can to intake before turbo would be ideal i think. We shall see.
Leave the rear pcv alone so it still functions as it was intended and then make an additional fitting in the oil cap and route the additional fitting and the front breather to a catch can and the catch can to the intake.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, man bro I feel like I'm arguing with myself. We will test this out and come back with results soon, motor should be getting put back together this week, slowly, but surely.