Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Pictures and video of the Turbonetics Scion Tc Kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good stuff.. your young.. you dont have 987641987414 bills
Old 01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did... turbo kits.com gave me a hella good price.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
Good stuff.. your young.. you dont have 987641987414 bills
Tell me about it
Old 01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea but the whole whoring myself to middle aged women doesnt make the money any cleaner (i babysit, yes a dude that babysits)
Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
i did... turbo kits.com gave me a hella good price.
I'm not just talking about price but they may be able to do some kind of payment plan or something...I don't know...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm cool ill ask
Old 01-13-2006, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by SO-CAL_TC
Im sorry this might have been answered already but i couldnt find it. is the kit smog legal?
It should be soon. Turbonetics has a car they are submitting to CARB for testing to get a cert...looks like its going to pass...

MIAPLAYA - Seriously though, how on earth does Turbonetics expect to have the kit go through CARB without a CAT? I would think that CARB would do the following:

1. Open hood
2. Sees turbo
3. Notices no CAT
4. Closes hood
5. Says bye bye

I'm thinking they might get highway patrol to cite a ticket before they leave too!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by betterthanezra
Originally Posted by SO-CAL_TC
Im sorry this might have been answered already but i couldnt find it. is the kit smog legal?
It should be soon. Turbonetics has a car they are submitting to CARB for testing to get a cert...looks like its going to pass...

MIAPLAYA - Seriously though, how on earth does Turbonetics expect to have the kit go through CARB without a CAT? I would think that CARB would do the following:

1. Open hood
2. Sees turbo
3. Notices no CAT
4. Closes hood
5. Says bye bye

I'm thinking they might get highway patrol to cite a ticket before they leave too!
I don't think you understand what I'm saying by "CARB" CARB is the California Air resources Board. This is the group that tests aftermarket turbo kits, intakes, headers, etc to ensure they do not increase the pollution output of a vehicle beyond acceptable limits. Of course you can't just drive to a smog station and have the car pass smog...UNLESS you have a sticker from the C.A.R.B that exempts the kit from being an automatic failure. Essentially what happens is the car paperwork to request an Exemption Order goes from Turbonetics to C.A.R.B. The Exemption Order or EO is a numbered document exempting the car from failure simply due to it having a turbo kit installed. Once the CARB processes the paperwork they request a car from the company making the kit with the kit, item, etc installed on it to be sent to them for emissions testing. The CARB tests the car to ensure the emissions of the kit do not exceed acceptable standards for it and if it passes they issue the EO to Turbonetics. Turbonetics then sends out the letter and sticker to all current kit owners and includes them with every new kit. From then on when you go to smog the car (which is every 5 years now from the model year of the car so if you have a 2004 car next smog time for you is 2009) they roll the car on the sniffer and get a passing amount. They then perfrom visual. When they pop the hood and see the turbo they will ask you for the EO number. You point to the EO sticker under the engine bay. He punches the EO number into his computer its confirmed as a valid number and you pass. If you are pulled over and the cop asks you about the turbo kit you point him to the EO number and he can't do a thing about it. That in a nutshell is a CARB certification.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the kit will have a cat option with a close coupled cat installed so that you can pass the sniffer. It will be mounted on the downpipe and can be installed to go pass smog at any time. If its anything like the Z cat version you can swap between the no cat pipe and the cat pipe so that you only have to have it on when you actually need to go smog...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member

And the kit will have a cat option with a close coupled cat installed so that you can pass the sniffer. It will be mounted on the downpipe and can be installed to go pass smog at any time. If its anything like the Z cat version you can swap between the no cat pipe and the cat pipe so that you only have to have it on when you actually need to go smog...

Sorry for the stupid questions, but....

If I buy my kit and install it now while Turbonetics goes through CARB cert. If CARB doesn't pass the kit the first time and requires that Turbonetics make changes to the kit to get it to pass......will Turbonetics send me the changes to the kit to make it conform since I would have already owned the kit?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I buy my kit and install it now while Turbonetics goes through CARB cert. If CARB doesn't pass the kit the first time and requires that Turbonetics make changes to the kit to get it to pass......will Turbonetics send me the changes to the kit to make it conform since I would have already owned the kit?
Yes if you bought the kit now and it needed to change to conform to CARB you could call Turbonetics and have them send you the updated piping to make it pass..
Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member

Yes if you bought the kit now and it needed to change to conform to CARB you could call Turbonetics and have them send you the updated piping to make it pass..
Great, would it just be the piping as you stated? How about if the spray pattern on the injectors are fine enough? Or emissions output is too high and won't pass the sniffer test? Will this apply to any and all components that cause the no pass?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great, would it just be the piping as you stated? How about if the spray pattern on the injectors are fine enough? Or emissions output is too high and won't pass the sniffer test? Will this apply to any and all components that cause the no pass?
Yes I believe it would. I will be up at Turbonetics tomorrow and see if I can get some more specs on what they have done so far in relation to CARB and what testing they have already performed...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member

Yes I believe it would. I will be up at Turbonetics tomorrow and see if I can get some more specs on what they have done so far in relation to CARB and what testing they have already performed...
Hopefully they have all of the issues addressed. Could you also ask if the piggyback effects the OBDII port reading because the new smog check machines actually talk to the ECU through the OBDII port to make sure all is in check and I don't know how the piggypack throws off these readings.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default My ? is....

Will this Kit work on a tC with an automatic Tranny(yes please laugh....please)?

and can I keep my foglights with that intercooler.....looks like it will be close
Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no way for the fogs... those things go pretty far back into the engine bay area. not so sure if a auto could handle the 8psi without upgrades. I was gonna do it to my old auto tC but i recently got the 06 in stick so i dunno.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer both questions, the piggy back is undetectable via obd2. Its only function is altering fuel and timing under boost. A Z kit is in the final stages of passing CARB with this exact piggyback..

Second, I will follow up on AT copatibility today
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I'd like to take this time to thank MIAPLAYA for keeping up on the info on this kit. doing a great job @ answering all these questions.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member

yea no kidding....NICE JOB!!!.....Keep us up to date on the A/T!!!

I called Turbonetics today and they said that it should work but may need some fine tuning of the Unichip to prevent Over-revving but let me know if anyone finds out more details!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

any track times?

Quick Reply: Pictures and video of the Turbonetics Scion Tc Kit!!!