Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

plan b aka forget n/a, i want a turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default plan b aka forget n/a, i want a turbo!

okay. i'm guessing that my quest for power will not be satisfied going the n/a route. it looks like f/i is the way, since the motto is: "you gotta pay to play"

now, i am willing to pay, the problem is my time money limitations. since my credit limit is only $3000 i can't afford a stage one kit, and the required clutch upgrade and gauges and then the install. so my plan over the next couple of months is to save up my meager earnings and every month buy a couple of parts that i'll need, and then in the summer, i'll buy a zpi stage 0 kit and get it installed, then get a stage 0 to 1 upgrade and have that installed asap after the stage 0.

so i need help making a list of what i need to stock up on before i order my turbo

1. zpi street clutch
2. ati center triple pod (btw, what gauges will i need? boost, wideband o2 and egt? or air/fuel)
*can't use a-pillar mounting because i have curtain side airbags.
3. gauges that fit ati triple pod (again, which ones do i need?)
4. greddy pressure sensor and harness for running off boost
5. zpi stage 0 kit
6. zpi stage 0-1 kit (or maybe i can get them to finance me the stage 1 kit)

seems almost like a good plan to get 300 whp in time for next fall semester. i'm looking forward to advice, input and encouragment! this is the biggest commitment i've ever thought of making!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you'll definitely need the wideband and boost gauges. also a good place to tune it...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, new thought crossed my mind, will the oem fog lights get in the way of the intercooler?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep they gotta go bye bye, I have the ZPI intercooler, and theres no way, but why would you want foglights blocking that beautiful intercooler that says " ill kick your A$$" lol
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clayisland485
Yep they gotta go bye bye, I have the ZPI intercooler, and theres no way, but why would you want foglights blocking that beautiful intercooler that says " ill kick your A$$" lol
i like to keep it on the downlow, sleeper style so those vettes never see it coming, that is the best way to do it!

actually...that is great news! now i have a reason to get those vrd foglights!+1!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, new question, how many people have gotten a cel with the zpi kit, and is it possible to get rid of it?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vette's, huh? You're looking at roughly 330 whp to compete with a stock C6 Corvette. They also have a drive train advantage. The only way you're going to reasonably beat on a Corvette is by ambushing one so you beat him before he even knows the race has started.

You might want to aim a little lower or upgrade your budget. A stage 1 seems to normally get about 290 whp but the jump from that to 330 is gonna take the car to its limits.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

stage 0 is 230 stage 1 is 300 stage 1.5 is 350+
Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Pillar pod should work with side curtains - the airbag doesn't extend really into the pillar pod. I'll know for sure this weekend when my install's done.

For gauges, go Boost, Wideband O2 (which is A/F), and oil pressure. I'm also putting a transmission temp gauge in my cubbyhole, but that's cuz I'm auto.

You'll need fuel management (not sure if it's part of the ZPI kit), new injectors, new spark plugs, boost controller, etc.

Look at my thread - it has more info on all the stuff you need. I'll be dropping more than $5k total on this install.

Oh yeah - you don't have to go ZPI for everything - shop around for clutches, and possibly different turbo kits (COUGHCOUGHGREDDYCOUGHCOUGH ;) )
Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i know it doesn't all have to be zpi, i just like save on shipping and handling by ordering from one place. also, maybe if somebody from zpi sees this thread they'll offer a sponsorship, lol.

anyway, as far at turbo kits go, once again, i have to spend less than 3000 a month. so i wanted to get a stage 0 for 2600, and then get a stage 0 to 1 kit for another 2000.

i really want the turbonetics kit for their ball-bearing turbo, and they use unichip which is great because there is a unichip tuning place near my house, and they have a great warrenty. but alas, since they usually cost just under 5 grand, i can't even order one.

and new corvettes have a 12 sec 1/4 mile time which is close to what a zpi stage one gets...on drag radials...but still pretty close!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:48 PM
t_C
5 Year Member
SL Member

talk to jesse@turbo-kits.com.

With the holiday special he was able to get me "almost" everything I need for a fully supported turbonetics kit.

It was ~5K for intercooled kit (bb turbo), act street clutch, fidanza flywheel, boost gauge, and turbo timer of choice.

On top of that I spent ~240 for an AEM wideband, which was the only basic item missing.

Installation costs were basically my time, since I did the work myself. The kit and gauges are no big deal...the clutch was a bit of a challenge for a driveway mechanic, but not impossible.

As a bonus they have financing available which should definately be a better rate than your Credit Card.

Give him a shout .... tell hime Dominik sent you.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 501scionxb
stage 0 is 230 stage 1 is 300 stage 1.5 is 350+
Yea that's what it says on their website but when most of the dynos were done they were averaging 290 whp out of the box. Say you get the 20G turbo instead, you're still only going to match the Corvette at best, and then only with drag radials. You're not going to be driving around with drag radials right? But we're also not going to be street racing so that's a moot point. Grab a flywheel and 16" lightweight wheels too and put you ahead by a considerable amount.

My rough estimate of 330 whp is based on simple weight:power ratios so aside from adding power, reducing weight, especially rotating weight, will tip the "scales" even more in your favor.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, the corvette part was just a joke, lets move on.
primary reason i won't use a greddy kit: it requires too much tuning from the end user. it is a less complete kit compared to the turbonetics and zpi kits. and i've read a thread or two about people who who have had problems with the greddy kit while on the the way to get it tuned. since both the zpi and turbonetics come pretunned, i hopefully won't have to worry about that.

i'm not looking for a kit that is meant for some trial and error. i want buy, have installed, and enjoy.

also, i'm not looking much into financing. i have a phobia of financial debt. that is why i want to buy piece by piece and pay it off every month.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I like the all ZPI approach...

With a out of the box stage 1 kit a c5 can be beaten on a regular basis. Any Zo6 or c6 you will need to turn the boost up. We have beaten many corvettes with our tC they are not that fast.

You have a great plan for the build.. Do not cheap out on gauges a $300 gauge is cheaper than an engine. Come here or call us for a referral and get a good tune well worth the money. Our clutches have been tested in turbo tC's for awhile. I can assure you no other clutch has been tested as much or built specifically for a turbo tC. This is all we do.

300whp is very easy on a stage 1 as well as 12 sec passes. We currently have 3 or 4 12 sec customer cars all with off the shelve kits. All dynos read different so do not get to hung up on whp. It can change 50whp by going to another dyno. Dyno charts do not win races....look at our time slips from 18months ago the proof is at the track.

Let me know if you have any other questions..
Old 12-05-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so does that mean i can get a nice little discount?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah call me when you are ready I am sure we can make a package deal......
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm...zpi reccommends boost, wideband o2 and egt. i can under stand why i would need the first two, but why would i need egt and/or oil pressure gauges? i'm trying to limit it to three that will fit in the gauge pod
Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

revised list
1. 4 new iridium spark plugs probably ngk
2. nology hotwires
3. aem wideband, boost and oil pressure gauges
4. vertex racing foglights since the oem ones have to go.
5. ati gauge pod
6. upgraded clutch
7. the turbo kit itself (either zpi stage 1 or turbonetics)
8. i'm thinking about a zpi s-pipe to complement the mid-pipe i already got.

input please :-)
Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

zpi will own my tc as soon as i get it. id love to do a sponsorship.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya know, you could probably put $1000 down in cash or something, and then put the rest on your card. Just an idea...

Quick Reply: plan b aka forget n/a, i want a turbo!