Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

planning a turbo kit on my friends TC

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Default planning a turbo kit on my friends TC

A friend of mine called messaged me the other day (she is currently deployed in Afghanistan), asking me if i would be interested in turbocharging her car (08 tc 5 speed 40k miles currently stock other than trd axle back) when she gets back.

the budget is set at around 7 grand. The car is her daily driver and she just wants more power. her goal is pretty wide at 250-300 horse power at the tires. I am thinking of a low boost tune (4-6 lbs) for DD duty and a "high boost" tune (8-12 range or whatevers safe) for if she wants to have fun

I did some shopping on dezods website and also did some on ptuning's site. personally I found ptunings website to be cumbersome to browse for parts on, so i sent them a list of stuff i was looking at to see what they offer thats comprable (no response yet)

so far i have

dezod S2 turbo kit with aem standalone
dezod s-pipe back exhaust
aem water/meth injection system
aem serial data stream gauge
aem electrical oil pressure gauge
autometer dual gauge pod (a pillar)
hks type 1 turbo timer
deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump
act street clutch kit (reuse stock flexplate)
Ngk irridium spark plugs (one step colder then stock)

I know that some of these things are probably not required at this level but i want to overplan this so that in the future if she wants more power (to a point obviously) its just upping the boost and a tune away

what i am here for is for you guys to critique this build list and let me know if there is anything i need, or dont need

I thank you guys for your help
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id go with a 3inch turboback
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 AM

oh thats one thing i forgot to mention is she wants a mild sounding exhaust, she doesnt mind some noise when at full throttle but she doesnt want it buzzy or obnoxious at cruizing at light to moderate throttle. she likes the sound and db level of her trd axle back and wants to stay as close to that as possible

so if anyone has a link to a moderately quiet 3 inch exhaust feel free to post a link
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The exhaust I have has a huge resonator on it. I bought it from nvmytc on here. You can search his SN and find video clips of how it sounds.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM

also people with the s2 kit, when are you seeing boost start, and when do you see full boost
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jester1614
also people with the s2 kit, when are you seeing boost start, and when do you see full boost

i have the s1 kit which is the same as the s2 kit,only difference is s2 comes with the aem standalone...i start spooling around 3500 rpms..
Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This will be contingent upon tuning and exhaust run. I have seen full boost of 12 PSI on our S2 with the AEM around 3300-3600 in 3rd or 4th.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

A friend of mine called messaged me the other day (she is currently deployed in Afghanistan), asking me if i would be interested in turbocharging her car (08 tc 5 speed 40k miles currently stock other than trd axle back) when she gets back.

the budget is set at around 7 grand. The car is her daily driver and she just wants more power. her goal is pretty wide at 250-300 horse power at the tires. I am thinking of a low boost tune (4-6 lbs) for DD duty and a "high boost" tune (8-12 range or whatevers safe) for if she wants to have fun

I did some shopping on dezods website and also did some on ptuning's site. personally I found ptunings website to be cumbersome to browse for parts on, so i sent them a list of stuff i was looking at to see what they offer thats comprable (no response yet)

so far i have

dezod S2 turbo kit with aem standalone
dezod s-pipe back exhaust
aem water/meth injection system
aem serial data stream gauge
aem electrical oil pressure gauge
autometer dual gauge pod (a pillar)
hks type 1 turbo timer
deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump
act street clutch kit (reuse stock flexplate)
Ngk irridium spark plugs (one step colder then stock)

I know that some of these things are probably not required at this level but i want to overplan this so that in the future if she wants more power (to a point obviously) its just upping the boost and a tune away

what i am here for is for you guys to critique this build list and let me know if there is anything i need, or dont need

I thank you guys for your help
Thanks jester1614.
PM sent.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM
SL Member

i have a 3" ptuning turboback version 2 muffler.. i like the sound of it a lot, mellow deep sounding. If she wants to keep the noise down look into recirculating the wastegate also. just a thought